REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

Postby Eric » January 2nd, 2009, 7:41 am

Welcome to the site troutkind
Eric
Eric

Postby ashtree1 » January 9th, 2009, 2:17 am

here is my story of addiction: late 80's when I was like 7,8,9yrs old I would stay awake at night couldn't sleep, couldn't wait until 4am to walk to Roeding Park here in Fresno, Ca to fish for BlueGill using fishing line I bought at K-Mart, a small hook, and a limb from a tree as a rod. I would also lay in wait for crawdads to climb up to the top of the walls of the pond and very quickly grab them and would catch'em all day until the evening when someone would eventually find me and pry me from those ponds :D :D :D Lived in the ghetto, most of my family was in gangs, jail, or barely getting by . So the ponds at roeding or when the canals got low were the only fishing options for me and a safe place. So I would take advantage until my early teens when gangs, drugs, and girls were a gravitational force that got hold of me and most of the kids in my neighborhood/ Pops wasn't around and my mother passed in 92 when I was 12, So fishing would take a back seat until I got out of all that. In 2001 Got out of that life style and got my life on track college, 2 jobs, and a beautiful daughter but in 2005 got a messy divorce which got me thinking alot about my childhood and what I missed out on so on.... Woke up one day bought a rod at walmart and some worms and headed out to San Joaquin river Throwing senkos for trout ( so lost) would go out to Millerton using powerbait for bass ( didn't know what I was doing) on the LKR throwing bass lures ( pathetic). After putting way too many days on the water without catching anything frustration and Desperation lead me to stop being so prideful and stupid and ask someone. Was learning somethings from some cable shows but it was more for guys on boats and I am on the bank skunking it up really bad fishing for bass/trout/anything really. I put like 200 days on the water in 2005-2006 catching some fish here and there all bass. got brave and started walking up on guys at SJ River, LKR, Millerton Lake, Pine Flat Lake and asking questions most of the info was deception/wrong info. So one day asked a guy at walmart and he gave me a short and simple tactic and it was some of the greatest bass fishing advice I have ever got period. Of course in 2007 my catch rates jumped up and later in the year met a guy at a printing company where I worked as a janitor and he was a fly fishermen Darrin He got me interested :D :D went out to Big 5 sporting goods and bought a 5ft fly rod??? and took it to herb bauer to line it up and he said " I have no equipment for that, its the wrong rod for trout/wrong wrong." So got the St. Croix beginner combo and started out. during that time I learned about the forums, fly fishing, and info on knots from Darrin while at work I would pass and peep out the posts and stories and he was cool as well as his friend randy. So went out late 2007-2008 and would skunk it up majorly. was doing things a** backwards should of started at step 1 but jumped to step 17 trying to tie my own leaders before how to even hold the rod. :| :| :| So did like 2-3 weeks of fly fishing on the local rivers and was humbled quickly and frustration set in and summer came around so went back to spin fishing fishing for bass. The itch would come back every now and then and would go out to the park and practice cast. Then started thinking about taking my 5Wt. out to the lake for some bass fly action. So went out and casting was really hard using those big bass flies and got success immediately. So in the back of my mind I knew my first trout was a possibility now. So went back to the drawing board, learning as much about the history of fly fishing, asking alot of questions, and reading alot of books. Then asked the local fly club caster for help and got some lessons and it dawned on me how technical fly fishing is. So soaked up as much as I could. Started going out again, PM everybody possible about questions that kept popping up in my head about fly tactics, gear, conditions, everything. So about 2 months ago started hitting the local waters hard, stressing stalking, stealth, and proper casting, presentation as much as possible for my level of skill. Well it looked as if 2007-2008 would be the same no fish and no trout on fly..... :cry: :cry: :cry: then in Nov 2008 one day out accidentally let my line drop as I was moving on to another stretch of water and bam a rainbow hooked itself on my woolly bugger. I know its not by intentional but I'll take it. in the next coming weeks I would learn more and more and the fish would come 3, 4, and then 5 in one day and then back to back days of 10 then a 30-40 fish day would let me know I have arrived. Around that time kept bugging my buddy Darrin about fishing questions. Later got a PM and he asked if I would meet up with him at the LKR with some of the Kern club members for tying and fishing. Around that time started getting into tying and again I didn't know what I was doing and the internet helped a bit but needed some direction. fast forward 3 weeks to now and man I have learned more in these last 3 weeks than I have in the last year about fly fishing. Met up with Darrin and showed me some water where I caught 4-5 biggest fish of my life, he showed me a proper nymphing tactic, we watched Jerry hopewell fly ty and it showed me how to properly ty a decent fly. Its just amazing how much you learn when you have a friend to help you along this addiction. I love it......... So sorry for the long post but it has been a long ride for me and up until recently it was very trying but well worth it, just got to give it up to my buddy Darrin, I have noticed throughout this thread in your posts there has been in most cases a friend or family member who has helped out alot in this passion we all have and man its a great thing to be out on the water with some confidence in your skills. I am just in awe of your stories and really want to thank you all for sharing. see you on the water
P.S
I will try and make it to most of the rivers you all grew up on with my 5Wt. before I stop ticking.... :D :D :D
ashtree1

Postby 1mocast » January 9th, 2009, 5:55 pm

Ashtree1,
Great Bio! It looks like you are addicted! Welcome.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Sasha » January 9th, 2009, 10:06 pm

ashtree1, welcome to this great site!
Sasha

Postby flybob » January 10th, 2009, 3:41 pm

Troutkind, Ashtree1, welcome to the family!

Ashtree1, that is one helluva bio, my hats off to you for surviving that childhood!
I know where you are coming from and it is very hard to break the mold!
Congratulations on your new friendships and addiction,
All good!

bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby beachbum » January 11th, 2009, 3:30 pm

Hi, my name is Bill, and I am a fly fishing addict.

