REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The River Why (Movie)

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

The River Why (Movie)

Postby jazz on the fly » November 8th, 2011, 10:24 pm

Has anyone actually seen the movie version of The River Why? I saw on The Chum that the dvd was available and I was thinking about ordering it. However, I really don't really want to drop $25 for it if it's a disaster.
jazz on the fly

Re: The River Why (Movie)

Postby beachbum » November 8th, 2011, 11:08 pm

It was ok. It's been on the cable channels too. I bet it's better on the big screen.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Benny » November 9th, 2011, 11:39 am

I watched it on Showtime a few months ago, the movie is super slow... One time was enough for me, I wouldn't pay for the DVD/Blueray, it's not worth it in my opinion. Save your money ;)
Benny

Postby Dry Fly Rie » November 9th, 2011, 11:44 am

It was on Showtime a few months ago. I was pretty unimpressed as a whole. The cinematography and water shots were pretty spectacular, but I had a hard time staying interested in the story. I'm sure there were some deeper metaphors that I just wasn't getting, and I haven't read the book to get a better idea of the story. I was kind of put off by the fact that the main character basically kept every fish that he caught. I know he was roughing it out in the wildneress and supposedly eating his catch, but the c&r guy in me thought it would have been a really cool platform to share some the benefits of catch and release to a larger audience. In my opinion, it's worth watching, but I wouldn't pay $25 to own it.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby highflyer » November 9th, 2011, 4:56 pm

I ordered it from Netflix a while ago and just received it yesterday. I'll let you know what its like on my new 40" wide LCD eye poppin' screen.

Alan
highflyer

Postby atomicfly » November 12th, 2011, 10:02 am

right, netflix has it available on disc, not instant streaming (yet). blockbuster might have it streaming (if you have the hardware which includes computers). amazon has the DVD for $10, blueray for $15. you could find it cheaper than $25 on ebay. can't remember when i last spent more than $15 on a new dvd in a store... can't remember when i last bought a DVD in a store....

eric
fresno, ca.
atomicfly

Postby highflyer » November 12th, 2011, 5:49 pm

IMHO...

I watched the movie and enjoyed it overall. A bit hokey and slow here and there for my taste, but the scenes of fly fishing and fish hitting the flys were enough to make the time watching it worthwhile. However, be prepared to see lots of fish get bonked on the head and thrown into an ice chest.

Alan
highflyer

Return to General Fly Fishing