REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

What's on your bucket list....

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

What's on your bucket list....

Postby Benny » January 21st, 2011, 11:32 am

as far as places to fly-fish and fish to be caught?

Places I want to fly fish:
Alaska~ enough said
Baja~ Rooster fish and the many other big game fish
Belize~ Bonefish, tarpon and permit
KAMCHATKA Russia! Pipe dream, that most likely will never happen :(
Idaho~
Colorado~
Montana~
Oregon~
Washington~
British Columbia~ steelhead
South America~ Golden Dorado, Peacock Bass, Sea-run Browns
Upstate NY~ Big Browns
Montauk NY~ Stripers & Blues
New Zealand~ Big Bows & Browns
Mongolia~ Taimen
Northern California~ Browns & bows
And a multi-day float trip through a beautiful canyon somewhere in the United States :roll:

I guess there are many more places I could dream of fishing and many more fish I could catch... Perhaps I could someday fish just a few of these places listed above.

What's on your Bucket List?
Benny

Re: What's on your bucket list....

Postby beachbum » January 21st, 2011, 12:54 pm

Tough call, but here are some on the current list.

1.) Gaula River, Norway - giant Atlantic Salmon

2.) River Itchen, UK - one of the best spring creeks/chalk streams in the world.

3.) Patagonia - giant browns, and no people

4.) Dean River, BC- big steelhead
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby NorcalBob » January 21st, 2011, 2:22 pm

1) giant sea run browns in TDF
2) kamchatka
3) seychelles
4) Super deluxe lodge for BC steel or maybe russia for atlantics
NorcalBob

Postby lucfish » January 21st, 2011, 3:13 pm

I'm pretty satisfied about most of the places I've been fortunate enough to fish and don't have any overwhelming desires to fish a bunch of exotic places, save a couple some Atlantic Salmon on the Gaspe and hitting it right for rainbow trout fishing in New Zealand, dries of course.
lucfish

Postby theophilus » January 21st, 2011, 4:30 pm

All the destinations mentioned sound great and who knows? maybe the future will see me bent to a roosterfish with sand between my toes or sight fishing to wide shouldered browns in New Zealand, but this is what's in my bucket-

Anyplace with cold and swift water,a bamboo rod, a #16 Royal Wulff and no worries. A wild trout or two would be a bonus.
"Everything flows" - Heraclitus
theophilus

Postby Bernard » January 21st, 2011, 5:12 pm

My fascination lies in native fish in their native land. What footage I have seen of browns in Iceland seems cool. The terrain and the country seem so different and strange. I also like the idea of trout in Balkan regions like native subspecies of browns in Greece. I can visit family, eat amazing food, catch a brown and add to my vacation some island hopping. Finally, I just love this silly state. I'd like to run a few canyons and check out some inlets. Just look at a west slope map and find the ugliest and most remote and I've probably thought about it ;) Fun topic.
:)
B

p.s. ONE just ONE dorado on a fly would be nice.
Bernard

Postby Flyjunkie » January 21st, 2011, 6:12 pm

Well these come to mind, right now...:

Papa New Guinea = Dogtooth Tuna

Ungava Peninsula = Giant Arctic Char

Panama = Sailfish and various species of Marlin

Mongolia = Taimen & Lennox

the Amazon = Peacock bass & golden Dorado

and Like Bernard : Native populations of Trout, Char and their relative species in their Native waters inspire me and have for a number of years.. It would be fun to go to Europe and Western Asia and try for the various subspecies of brown Trout.. and the rare Soft Mouth Trout. Besides get all the remaining subspecies of Cutthroat and Redband Trout here in the Western States...

There are certainly Other destinations and fish species that interest me a great deal, but this list is a "Gotta Do".. :rockon:
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » January 22nd, 2011, 6:14 pm

1. New Zealand (hopefully this time next year I'll be there)

2. Alaska for salmon, rainbows and dolly varden.

3. High Sierras for big goldens

4. Patagonia

5. Upstate New York thanks to Graham's reports ;)

6. Utah's Boulder Mountain

7. Slovenia in and around the Julian Alps, was supposed to do this last year but run off was not permitting us to do so :(

8. Pyramid Lake, Nevada

10. Salt Flats for tarpon, I'm guessing somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico, this is the only one that may never happen, but I do love this part of the world and plan to visit it again so it till may very well happen someday.

