REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

What do yo do to relax when you can't fish?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

What do yo do to relax when you can't fish?

Postby flybob » November 1st, 2008, 11:14 am

So, when you are not fly fishing, what do you do for relaxation?

At the end of my workday, I come home from a long commute, walk my best four legged friend for about a mile, take a shower, mix up my favorite beverage, select a smoke from my humidor, pick a mag from a stack of many, go out onto the patio and enjoy for about an hour!

Sometimes I will rig up a rod and reel and practice my short game out in the yard targeting under and around the bushes. When the weather turns, I will tie up some flies and dream of the trophy dinks I will catch with them!

I have to say that since I was intoduced to this sport, by my good friend Mark (1mocast), life has taken on a whole different meaning for me, for the better! I have met some really great people, both on the net and in person. I can only pray that my God allows me the means and the health to continue for a good long time to come.

Bob
Dink-Meister
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: What do yo do to relax when you can't fish?

Postby 1mocast » November 1st, 2008, 11:28 am

Right back at ya bob...

My form of relaxation...research, boob tube, sleep. :ugeek:
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Barrie Mann » November 1st, 2008, 1:48 pm

Relaxaction? what does that mean? :D :D Bob other than taking something from a Humidor your approach seems pretty good.
Myself I read a lot and write some. I've been lucky enough to get published a few times and get paid for doing so. When I'm not reading or writing I'm tying. However, sometimes I just veg out with a good bottle of Cabernet, I especially enjoy doing that when I take the RV out for a few days. Other than that I also work a little. :D :D :D
Barrie Mann

Postby Papasequoia » November 1st, 2008, 1:57 pm

Does practicing onanism count? :twisted:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby flybob » November 1st, 2008, 2:18 pm

Papasequoia wrote:Does practicing onanism count? :twisted:

Jon, dude, whatever floats you boat!

Quite frankly this has to be the second time in my life that I have see that word used!

I hear it is a great stress reliver! :?
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby flybob » November 1st, 2008, 2:30 pm

Barrie Mann wrote:Relaxaction? what does that mean? :D :D Bob other than taking something from a Humidor your approach seems pretty good.
Myself I read a lot and write some. I've been lucky enough to get published a few times and get paid for doing so. When I'm not reading or writing I'm tying. However, sometimes I just veg out with a good bottle of Cabernet, I especially enjoy doing that when I take the RV out for a few days. Other than that I also work a little. :D :D :D

Barrie, as far as the humidor goes, I have only been indulging for the past year. I was diagnosed with the early stages of athrosclorosis (sp) (hey Craig when you gonna put a spell checker on this?) last year, I am 53. I figured that not smokeing for the past 52 years, I have afforded myself some time to really enjoy the things I have denied myself under the guise of healthy living. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to tempt the Gods, I just feel that by making the Half Century mark, I have already beat the odds, I figure that if I live to be 95 instead of 100, I will have done well!

My hats off to you on you accomplishements! I have always felt that those with gift of the pen and the word were very lucky indeed.

Now if anything puts me under prematurely, it's gonna be the Bombay Sapphire!
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Sasha » November 1st, 2008, 4:07 pm

Let’s see, some of the other thing that I do when I am not fishing include. Going to the shooting range (it is a great stress reliever), going on walks with the wife and kids, messing around with flight simulators on my PC, hanging out and shooting the breeze with the wife, reading various articles on Trout oh and I can’t forget posting on this site. But I could end up typing out quite a few pages on the other activities I do when I am not fishing.

ETA: I used to fly often (was going for my CPL), but when my wife got pregnant with our 3rd child I decided not to spend the extra cash, so I put the CPL thing on hold.

Or sometimes my wife and I go hit a bar for a quick drink. One time recently (two weeks ago) she decided to enter the "hometown hottie" contest and won :o

Here is a pic of her getting her award

Sasha

Postby Flyjunkie » November 2nd, 2008, 8:32 am

Well.... Besides the expected Reading about Flyfishing and tying flies (I'm on a Binge tying saltwater flies right now.. I'm way overstocked..but it's all good). I find the Following past times enjoyable when not Fishing...

I love listening to Music.. I have an extremely Eclectic Taste in Music and I'm fairly certain Most of You folks have never heard of the majority of what I listen to... but that's OK... I enjoy it immensely and that's what Counts... 8-)

I enjoy Reading North American Archaeological Manuscripts ~ this being an offshoot of My Majoring in California Archaeology in College... It's pretty dry reading for most Folks, but I find it very enjoyable and educational... :geek:

I love reading about Ancient Egypt, Ancient Rome, The Crusades and the Byzantine Empire.. again it's the History that I Find interesting...

