REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Lytle Creek fish conservation

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Lytle Creek fish conservation

Postby The Steady Foot » November 16th, 2011, 5:06 pm

I know this should be in the conservation section but I think it'll get more attention here.

Fontana Water Co. began repairs to the reservoir at the bottom of Lytle Creek yesterday. I went down today to survey the damage and saw thousands of rainbow trout fry dying in muddy pools and spoke with a worker who said that other workers were netting and killing fish yesterday (PM me for more info on that).

Here's the letter I wrote to Robert Young, General Manager of FWC:

To: Mr. Robert Young,
My name is ..., a Lytle Creek resident and avid catch and release flyfisher. As an outdoorsman I also consider it my duty to provide stewardship of the national forest and its unique resources, especially in urbanized southern California.

This week Fontana Water began repairs on the small reservoir toward the bottom of Lytle Creek canyon. Lytle Creek was blocked from entering the reservoir and part of the dam was removed, emptying the small ‘lake.’

I went to the area today to fish and to get an idea of how the water distributed down the wash. I noticed a worker netting a rainbow trout and placing it into a bucket. Upon discussion with the man I learned that he was attempting to re-locate the fish into the stream. I found this to be commendable and I thanked the man profusely.

However, during my discussion with the Fontana Water worker I learned that other workers, on Tuesday November 15, netted and killed some rainbow trouts, presumably to eat. I also noticed literally thousands of rainbow trout fry, or baby fishes, lying to die in muddy pools left-over from the washout of the reservoir. I was disappointed but also thoughtful about the situation. My curiosity peaked and I made a phone call to Fontana Water and spoke with Supervisor Mick who suggested I write a letter to voice my concerns and my willingness to volunteer in future fish relocation efforts.

Lytle Creek is a delicate riparian habitat existing among dry desert and urbanization. The California Department of Fish and Game does not currently stock Lytle Creek (and has not since Spring, 2008) with any type of fish. Only the naturally reproducing wild populations of various species of fishes maintain the biodiversity that is crucial to the health of the ecosystem.

I realize that on average years, the stream dries up or stagnates lower in the canyon and the small reservoir is usually low or dry. The excessive rains we had last year provided a unique opportunity for fish in Lytle creek to reproduce. The spring spawn was greatly successful, as I can attest to having fished Lytle Creek extensively over the last ~5 years, but especially this year. However, many of the offspring from this years’ spawn are dying as I type this letter.

My purpose is to bring to your attention the delicacy and importance of Lytle Creek and its fishery as well as to offer any help I can give in future fish relocation efforts. I also think it important to bring to your attention the consequences of the current dam repairs on the Lytle Creek fishery. I believe, through my discussion with Supervisor Mick, that Fontana Water is interested in providing great service to residents of our area while considering the environmental impact in Lytle Creek. I would like to mention again my willingness to volunteer in future fish relocation efforts in any capacity, from organization to fish wrangler or any other duty that Fontana Water and/or its collaborators would have me.

So, any thoughts or suggestions on further steps? Am I over-reacting? I generally take the apathetic approach to activism because I'm also super-cynical so I'm new to this, but dammn, somethings gotta be done, right? Wrong?
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too, you can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe....
The Steady Foot

Re: Lytle Creek fish conservation

Postby beachbum » November 16th, 2011, 5:55 pm

Well done! Hopefully they will reply with a willingness to correct the situation. Keep us in the loop.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby lucfish » November 16th, 2011, 6:52 pm

It's just a never ending struggle. Hopefully you can get some results. It'll be hard though.
lucfish

Postby The Steady Foot » November 17th, 2011, 11:35 am

I left messages with DFG people yesterday and spoke with a DFG environmental scientist for our regoin this morning. DFG's concern is for the speckled dace, but any heat they can put on FWC is probably a good thing for trout too.

To sum up what I have learned from the FWC guy and DFG, several years ago FWC had to obtain a special permit to work on the dam. They had to collect, count, and relocate ALL speckled dace. This may have been a multiple year permit which means they may have acted in compliance with the regulations set for that permit.

However, it is apparent that FWC had no plan in place to relocate any type of fish during the current repairs.

Hot off the press: spoke with the scientist as I type this and she's going out there right now!! Yay!!
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too, you can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe....
The Steady Foot

Postby rayfound » November 17th, 2011, 3:19 pm

Very cool.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby johnnhoj » November 17th, 2011, 10:38 pm

right on!
Go Lakers!
johnnhoj

Postby John Harper » November 18th, 2011, 7:21 am

Great that you took immediate action!!!!

John
John Harper

Postby Artin » November 18th, 2011, 2:42 pm

I've been keeping up with this thread. I have a question regarding the enforcement of relocating, weather dace or trout. How would the dfg make sure that they do relocate the fish for sure every time they come across them. Would they have someone there at all times supervising the project, making sure that all the fish are relocated, or would they just show up once in a while to check up on the status. In the case of the latter, if they cut corners then there really isn't a sure way of knowing if the job got done so how do they go about it?

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby The Steady Foot » November 19th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Bummer, I am not entitled to any further information regarding this issue. Hopefully my letter is responded to but as of now it looks like the info well has done dried up. I have been told by DFG that the issue will be investigated, for what that's worth (I'm optimistic tho as the person I spoke with seemd VERY interested)

Artin, from what I gathered it seems FWC has to contact DFG when conducting these types of repairs, not sure if DFG keeps up with them or how. An obvious potential for abuse, huh? FWC did not contact the enviro scientist this time around so I think that's part of DFG's continued interest in this matter.

I'll be sure to post any new info on the matter.
The Steady Foot

Postby Wildman » November 19th, 2011, 5:10 pm

For what it is worth....DFG was definitely notified and followed up that day. Not sure what their actions might be but they seemed very interested. USFS also was also very aware of it but the fish are the DFG's domain. You did good to report it.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Trootfisher » December 15th, 2011, 11:48 am

FYI- Here is the info on DFG jurisdiction in a matter such as this.
There are laws in the Fish and Game Code that regulate such activities.
See FGC 1600 et seq.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/habcon/1600/
Trootfisher

Return to General Fly Fishing