REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

OMG New DFG Director

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

OMG New DFG Director

Postby NorcalBob » August 26th, 2011, 3:27 pm

I don't believe my eyes!!! Finally a Director of DFG that's not a back pocket resource raper!!! Of course, the position still requires confirmation.
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Governor Brown Announces Appointments
Charlton “Chuck” Bonham, 43, of Albany, has been appointed director of the California Department of Fish and Game. Bonham has served in multiple positions at Trout Unlimited since 2000, including California director and senior attorney. He was an instructor and trip leader for the Nantahala Outdoor Center from 1994 to 1997 and was a small business development agent for the United States Peace Corp in Senegal, West Africa from 1991 to 1993. This position requires Senate confirmation and the compensation is $150,112. Bonham is a Democrat.
NorcalBob

Re: OMG New DFG Director

Postby Artin » August 27th, 2011, 10:46 am

Don't know this dude! but from what you've said sounds good to me!
DrCreek wrote:I smell more Barbless Only / C&R zones !!

I like et!

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby RiverRat » August 27th, 2011, 11:19 am

WoW! I had the honor of talking with the outgoing :deadhorse: on a couple occasions :roll:

thanks!

shane
RiverRat

Postby tenandtwo » August 27th, 2011, 10:53 pm

Thanks for the info... got a little bit more info out on trout underground's e-mail today. Hopefully this guy gets the job, I like his credentials. More barbless C&R zones would be awesome.
tenandtwo

Postby Bakoguy » August 28th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Just a little different thought. On the surface this all seems good because of his background. However, I do not feel comfortable with "advocates" in any APPOINTED government position especially those with legal backgrounds. That should not be the role of government appointees even if they share your views. Nonetheless, the positive in my mind is that for the first time I know of a person with a significant fisherman's background will hold title to the office. Hopefully, he is a very fair director and will devote time and direct his wardens to spend time on fishing issues.
Bakoguy

Postby 1mocast » August 28th, 2011, 1:49 pm

I wonder how this will affect the saltwater sportfisherman?
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby BobK » August 28th, 2011, 2:55 pm

and the hunters?
BobK

Postby RiverRat » August 28th, 2011, 3:56 pm

I'm just :bananadance: that a person with background experience with something to do with the OUTDOORS might get the position. Most appointees see Disneyland as the wilderness and are clueless about hunting, fishing, or even car camping for that matter.

shane
RiverRat

Postby NorcalBob » August 28th, 2011, 4:46 pm

I :bananadance: what Shane said. You aren't going to find a person that has a background in every subject. At least this one is not in the back pocket of resource rapers like the previous ones. And that will be a nice change for once! :rockon:
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » August 29th, 2011, 12:32 pm

This does sound good, but I'm still cautiously optimistic. This is, after all, the CALIFORNIA DF&G.

briansII
briansII

Postby 87TT » August 31st, 2011, 3:39 pm

I don't think anything will change. The bureaucracy in the DFG is well entrenched and incompetent. I applied and tested for game warden a couple of years ago. They screwed me around so bad, I gave up. First they sent me a notice for a test for the wrong position. Then when I called them, they changed it to the right position and sent me a card with a test date and location. It was at the office in San Diego. I went the night before and got a Motel room so I could be there on time. When I arrived at the time and place on my notification card, me and several other guys were informed that oops! we made a mistake. We were supposed to be in Los Alamitos and that they would have to reschedule our tests. Two days wasted plus gas,food and lodging. I finally got to take the test and got a 100% score. I waited and waited for them to call and start the process. Well when I called them, they said I probably wouldn't be called because I was in group 7. Huh? Turns out because I took my test on a different day(their fault) they mistakenly put me in my own group. The leutenant I spoke to was rude and no help. I just told them I was no longer interested.
DFG also has out of state contractors handling online license sales and that company uses another out of state company for handling credit card sales. Because of their system having a glich, I was charged for and sent four fishing licenses with no way for them to credit it back to my card. I finally resolved it with my card company. California's unemployment is out of controll but the state sends jobs out. So no I don't think things will change much because some guy who happens to fish gets the top job. And if it does, it will probably get worse. My $.02
87TT

Postby RiverRat » September 1st, 2011, 7:17 am

I already like this guy!!!!!!!! The forces are lining up to battle against his appointment.

Ranchers in Norcal, Klamath region, are freaking out and starting petitions against Bonham and his radical environmental views :rockon:

shane
RiverRat

Postby Trootfisher » September 1st, 2011, 2:14 pm

DrCreek wrote:
I smell more Barbless Only / C&R zones !!

Keep in mind- fishing regulations come from the FGC, and not the DFG.
Trootfisher

Postby NorcalBob » September 1st, 2011, 3:08 pm

Indeed, FGC has to approve all fishing regulations. However, DFG does provide input and recommendations to the FGC on fishing regulations. So the Director can indeed influence regulations, just as any one can petition FGC for regulations changes, and this is a common approach for fishing organizations.
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » September 1st, 2011, 3:24 pm

RiverRat wrote:I already like this guy!!!!!!!!
Ranchers in Norcal, Klamath region, are freaking out and starting petitions against Bonham and his radical environmental views :rockon:

shane

That might be a bigger endorsement than the Cal Trout one. :lol:

briansII
briansII

Return to General Fly Fishing