I Really Love to go out and Hunt Arrowheads.. Been back into doing it these past 4 years after a Hiatus of 16 years.. I seem to be trying to make up for Lost time as I do it weekly from about Now until Late Spring...(Of course if a Fishing outing Comes up, I skip the "Head Hunting")
I also Hunt Fossils, but really haven't done it in sometime... I am recorded at the Los Angeles Natural History Museum as having found the First Megalodon Shark Tooth in the Santa Monica Mountains... it's about 4 inches long :o

I lately have gotten back into Gems and Minerals Collecting with My Father.. It's a good exercise for him and he really likes the Colourful Agates, Jaspers and such that we will locate.. i just like being out in the Desert during the Cooler Months...

I like to Study California Gold Rush history, but must admit I'm not all that Knowledgeable about it... Also, you get me on a Road that goes near a Ghost Town and I'll certain go visit it and explore... Very interesting to see the ruins and try to imagine what it must have been like living back during those often trying times... (I avoid Calico Ghost Town near Barstow thought.. It's an Amusement Park built up by the Knott's berry Farm Folks..not an Actual Ghost Town)

I Enjoy going to Museums alot..

I am trying to get into Drinking Wine..(My Doctor said Red Wine is good for my Anemia)..but it's Kinda weird as I am a Beer man for the Most Part.. I guess give it a little time... :?

Playing with My Chihuahua ~ Zelda~ is alot of Fun.....

There's some other "Non Flyfishing" activities that I've been known to do.. but these cover most of my "off Time"....
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby Rob909 » November 2nd, 2008, 8:55 am

Well……aside from all the common stuff like surfing the net, bs’ing with neighbors (picture Hank Hill style :lol: ), reading my favorite magazine, or scouring my topo maps dreaming of next years adventures……….I really enjoy the game of baseball, and so do my kids..

But I’m too old and round to play myself, so I enjoy getting out in the yard with my kids and playing catch or having them swing the bat in the driveway at the “hit n stick”. If time allows, we will go up to the local school or park and take some live batting practice, grounders, pop-ups, etc…..

As long as they continue to enjoy it, then I will as well…..as I really do find it relaxing :)

And aside from just having fun with the kids, the practice pays off on game days…….sometimes :?: :)

Here’s my son under my watchful eye ;)

And my daughter……just happy to be wearing her uniform :D

It's all good :) :) :)

Rob
Rob909

Postby midger » November 2nd, 2008, 9:38 am

Interesting sidelines and hobbies y'all have.

I am an outdoorsy type so most of my activities revolve around those types of activities. I enjoy soccer (playing and coaching and I was the high school's girls varsity coach until two years ago), houseboating with wakeboarding and water skiing thrown in, whitewater rafting, snow skiing ( I was an instructor for many years), backpacking and hiking, visiting with family in Idaho, and travelling to other countries.

I also tie flies and build rods, read a lot, spend too much time on the computer, enjoy working around the house and doing wood working in the shop.

I enjoy fine wines and not so fine wines (like $2 Chuck). I like most beers, but gave up smoking some 30 years ago.

I am 6'7", weigh 225, 25 years old with a MD degree..............ah, wait, this isn't a dating site, right? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Papasequoia » November 2nd, 2008, 12:15 pm

Outdoors activities: Backpacking, hiking, downhill skiing, xc skiing, tennis, travel, and I actually enjoy working in my yard and vegetable garden.

Indoors activities: Reading (lots, usually I'm in the middle of 2-3 books at the same time), watching films, especially indie films or foreign films (usually several per week), brewing beer and drinking wine, tying flies (need to do more of that), reading or (hopefully) writing fishing reports, way too many hours on the computer, partially justified because it is part of my job. I need to find a way to make reading/writing fishing reports a part of my job. :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Autodave » November 2nd, 2008, 7:11 pm

This corner of my garage say's a mouthfull for me:

My other garage is full of woodworking stuff,I make everything from furniture to flyboxes:

Autodave

Postby 1mocast » November 2nd, 2008, 7:41 pm

Dave,
WOW! That is some amazing woodworking.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby mtnguru » November 2nd, 2008, 8:24 pm

Dave, I second that! Those fly boxes are gorgeous.

When I'm not fishing, I definitely still get out. I like the desert and do a lot of backpacking in Joshua Tree and Anza Borrego. I have a wonderful girfriend that I've molded into my hiking partner. I now have to plan a trip with her every so often or she starts to get the hiking itch. When I'm at home I do a lot of movie watching, that and watching re-runs of Survivorman :lol: A favorite hobby of mine that has been on hold this summer is Homebrewing. I am somewhat of a beer snob and enjoy making my own brews. Of course I am always thinking about my next big fishing/backpacking venture.
mtnguru

Postby rayfound » November 2nd, 2008, 9:10 pm

WOW
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing