REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Wasn't Sure Where To Post This So....................

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Wasn't Sure Where To Post This So....................

Postby strohble » October 20th, 2008, 4:49 pm

Fished the Middle Rogue around Galice last week and absolutely crushed em' on a hot tip from a local guide who is a friend of sorts. Dropped a #14 chartreuse copper john about 18" off the end of a #4 ugly bug about 7' in depth and it was off to the races. Hooked 7 or 8 for the day and brought 5 to hand, largest was easily 7 lbs and the others were all average--4 to 5 lbs. Never had a day like this in this river yet so I think I need to keep in touch with more of the seasoned locals. Sorry no pics yet, my camera took a swim without my permission and I'm debating whether to buy a new one or drop blatant hints for Christmas.
My local waters on the upper are fishing decent and I just landed a winter job with ODOT so I'll be staying up here permanently now which also means I can partake in the winter run. Wasn't really a hard decision either, fish everyday for steelhead and live rent and utility free or move back to Fresno, hmmmm.......................... :? So as of this morning I'm officially an Oregonian.
I'll be planning a 2 or 3 day trip to Gold Beach soon after the first of the year to fish for fresh winter chromers so if anyone has some spare time and wants to join in the fun you're more then welcome. I'll post something up on the boards when it's getting close and hopefully some of you can make it up here. Anyway, life is good and I'll update when it's noteworthy--Eric
There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. –Steven Wright

Read more: http://www.gofishn.com/gofishn/7005-gre ... z2I9yew2Iw
Follow us: GoFISHn on Facebook
strohble

Re: Wasn't Sure Where To Post This So....................

Postby RichardCullip » October 20th, 2008, 5:25 pm

Sweet! I can see an Oregon section being added to this fine message board pretty darn soon. You probably didn't have to think long and hard on that decision to stay in Oregon or move back to Fresno. What a sweet deal you've got going up there.

Keep those reports coming and get a new camera quick. Pentax Optio WP is a great one for pictures while fishing. Mine has taken four baths in the last year and it's survived each one with no problems. I've just had to reach down and retrieve it from the bottom of the river (Kern twice and Pacific Creek in Jackson Hole twice). Luckily I haven't dropped in real deep water. I now try to remember to tether it to me to make retrieval easier.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby strohble » October 20th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Thanks for the tip on the camera, I've been looking into water proof or seriously water resistant but just haven't found a decent price yet, I'll definitely check out the Pentax.--Eric
There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. –Steven Wright

strohble

Postby midger » October 20th, 2008, 5:46 pm

Nice report. Steelhead are a lot of fun and strong fish.

Congrats also on becoming an Oregonian. I guarantee the fishing will be better. ;)

Get an Optio W30 or W60 or an Olympus waterproof camera. I've used Optios for a number of years and their ability to hold up under water conditions are great. They also work well underwater for those shots that you might want to get. You won't have to worry about getting the camera wet anymore.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Sheriff Joe » October 20th, 2008, 7:42 pm

Sick! I'm coming up in feb for the winter run. Last year got skunked on the North Umpqua, then went to the Deschutes near Maupin and killed it on some nice redbands. Steelhead=frustrating. I guess it pays to live there so you can be there wen it turns on! Good for you!
Slap a cold trout on it!
Sheriff Joe

Postby 1mocast » October 20th, 2008, 7:48 pm

Hmm....Steelies and free rent vs. crowded Cali....GOOD Choice!

We want pictures of those steelies for the drool factor! ;)
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Sasha » October 20th, 2008, 8:30 pm

Sweet report sound like it was an awesome trip :!: I have not done any steelhead fishing this season yet, but I was thinking I need to go soon.

Well now that you are an official GOON we need to have a GOON forum here :lol:
Sasha

Postby strohble » October 22nd, 2008, 2:15 pm

Sweet!!!! Goon Federation!!!!!!!!!!! I'm checking out cameras so I'll hopefully put up some chrome shots soon, no promises though, I spend waaaaaaay more time fishing then catching. I hope that I'll have more days like the one last weekend, I've had em' on the Trinity and American Rivers, but it's all a crapshoot and being in the right places at the right times. Anyway, I'll keep updates comin'--Eric

strohble

Return to General Fly Fishing