REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Hi-Viz Question

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Hi-Viz Question

Postby Dry Fly Rie » August 28th, 2011, 9:41 pm

I've been reading a lot about Hi-Viz patterns on different sites, and have seen several reports of guys using Hi-Viz flies. My question is:
Does the use of Hi-Viz coloration/materials have a negative impact on the fish being interested in the fly, or can the fish not "see" the bright colors above the water

I understand why people use these flies because they are easier to see (especially in the smaller size), but I'm just curious if you guys have experienced fewer strikes while using the bright colored flies.

Thanks.
Dry Fly Rie

Re: Hi-Viz Question

Postby Papasequoia » August 28th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Dry Fly Rie wrote:I've been reading a lot about Hi-Viz patterns on different sites, and have seen several reports of guys using Hi-Viz flies. My question is:
Does the use of Hi-Viz coloration/materials have a negative impact on the fish being interested in the fly, or can the fish not "see" the bright colors above the water

I understand why people use these flies because they are easier to see (especially in the smaller size), but I'm just curious if you guys have experienced fewer strikes while using the bright colored flies.

I don't think so - if brightly colored flies were a problem then we would have to throw out the whole box of attractor patterns! I was tying up some parachute ants for someone recently and tried out four or five different recipes, so I can share some of the websites I found to save you some time.

The person had specifically asked for a hi-vis version of a couple of flies (adams and ants). There was one website that I found that showed the ant pattern as seen from below with underwater pictures (they ride pretty low in the water). This person had recommended leaving the post very long as it could be trimmed down if needed. In these underwater pics from below the post was invisible (can't find the site now, I think I have it bookmarked on a different computer). A lot of the patterns that I came across either tied in a high vis color like yellow or red, or they stated in the instructions that you could use a variety of post colors. I've never found that the color of the post affects how well any of my parachute patterns fish, and since I have poor eyesight, I will fish a parachute dry before I will fish a regular (bwo for example). Here's a couple of links to a similar pattern to the one I ended up tying. I like the parachute style much more than the traditional ant pattern of wrapping the hackle around the body, but that might just be because of my eyesight.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/detail.cfm?parentID=31

http://www.orvisnews.com/FlyFishing/Tying-the-Parachute-Ant.aspx

Here's a discussion from another forum on hi-vis colors that I came across while googling my time away, and another short article on post colors. Since I am colorblind I wanted to find the most popular colors for posts, so I did a bunch of searches before starting to tie.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/printthread.php?t=40335&pp=10

http://easternwoodsandwaters.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19:hi-visibility-parachute-posts&catid=12:fly-fishing&Itemid=69

http://flyforums.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=print&thread=2038

If I find those underwater pictures I will add them.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby NorcalBob » August 29th, 2011, 6:36 am

These old eyes now require hi-viz patterns! :cry:
But I can safely say, they have not had a negative impact on the number of fishies I hook, and in fact I have started hooking even more fish now that I can actually see that tiny #$%^&^*&* fly on the water! :rockon:
NorcalBob

Postby WanderingBlues » August 29th, 2011, 7:13 am

Papasequoia wrote:I was tying up some parachute ants for someone recently. The person had specifically asked for a hi-vis version of a couple of flies (adams and ants).

I was the person (ssshhhhhhhhhh...). Papa did an amazing job of tying a body that really resembled the big black ants we get in my area. Then, he added in some hackle to keep the low profile body nice and buoyant. But, I'm really having a * of a time tracking small flies this season. I blame it one my TXL casting much further for the effort than my old stick and I have not created 'muscle memory' as to track where the new landing zones are. :D My wife says I'm blind.... :ugeek: In any event, the hi-vis post is perfect in shade and low light fishing. It sits so compactly on top of the fly, I'd doubt the fish see it until it's already sliding in the lip.

Here's two that Jon tied. I believe size 14. Trout candy!

"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby planettrout » August 29th, 2011, 7:58 am

Dry Fly Rie wrote:I've been reading a lot about Hi-Viz patterns on different sites, and have seen several reports of guys using Hi-Viz flies. My question is:

Thanks.

Don't forget using Hi-Vis black... in some lighting situations, it is easier to see than any other color:

http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/shop/b ... ple_black/

PT/TB :idea:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby tenandtwo » August 29th, 2011, 9:35 am

I wish I could ask each fish I see move up toward my fly, then for whatever reason turn and refuse it... WHY???

Wrong size? Wrong bug? Wrong color? Drag? Saw the tippit? Combination or all of the above? I don't use a lot of hi-viz, but if you can't see the fly it is not much good. I am sure color is a factor some of the time, how much, I don't know, so many variables and conditions, I think color is less important than some other factors.
tenandtwo

Postby FlyinFish » August 29th, 2011, 9:37 am

I have wondered the same thing many times, but neither the local trouts, nor the super picky I won't eat anything bigger than a size 20 trouts seems to mind the post.

Just a little tip - I use the white post material and color it with a Sharpie to whatever color I want. Orange and pink/red have worked the best for me, but teal also works nicely. The ink usually last much longer than the fly does.
FlyinFish

Postby Dry Fly Rie » August 30th, 2011, 9:04 am

Good stuff. Thanks everyone for all of the info. I kind of figured the color didn't make a difference to the fish, but it's good to have some anecdotal evidence to support it. Thanks, Papa for all of the links, too.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby rayfound » August 30th, 2011, 8:44 pm

I would say that in MOST fishing conditions, that part above the water appears mainly in silhouette, color mattering very little.

Under some conditions I could see color being more of a factor, but overall I think the color of the fly that sits IN the water is far more crucial that the color which sits above.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Return to General Fly Fishing