REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

Postby beachbum » August 17th, 2009, 7:41 am

Great Bios, Ryan, Stevie, and Shequilla (love the name..lol)!
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby flybob » August 24th, 2009, 6:29 am

Hey Shequila, FFFF, Ryan
Welcome to the fray, lots of fun, and great bunch of people here!
Looking forward to seeing some posts from youz with lots of photos!

Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Sasha » August 24th, 2009, 8:28 am

To the new members.......Welcome to this great site :rockon:
Sasha

Postby WanderingBlues » December 6th, 2009, 9:52 am

I have been fishing for as long as I can remember. My grandparents have a farm with several lakes and I cut my teeth on bluegill and catfish on a cane pole with a bobber and some hot dog for bait. I moved up to the big time with my first 'real' set-up, a Zebco, at the age of 6 and started raiding my uncle's tackle box for his rapalas, jitterbugs, and other bass lures. Caught my first bass soon thereafter.

Having lived in quite a few places, some fishing highlights include trout in Scotland, bluefish and striper in Maryland, tarpon in the Gulf of Mexico, monster cat's in the Mississippi River, and pike in Pennsylvania. I've been in California for 25 years now and have enjoyed fishing the Sierra's on ultra-lite spin gear with lures I make myself. I also love off-shore fishing for yellowfin, bluefin, dorado, and the like. The finest trips are the one's I take with my son (who's 14 now). Through fishing, I've watched him learn responsibility towards the environment, and accountability for his success on the water through preparation and care of his equipment.

And, now, I'm learning flyfishing. The appeal is the totality of the sport; the study of the food supply, the search for the right water, the presentation of the fly, the honest battle of a fish on an appropriate set-up, and honoring the fish through C&R. Yeah, it sounds corny, but the older I get, the more I appreciate the greater experience. I'm looking forward to my first fly set-up this xmas. My father-in-law is getting me a nice TFO 5wt to get going and I'm already looking at 3wt's for the local stuff.

So, there you have it.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby darrin terry » December 6th, 2009, 10:40 am

Nice intro. Welcome. If you enjoy making your own lures, then fly tying just might be your thing. Perhaps rod building too. I gotta say that catching fish on flies you tied and tossed with a rod you built is pretty sweet. Talk about totality. Now, start making your own reels, lines and leader/tippet and you would have the entire picture in hand. :lol:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby flybob » December 8th, 2009, 8:35 pm

Hey Curtis, welcome aboard!

Great bio, I think for the most part, unless you were lucky enough to have someone teach you the way of the fly at a very early age, we all came down, or should I say up, the same path.

But don't give up on those gills just yet, wait until you experience a hubcap on a lightweight fly rod.....

There are a lot of great people on this site, looking forward to seeing some of your posts,
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby WanderingBlues » December 11th, 2009, 9:19 am

flybob wrote:Hey Curtis, welcome aboard!

Great bio, I think for the most part, unless you were lucky enough to have someone teach you the way of the fly at a very early age, we all came down, or should I say up, the same path.

But don't give up on those gills just yet, wait until you experience a hubcap on a lightweight fly rod.....

There are a lot of great people on this site, looking forward to seeing some of your posts,
Bob

Beautiful bluegill! Pound for pound, there's nothing like a bluegill, especially when they hit topwater.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby fly_baby » January 16th, 2010, 11:23 am

Hi everyone. I've been lurking for a month so I think it's time to introduce myself. I was born and raised in the heart of Los Angeles (Hancock Park) so you might say I'm a real city girl. Unlike most of you my family was not the outdoors type so I never went camping until I was in high school (many years ago). My family's idea of a great vacation was going to Hawaii and swimming in the waters of Waikiki but no fishing. Fishing never entered my mind because no one I knew ever mentioned fishing it. Even when I was in college no one ever mentioned it...skiing yes, camping yes but fishing no. :o

About a year and half ago I saw someone fly fishing in the Sierras and it looked interesting, a lot more than the bait fishing my friends were doing. So I went to Orvis and bought my first rod and reel - 9' 5wt mid-flex TLS rod with a Battenkill Large Arbor reel I took a few casting classes, bought some flies and headed to Rock Creek. I was able to catch two 'bows and four browns - all wild - in a few hours. I think it was beginner's luck but I was "hooked." I have a float tube and fished in Grant Lake, Lake Sabrina, Intake II on Bishop Creek and a few other creeks. Tried Big Bear Lake but didn't like it. I love the Sierra Nevadas! :bananadance:

I happened to meet fflutterffly at a local fly shop and she told me about this forum. Boy am I grateful - I've been looking for a community just like FFA. How lucky am I? Thank you Ariel! She convinced me that Carp are worthy fish and has promised to take me to the L.A. River - but not to the honey hole.

I now have a 2wt, 3wt, 5wt and 7wt rods all with Orvis reels BBSs and BLAs. After reading this forum, I realize that while Orvis reels may be good, there are many others to choose from and hope to learn more from everyone. I don't have tons of money so I can't afford the very best but I won't buy cheap gear just to save a buck. I am saving up for a 4wt rod and am looking forward to the Pasadena show. I'm also into ultra light gear and want to hike/backpack into the Golden Trout Wilderness and fish some of those pristine brooks.

My biggest challenge is finding people to go fishing with. None of my friends have any interest in fly fishing - they haven't seen the light yet. I'm hoping I'll meet everyone eventually and make some fishing buddies. This forum is great and I've learned a lot already. :)

Ava
fly_baby
fly_baby

Postby Sasha » January 16th, 2010, 11:27 am

Welcome to all the new members :grouphug:
Sasha

Postby Papasequoia » January 16th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Welcome, Ava! Take Ariel up on her offer, you will have a good teacher there. However, there are two problems with this forum: it turns people into fanatics about carp and ultra-lightweight rods. Resist the temptation!! Image :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Benny » January 16th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Welcome to the forum Ava. I'm quite sure you'll find some good people to share the water with. Have fun on the forum and ask any questions you might have, the people on here are a world of knowledge.
Benny

Postby fly_baby » January 16th, 2010, 2:50 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys, I can feel the love! :rockon:
Carpe Diem does not mean 'fish of the day'
fly_baby

Postby darrin terry » January 16th, 2010, 3:13 pm

Welcome, Ava! Lots fly fishers down in your area. I'm quite certain Ariel will steer you right, too. Looking forward to your posts. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby 1mocast » January 16th, 2010, 6:11 pm

fb,
I think you are hooked... ;)
Welcome aboard!
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby midger » January 16th, 2010, 6:20 pm

Welcome! For somebody just starting you sure have a lot of fishin' poles. :lol:

Enjoy this place. Lots of great folks willing to help on this site.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing