REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

Postby 1mocast » August 15th, 2011, 10:50 pm

Travis,
Welcome!

Here are a couple of sites that will perk your interest.

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/

http://garybulla.com/

If you have any questions, post it and you will get some great answers...
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby flybob » August 16th, 2011, 6:50 am

Welcome Travis!

And Congratulations on getting into Harvey Mudd!

Yeah College will pretty much suck up most of your free time.....but the payoff will be great!
You will eventually be able to afford one of those expensive ultralights that are bantered about on this board! :lol:

bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Hatch71 » August 16th, 2011, 7:35 am

Travis... Welcome to the board.... Bunch of great folks on this board. Everyone wants to help not a place where people post a bunch of trash talk. We have some many experts that are full of info... Welcome Chris
Hatch71

Postby joh » August 19th, 2011, 2:17 pm

Hi all,

New member here. Relocated back to my hometown of San Francisco after living in Vancouver (eh?) for a couple of years. Too busy to fish my favorite Sierra streams last year, so I'm trying to make up for it this year. Having difficulty with this due to a barrier (aka other half).

So I've been fishing since I was a kid. Dad used to take me up to various Sierra waters, where we fished various types of gear. On lakes, it was always spinning gear. On streams, which I always preferred, we fished with these really long Japanese telescoping rods that were like 12 to 15 ft in length. These rods didn't have any guides or a reel. Basically just tied a leader onto the tip of it with a hook on the end. Line was weighted with shot, and we collected caddis and stoneflies as bait, and basically dead-drifted the live nymphs through pocket water. If we couldn't find bugs in the water, we'd use salmon eggs. The technique was really no different than high-sticking with nymphs. Quite deadly as well, when the fish were on.

So naturally, I progressed into fly fishing in my early adulthood. And while I'm guilty of fishing with hardware on rare ocassions, 98% of my fishing is fly fishing.
joh

Postby Dry Fly Rie » August 19th, 2011, 2:51 pm

joh wrote:These rods didn't have any guides or a reel. Basically just tied a leader onto the tip of it with a hook on the end.

Nice! That's exactly how I got started on the Sierra streams (except it was a 10 foot cane pole). I'd dig around in the stream bed or in the bushes and look for anything alive that I could put on the hook. One time I found a bunch of plump tomato worms in a bad batch of tomatoes that my parents brought up from home. Those things were automatic for the browns.

Welcome to the site, and good luck catching up on your fishing time in the Sierras.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby stanbery » August 21st, 2011, 8:48 pm

DrCreek wrote:
joh wrote:...Too busy to fish my favorite Sierra streams last year, so I'm trying to make up for it this year. Having difficulty with this due to a barrier (aka other half).

The Problem: Lack of fishing.
The Fix: Ditch the "barrier."

Welcome.
Mike

That is funny but keep the barrier.

Nice intro as well.

Welcome aboard.

jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby JGFLYFISH » August 28th, 2011, 10:07 am

I picked up my first fly rod around 3 years ago, when I bumped into a few guys from Sierra Pacific Fly Fishers at the Pasadena(CA) Fly Show, and I have been consumed by the sport ever since.

I picked up my first camera after learning how to fly fish, and I have been busy documenting my club’s outings and my own adventures ever since.

Great forum and members, hoping to share information and the water with some of you guys in the future.

Joe

http://jgflyfish2.zenfolio.com/
JGFLYFISH

Postby WanderingBlues » August 28th, 2011, 10:16 am

Welcome aboard Joe!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby L. Ben Doe » August 28th, 2011, 5:41 pm

Joe,

Your images are amazing! We'll be looking forward to more as you capture them...

-LBD
L. Ben Doe

Postby Papasequoia » August 28th, 2011, 6:35 pm

Welcome, Joe. A quick look at your pics shows that many replies to your posts will probably include the word "wow" quite often. :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby JGFLYFISH » August 28th, 2011, 7:24 pm

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I am still trying to perfect my craft, both fly fishing and fly fishing photography. I am eager to learn from the many members of this forum, and at the same time, share my own experiences with you.

Thanks again,

Joe
JGFLYFISH

Postby WanderingBlues » August 28th, 2011, 7:39 pm

After taking other's cues, I looked at your website. I believe a "WOW" is in order.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Dry Fly Rie » August 28th, 2011, 8:02 pm

I'll jump on board with everyone else about your pictures. Truly impressive.

Welcome.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby Baughb » August 29th, 2011, 8:13 am

This is a great thread and I’ve been on here for a while and hadn’t come across it yet. Thanks for starting it.

I grew in the suburbs of So Cal (South Gate and Lynwood) and my first memory of fishing is on a little bluegill pond in Illinois near to my Great Aunts’ house where we would spend some summers. Cane poles with worms was all it took to keep me out of their hair for hours upon hours.

After joining Boy Scouts around 12, we went to the Eastern Sierra and the Big Bear/Arrowhead area to a variety of scout camps and since fishing was a merit badge, I took advantage of every opportunity to fish. Spin fishing became the order of the day and I enjoyed it immensely so much so that my very first run in with the law was after pocketing a lure at the local Thrifty’s near my house when I was 10 (Cub Scouts). The serious whoopin that I got didn’t deter me from practicing casting to Folger’s cans in the yard to get my aim down and yes, all my gear has been properly paid for, thank you very much.

Fast forward to adult life (1992 and 31) and just before “A River Runs Through It”, my former wife and I were doing a lot of car camping and fishing for fun. I had already started catch and release but was still “spinning” when we watched a fly fisher casting along a river. Poetry in motion I thought so I bought a book, two actually, “How To Fool Fish With Feathers” and some “Trout Bum” book by a guy in Colorado. Doomed to learning this, I bought a starter kit, took some casting lessons from a great guy at the then Fisherman’s Spot and hit the local streams. Right now I can still remember the planter on Frenchman’s Flat rise and sip my royal coachman.

Now I still get to fish pretty often in our state, tie most of my own flies, have more than enough gear, have shared the sport with many people and hosted a lot of newbies on some of my favorite waters, traveled to the popular and unpopular waters of the Western states, caught huge fish and tiny ones and really appreciate the fish and the areas in which they live. I think more clearly now when I’m out on the water and it is one of the places where I can be still and know my God. All of this good stuff in my life just from fish wiggling on the end of my line. Pretty good medicine.

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby beachbum » August 29th, 2011, 9:28 am

Welcome to the board, Joe and Bob!
Set the hook!
beachbum

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing