REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

Postby MattyD » January 28th, 2009, 6:40 pm

Well...Jon knows the answer. As far as catching fish I am not the one to ask. Nice to be on board here.
M
MattyD

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » January 28th, 2009, 10:35 pm

Cheap Stuff wrote:Well...Jon knows the answer. As far as catching fish I am not the one to ask. Nice to be on board here.
M

Let me re-phrase what you said Matt, "If I put my mind to it I can do it, especially when some youngster thinks he can!"

Liked your history.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby flybob » January 29th, 2009, 6:43 am

Welcome Matt, HA get it , Welcome Matt!

Great bio, you guys that got started early are blessed, embrace the passion and never let it go.
And above all, share along the way!

Hope to meet you on the water one day,
bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby fshflys » February 4th, 2009, 2:27 pm

Started fishing at an early age, my father loved fishing. Used to hop on my bike and ride to a lake in town fishing bluegills with pieces of bread rolled up. Moved to Pittsburgh when I was 11, dad started taking me to opening day a couple hrs drive north. Got my first fly rod for my 13th Bday but mostly used it for slinging salmon eggs. I did learn to control the line though. During high school, my dad would take me on fishing trips in Canada fishing walleye & Northern Pike, would fly fish in some of the streams also. Our family bought a cottage on the Allegheny River, we'd fish a small tributary in the spring for trout, float the river in the summer throwing poppers for bass.

Moved to SO CAL in '73 at age 20. When April came around that year I had the itch. Drove up to Bishop & camped @ Pleasant Valley, fished the Owens then Hot Creek. Still remember my first fish on Hot Creek, 15" bow on a white streamer. Can still picture my mother sitting on a big rock just upstream from the hot springs, book in her hands, peering over the top of her reading glasses looking at all the hippies skinny dipping. In the mid '70s started backpacking into the Eastern Sierra, then returned the pleasure of those Canada trips by taking my dad on a horse pack trip. ( Will admit, I let him pay, but I did the guiding & cooking)

Dad learned to tie in '73, I think I finally took a class in '75 at Dale's Hackle & Tackle, for all you youngins, this was the shop that Bob Mariotts took over. I now have a job where I work from home, monitoring computers, I can usually sneak a tie or two while working. I also have Thurs & Fri as my days off, that kinda sucks for finding someone to go fishing with but I find myself going more often as there aren't many social events those days. During winter I go to Eastern Sierra about every 3 weeks, last summer gas prices kept me away. My last trip had an epic day on Hot Creek, hooked 30 - 35 fish in a 3 hour span, can't wait to go again.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby Benny » February 4th, 2009, 3:39 pm

Good stuff guys. Really enjoy reading about everyone 8-)
Benny

Postby rkfiske » February 4th, 2009, 8:45 pm

Heya folks,
It was suggested to me that I come here and tell you all a bit about my fishing background. I've been fishing since I was pretty young, in fact I remember when I was very young a very traumatic moment at santa fe dam. I had managed to hook myself on a little treble hook and refused to let my father help me. An older gentleman that I had been fishing with came over to inspect it. "Let me see..." and ripped out the hook before I knew what happened. It hurt like * but a whole lot less than it probably would have trying to pry it out. All I can say is that barbless hooks are not just better for fish :lol: I've only started taking up fly fishing very recently in the last couple years, but as most of us probably have, I've taken it up with reckless abandon. I became fascinated with every facet of the hobby, from the actual practice of fishing to the adventure of discovery and hiking and most recently, fly tying. I live in Arcadia, and unfortunately don't have as much time as I had before to fish, but maybe once I get a bit more settled I'll pick up a few more of those wonderful midweek fishing days. In fact, I snuck up to the WFSG this afternoon for a couple hours :) I hope to maybe meet some of you guys very soon!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby midger » February 4th, 2009, 9:46 pm

Welcome all!
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby flybob » February 5th, 2009, 7:57 am

Welcome newcomers!

fshflys, great bit of history there! Wow, shopping at BM's before it was BM's!

rkfiske, I too am new to flyfishing, unfortunately, I did not discover it until I was 50! Cherish the moments!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Broken Tippet » February 7th, 2009, 8:56 am

New guy, chucked bait and lures from spinning rods for 28 of my 29 years. Got a fly outfit as a gift last year and did a trip with David on the Kern last year. Several useless gadgets and a vise later and I think I'm hooked. Still learning and I appreciate everything you guys share it really helps :D . My only regret is that I didn't pick up a fly rod sooner!

Damien
Broken Tippet

Postby 1mocast » February 7th, 2009, 5:35 pm

Damien,
Welcome, You have got many years ahead of you for fly fishing...If you have any questions, don't hesitate to throw it up to the board. Usually you will get an answer...as long as it is asking where our private "Idaho's", of course... ;)

mark
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby apache trout » February 11th, 2009, 7:57 pm

Hi all,
Found this forum a couple of weeks ago and thought it was time to join. Want to complement you all on a great site. My name is Zach, I'm 33 and have been fishing for as long as I can remember. I first was given a fly pole on my 10th or 11th birthday and I flailed about with it for a couple of years but couldn't seem to make it click. Around my 15th birthday my mom bought me a nicer setup from llbean and thats when I finnally started catching trout. I was hooked. For the next couple of years I still spin fished as well. Since about 20 the only conventional tackle I have used has been on summer/fall trips chasing tuna out of san diego.

I grew up in San Bernardino, Ca and lived there till about 13 years ago, my parents still live there and were victims of the Old fire, funny thing is they moved farther up the canyon after there house burned, I think there gluttens for punishment. As soon as I could drive,and well before my parents, used to drop us off (my friends and I), to explore the foothills/mtns. around the san bernardino area. Fished Lost lake back when the only people out there were the hells angels and a random skinny dipper. Caught huge bluegill and bass out of it, havent heard if anyone still fishes it. Fished all the southern slope creeks in the S.B. Mtns won't go into naming them. Also spend and have spent at least 2 weeks a year in the sierra's with my family. Started with my parents as a kid, and now my kids are put on forced march up some trails each summer.

Now living in beautiful Tempe Az, have plenty of mtn. streams within a couple of hours and some great urban bass fishing right down the street. If anyone ever has any questions about a Az stream or lake hit me up and I'll send you in the right direction.

Zach
apache trout

Postby midger » February 11th, 2009, 8:23 pm

Zach, Damien, and rkfiske

Welcome all! Nice to get new blood into the fray. Lots of nice folks around these parts and you can learn a lot.

Zach, do you ever get up to the Lee's Ferry area? Also check the trip report area, there are some that would probably interest you judging from your location. I live in the fire area. You get used to being evacuated every year or so. :roll:

Damien,
Any time is a good time to start, and you still have lots of years to perfect your flyfishing. Go for it.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby apache trout » February 11th, 2009, 8:42 pm

Midger,
I have fished the the Ferry twice once at the walk in and once up river hoping to hit it this summer during the Cicada hatch! Spend more time up in the White Mtns. fishing the the reservation or closer on Canyon and Oak creek.
Zach
apache trout

Postby Benny » February 11th, 2009, 8:44 pm

Great to hear from all the new guys. Welcome to the forum 8-)
Benny

Postby Sasha » February 11th, 2009, 10:01 pm

It's good to see all the recent additions :!:

Welcome to the site :D
Sasha

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing