REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Beginner seeking help

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Beginner seeking help

Postby zinomori » January 24th, 2011, 4:56 am

Can anyone tell me how to go about selecting the right rod, reel, tackle box and tackle? I love fishing when I was a kid, but have not done it for a long time. Now interested in buying some fishing stuff so that I can go fishing when I want. I don't know much about fishing stuff so need your help. Can anyone point me in the right direction and shed some lights on fishing stuff?

Thanks for your help.
zinomori

Re: Beginner seeking help

Postby fly addict » January 24th, 2011, 8:53 am

Zinomori,

Welcome to the forum. I suggest you find a good fly shop near you. Talk to one of the salesman about the equipment you will need, rod, reel, fly line, vest, waders and all the other stuff to start fishing. There is a list of fly-fishing clubs on this site. Find any that are in your home town or close to where you live and go check them out. Most clubs have good to great programs for new fly fisherman. If you live anywhere near Long Beach, the LBCC is one of the best.
This is not an easy sport to figure out on your own. Luckily for newbies there is a lot of personal help out there. Stay on this site and get to know the other members. There is a lot of knowledge here and most of it is free, well it might cost you a few beers or meals. Good luck!

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby fishhunterphil » January 24th, 2011, 7:50 pm

dealrocker.com eh?
fishhunterphil

Postby thtsarumr » January 24th, 2011, 8:51 pm

fly addict wrote:Zinomori,

Welcome to the forum. I suggest you find a good fly shop near you. Talk to one of the salesman about the equipment you will need, rod, reel, fly line, vest, waders and all the other stuff to start fishing. There is a list of fly-fishing clubs on this site. Find any that are in your home town or close to where you live and go check them out. Most clubs have good to great programs for new fly fisherman. If you live anywhere near Long Beach, the LBCC is one of the best.
This is not an easy sport to figure out on your own. Luckily for newbies there is a lot of personal help out there. Stay on this site and get to know the other members. There is a lot of knowledge here and most of it is free, well it might cost you a few beers or meals. Good luck!

Mark

OR FLIES!!!!!!! :rockon:

Blu
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby Fishfreak911 » January 26th, 2011, 9:04 am

FYI-The Orange County Fly Fishing Club has a beginners outing at the San Gabriel River this Saturday. You must sign up beforehand (see their website), but they will furnish all gear. This would accomplish many things for you. You can ask others about gear and techniques, test out gear, learn some local waters and catch some fish!

I also say visit your local fly shop. Most peeps working there are very orthcoming w/info.

Welcome to the boards buddy.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby Wildman » January 26th, 2011, 9:26 am

zinomori wrote:Can anyone tell me how to go about selecting the right rod, reel, tackle box and tackle? I love fishing when I was a kid, but have not done it for a long time. Now interested in buying some fishing stuff so that I can go fishing when I want. I don't know much about fishing stuff so need your help. Can anyone point me in the right direction and shed some lights on fishing stuff?

Thanks for your help.

Interesting that a person by the same name recently posted on another local fly fishing site at 3AM on the same day and wanted a recipe to tie some pretty fancy ties using mylar bodies. In the other post the poster sounded fairly knowledgeable about tying. Wonder what's up with that? Could it be he's just trolling for folks to go to his website?
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby fly addict » January 26th, 2011, 3:00 pm

Wildman wrote:
zinomori wrote:Can anyone tell me how to go about selecting the right rod, reel, tackle box and tackle? I love fishing when I was a kid, but have not done it for a long time. Now interested in buying some fishing stuff so that I can go fishing when I want. I don't know much about fishing stuff so need your help. Can anyone point me in the right direction and shed some lights on fishing stuff?

Thanks for your help.

Interesting that a person by the same name recently posted on another local fly fishing site at 3AM on the same day and wanted a recipe to tie some pretty fancy ties using mylar bodies. In the other post the poster sounded fairly knowledgeable about tying. Wonder what's up with that? Could it be he's just trolling for folks to go to his website?

Jim,

I wondered why he did not respond! Greg, (fishfreak911) do you know this guy?

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Lee-B » January 26th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Hmmmmmmmm, posting after the bars close always gets you into trouble.
Lee-B

Postby unskunkable » January 26th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Can I point and laugh now?

Lee- only if the beers falling from the ceiling again? lmao!
unskunkable

Postby Flyjunkie » January 26th, 2011, 9:29 pm

"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby mtnguru » January 26th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Nice Oust! :rockon:
mtnguru

Return to General Fly Fishing