As far back as I can remember my dad took me fishing. He was an Air Force full bird, and we lived all over the world. I guess that's how I got the travelling bug. Both my folks were from CA, so we considered it to be home. On one of our visits home, we were in Tuolome Meadows with my gramma, and to get rid of me, my dad told me to go fishing. I must have been about 10 years old, and I came back with a stringer of trout. It was then my folks knew I was hooked. Years later, after my dad, uncle and I had floated the Henry's Fork, and we had an amazing day in a brown drake hatch my dad said, "That's the first time I ever really enjoyed fishing!" I was confused, and asked why he took me fishing since I was 3 years old. His simple reply still warms my heart every time I think of it. He said, "Because you wanted to go."

When my dad retired from the Air Force we moved back to Westchester {by LAX), and I started salt water fishing. As a kid I loved to read, and after reading Hemmingway's Nick Adams stories, I decided to try a fly rod. I was hooked! After college I moved to Steamboat Springs, where I spent most of the 70's, at first working for the ski area in the winter, and the golf course in the summer. After work at the golf course, I would fish the creek that ran through the golf course, catching wild brook trout until I couldn't stand it anymore. There was a big group of us in Steamboat that fly fished, and a lots of us still fish together 30 some years later. Opening day at the Henry's Fork was like a religous holiday for us, and we still meet up there every year. In 1980 I brought the family back to Southern Cal because my wife had some issues with a pregnancy, and the health care for her was better here.

Since then I have fished the Sierras, and Rocky Mtns every chance I could. Raising a family didn't let me buy expensive equipment, and I became good at fishing cheap rods and reels. As a matter of fact it wasn't until just recently I could afford good gear. Raising three daughters, and sending them through college takes it's toll, but totally worth the sacrifices.

My first love is dry fly fishing, to rising fish. There is something about it that brings me back, time and time again. My best friend, Flowdog, who also lived in Steamboat, also is a dry fly fanatic, so we travel a lot in search of rising fish. Over the years I have chased steelhead and salmon, from coast to coast, and Atlantic Salmon fishing has become another of my passions.

Not the least of the rewards of fly fishing is the people you meet along the way. That's my story, and it was fun thinking back as I wrote it. Fly fishing has been such a big part of my life.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Eric » January 11th, 2009, 6:00 pm

beachbum wrote:Hi, my name is Bill, and I am a fly fishing addict.

Years later, after my dad, uncle and I had floated the Henry's Fork, and we had an amazing day in a brown drake hatch my dad said, "That's the first time I ever really enjoyed fishing!" I was confused, and asked why he took me fishing since I was 3 years old. His simple reply still warms my heart every time I think of it. He said, "Because you wanted to go."

Very nice thanks for bio
Eric
Eric

Postby super dry fly » January 15th, 2009, 3:33 pm

It is with excitement and a little trepidation that I dip my toe into the stream of this fly fishing community that you all have established here. By all accounts it appears to be a great place to learn, laugh, and share an addiction. A brief introduction seems appropriate.

I grew up in San Diego being introduced to fish at an early age by my father. About 15 years ago I picked up a fly rod for the first time and have never let go of the sport. I have spent most of my fly fishing history chasing the nuggets hidden in the Eastern Sierras and our local creeks, although more recent adventures have taken me on exploits across the West with trips to Idaho, Utah and Wyoming.

For the last 8 years I have lived in southern Orange County with my wife and two young sons soon to be 5 and 3 years of age. Few things bring a brighter smile to my face than hearing my sons talk of trout and flies and streams. To my boys every moving body of water has the potential to hold trout, which is fine by me, as it only drives their desire to explore.

My educational background is in marine biology with an emphasis on fish. I spent a number of years working as a part of an ocean resource enhancement program, although the most recent bends in my career path have taken me to a regulatory agency that works to protect our coastal resources.

Alright, there is my life in a three paragraph capsule – easy enough to swallow right? I look forward to the opportunity to contribute to this forum however I can. I should probably also present a disclaimer that this is the first online community I have joined, so I apologize in advance for the mistakes in etiquette that I am sure to make. But more than anything – it’s a pleasure to be here.

Gabe
"What you call a disease - I call a remedy. What you call the cause - I call the cure."

-the Bosstones
super dry fly

Postby Benny » January 15th, 2009, 3:40 pm

Very nice bio Gabe. Welcome to the forum 8-)
Benny

Postby midger » January 15th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Welcome Gabe. You'll find that proper internet etiquette really isn't much of an issue on this forum, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just join in the merriment and share what you can and when you can. Sounds like you'll soon have built in fishing buddies. ;)

Mike
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby stanbery » January 16th, 2009, 1:15 am

I should probably also present a disclaimer that this is the first online community I have joined, so I apologize in advance for the mistakes in etiquette that I am sure to make. But more than anything – it’s a pleasure to be here.

Gabe

No apologize is needed.
Welcome aboard.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby flybob » January 16th, 2009, 7:28 am

Welcome Neighbor!

Tis a great place she be!

Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby super dry fly » January 16th, 2009, 8:53 am

Thanks for all the welcome mats.
"What you call a disease - I call a remedy. What you call the cause - I call the cure."

-the Bosstones
super dry fly

Postby Riverphish » January 16th, 2009, 2:10 pm

Stumbled in from the Kern River Forum following friends... DOH! Here you are (too!) :lol:

I see a load of familiar names and avatars... looks like there'll be some lively discussions on this board as well.

HEY ALL! :D

Mike
Riverphish

Postby darrin terry » January 16th, 2009, 2:30 pm

Welcome Mike! Glad to see you here. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing