REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Campsite Suggestions for San Diego County

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Campsite Suggestions for San Diego County

Postby SaltyFresh » July 19th, 2011, 3:40 pm

Hi guys,

Anyone know of any nice spots to camp this coming weekend: July 22-24 without a reservation?
Me and my fiance are heading down from Los Angeles to the Comic Con Convention in downtown San Diego on Sunday, and we want to camp Friday & Saturday night on our way down.

Campsite does not have to be really close to downtown SD. I was thinking La Jolla area or maybe even Solana.

We would love to wake up and throw some flies, salt or fresh water.

I am going to start making calls to campsites, but would love some insight from any of you guys who have actually camped in these spots.

Thanks in Advance!

Greg & Rach
SaltyFresh

Re: Campsite Suggestions for San Diego County

Postby Waterborne » July 19th, 2011, 6:42 pm

For this time of year, most of the popular State Park campsites get booked 7 months in advance. The booking window opens 7 month prior to the month of the desired reservation date. Most sites get reserved within the first hour they become available online.

Not sure if there are walk in sites available, but you'll probably have to play some serious waiting game. Cheap motels might be a better option.
Waterborne

Postby Dry Fly Rie » July 19th, 2011, 7:45 pm

In case you haven't already looked into it, check out this link... http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/parks/Camping/info.html

I've never stayed at any of these parks, so I can't give you any suggestions, but good luck.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby mike.s » July 19th, 2011, 9:18 pm

for sure check out the county sites above, like doc said the coast camp grounds are ALL boocked 6-7 months in advance....besides a hotel... the county parks are about your only option in SD this weekend.. and even the hotels are packed already for this weekend (north and south county)......
as for the county parks above... you better make reservation NOW, because most of those parks are totally full for this weekend.. i did a quick check and most of those are fill up fast or are already full for the dates you want, the web site above has a good on-line res system where you can put in the dates and see what open for this weekend....you can always drive in every day from LA :mrgreen:
mike.s

Postby SaltyFresh » July 19th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Thx everyone! Always helpful!

We are looking into campgrounds near lake cuyamaca.

Any tips for that area? :)
SaltyFresh

Postby mike.s » July 19th, 2011, 11:43 pm

try here for camp sites reservations....
http://www.lakecuyamaca.org/camping.htm

heres 3 more camp grounds... i just checked these for you and all three sites looked reserved for at least fri and sat.....but check them out anyway...they all use reserveusa to make reservations.
http://www.totalescape.com/destin/lakes/cuyamaca.html
mike.s

Postby Jim T » July 20th, 2011, 2:14 pm

If all else fails, and you're self contained, there's always Walmart :D

Jim
Jim T

Return to General Fly Fishing