I think these are all reasonable and will be achieved in my lifetime no problem. I've decided to take off Labrador from this since I've caught all the large brookies I'll ever desire to, and I know of lots more areas in CA and UT that will satisfy me if I get bored at my usual stomping grounds. Give me sometime away from the band and I could easily knock out about 4 of these in one year.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby ptflashback » January 22nd, 2011, 10:52 pm

Oh man, I spend quite a bit of time daydreaming about this very topic. Currently I pass the office days with pipe dreams of the following:

1) Patagonia.
2) San Juan
3) Logan River, Utah
4) Frying Pan, CO

I keep a picture of Logan above my desk to keep the retirement goal in sight. Just something alluring about the possibility of driving five miles to big browns and cutthroats. For anyone who hasn't been, I would recommend Eleven Mile Canyon near Dillon, CO. Unbelievable water with big, big bows to boot.
ptflashback

Postby borntoflyfish » January 23rd, 2011, 8:54 am

This is a good question. For me it's not so mush as traveling to distant lands and exotic waters to fish for some of the same species that I've become so fond of in my home waters. A few years back I got the chance to fish Alaska for silver salmon. This is the one thing I'd recommend to any body that fly fishes. The land and the sites are just unbelievable. And having a 15pound + sliver take off after you set the hook is something you'll always remember.
Alot for me is learning different techniques When it comes to fishing and fly tying. But when it comes to fish. This is at the top of the list.

Catching the monster Brown on the Provo that has eluded me for so long.
Willard bay. For 7-10 pound wipers
Huntington reservoir and Pineview reservoir for giant musky
The berry as the Ice comes off trying for some of them large Bonneville cutthroats
Fishing with friends and people on the Fly Addicts fourm.
Building a wood drift boat and building my own fly rods.
I could keep going on but them are some of the things on my to do bucket list. :D
borntoflyfish

Postby 209er » January 23rd, 2011, 7:32 pm

I'm a cheap high be it ganja or alcohol. Same with fishing. I've been all over Baja and the mainland and nothing beats a stupid school of dorado! :bananadance: Tuna doesn't interest me especially if they're over 30lbs, too much work. Marlin forget it. Same. I've got one sail maybe 80lbs which took maybe 20 minutes in Mazatlan then next fish ripped the 12wt out of my hands! :oops: That's interesting for Guatamala and Costa Rico sails, one day maybe. For trout, send me to the Mo for downstream casts with spent caddi. Nothing better. 209er
209er

Postby duckdog » January 26th, 2011, 10:27 am

Just a note to anyone planing a trip to N.Y for stripers, make time to fish the Connetquot river in the state park in Oakdale on long island. It used to be a private club before it was a state park. I have not fished it in a while but it is the kind of small stream that requires a spool of 3x.
mike.
p.s. - you need to plan ahead and reserve a time slot.
duckdog

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » January 26th, 2011, 12:24 pm

DrCreek wrote:
Pull streamers in Patagonia running waters....

This sounds too sacreligous for you Doc :funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup:
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby Flyjunkie » January 26th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Rockstar Fisherman wrote:
This sounds too sacreligous for you Doc :funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup:

ain't That.. Doc is a Realist in that Big Trout don't get big eating little tidbits, they get big eating Steak & potatoes....

same way a 18 foot, 2000 lb. Great White doesn't get that big eating anchovies..... ;)

Streamers Always equal the Biggest Trout of Your Life...... :rockon:
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby fancyboy » January 26th, 2011, 2:26 pm

I'm with Bernard on this one. I think some of the best waters are right under your nose. I've been visiting my family's cabin in western Montana for 30 years and still have only fished a fraction of all the streams rivers and lakes. Just staring at the forest service quad map makes me drool and realize I could devote a lifetime to waters within a 30 mile radius of the cabin.
"In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing."
fancyboy

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing