REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fly Fishing Club

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fly Fishing Club

Postby Benny » October 9th, 2008, 3:35 pm

I was browsing a whole bunch of fly fishing club site here in SoCal. Boy, there so many fly fishing clubs around the LA area. For the most part all seem fairly the same all except for one in particular, The Long Beach Casting Club...I will say that this club is the best fly fishing club I found online. The club is very active...They were founded in 1925 which carries years and years of history. The club has 515 members possibly 516 since I may be joining. The Long Beach Casting Club sets the standard of what fly fishing clubs should be. If your from the LA area this a a must join club. Plenty of weekly activities including a casting pond that's lighted, fly tying classes and rod building classes too. This is not once a month this is on a weekly basis. I know lots of you are from the SoCal and participate in other local clubs, but this is by far the best IMO.

CLICK HERE!
Benny

Re: Fly Fishing Club

Postby fflutterffly » October 9th, 2008, 7:55 pm

This club has a very interesting history indeed. Not only do they have many classes, but outings. This coming October 17, 18, 19 LLCC will be on the Kern w/ around 20 members. We'll be meeting at the fly shop in Kernville at around 9:00 AM on Saturday if you'd like to come by and meet.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby Benny » October 9th, 2008, 8:13 pm

Wish I could Ariel, but I have a stiff knee brace I have to wear for the next 6-8 weeks and can't really walk to far without the help of the trusty crutches. Thanks for the invite though ;)
Benny

Postby RSetina » October 9th, 2008, 8:52 pm

Benny, can you post the link you found? Don't know if I'd join unless they had meetings on the weekends, but I'd be interested in looking at the site and see what it's all about. By the way, if anyone needs any surfing done on the internet, submit it to Benny. He's at home bored out of his mind with a bum knee. ;) :D
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby Benny » October 9th, 2008, 8:58 pm

Here you go Rick...CLICK HERE!
Benny

Postby darrin terry » October 9th, 2008, 9:46 pm

No, click right on this spot. NO NO NO. Not that one, this one, right here ––––––><------ :D :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby fly addict » October 10th, 2008, 8:38 pm

There are very few members of the LBCC that can't cast. Some of those guys would say I am one of them, and I tied for 3rd place at the SSFF Rendezvous casting game. If you want to improve your casting it is the club to belong to. There are at least 5 members that I know of who are FFF Certified Master Casting instructors, and maybe 25 that are FFF Certified casting instructors. Their beginning casting course of 6 weeks for $10 is the best deal going. Student to instructor ratio is 1 to 5. There is a pond that is always open to practice casting on.

They also have some beginner fishing trips that can save you a lot frustration and time trying to figure out how to catch fish on a fly. This is a great club with a lot of members doing a lot of good things for the community. Such as project healing waters for disabled Vets.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Benny » October 10th, 2008, 8:59 pm

fly addict wrote:There are at least 5 members that I know of who are FFF Certified Master Casting instructors, and maybe 25 that are FFF Certified casting instructors. Their beginning casting course of 6 weeks for $10 is the best deal going. Student to instructor ratio is 1 to 5.

Fly addict, Did you take the casting course? Ten bucks for six weeks is a awesome deal. And everyone that has fished with me knows I can't cast worth a darn and need some serious lessons. I think I may need all the instructors they have :lol:
Benny

Postby fly addict » October 12th, 2008, 8:35 am

Fly addict, Did you take the casting course? Ten bucks for six weeks is a awesome deal. And everyone that has fished with me knows I can't cast worth a darn and need some serious lessons. I think I may need all the instructors they have

Benny, Yes I took the class about 5 years ago. It helped me alot. I had lot's of bad habits. It took a lot of work on my part to change my casting stroke. If you pratice what they teach, you will get better. And will enjoy flyfishing a lot more. You might even become an instructor in a few years, and help some other poor fisherman improve there casting.
fly addict

Postby RSetina » October 12th, 2008, 8:46 am

I'd love to join but the only problem is the meetings. I'd never make one due to my job at UPS. I never get off before 630 - 700pm. Besides trips, are there any activities going on during the year on weekends?
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby fly addict » October 12th, 2008, 2:41 pm

RSetina
If you check the clubs web site. There is a section on activities. Every other Sunday is casting at 9am with a breakfast at 7:30 am.
fly addict

Postby Benny » October 12th, 2008, 3:13 pm

Every other Sunday would work out real nice for lots of people, not to mention if you add a bit of breakfast... :ugeek:
Benny

Return to General Fly Fishing