REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Ed Engle Article on Fishing Tenkara Rods

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Ed Engle Article on Fishing Tenkara Rods

Postby RSetina » August 19th, 2010, 3:13 pm

My friend Daniel had an opportunity to fish with Ed Engle and John Gierach on their home waters in Colorado. Ed wrote and article for Daily Camera that I found interesting to read since it was from the perspective of a professional angler and fly tier. I met Ed at The Fisherman's Spot about 2 months ago and he told me he was going to write a book about simplifying the fly fishing experience and that he'd bought a Tenkara rod to test them out. I didn't know at the time he would be taking a trip with Daniel, who came back from the trip very excited to share his experience. If you're interested in reading Ed's article, here it is.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Re: Ed Engle Article on Fishing Tenkara Rods

Postby rkfiske » August 19th, 2010, 3:30 pm

Those were both very good reads! Tenkara interests me more and more haha
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby RSetina » August 19th, 2010, 4:18 pm

rkfiske wrote:Those were both very good reads! Tenkara interests me more and more haha

Any time you'd like to give it a try on a local stream, let me know. I'd be happy to fish with you again, this time on a fresh water creek.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby hip » August 19th, 2010, 4:34 pm

Cool stuff to read about 8-)
Someone had sent me the link to that Tenkara sight before.
Because I fish a Tenkara style rig for Carp using a fixed fly lined telescopic graphite rod but mine is around 18 feet.
What I found interesting in the article is the length of line they fish is also similar to what functions best on the longer rod.
A couple of feet past the handle works the best.

They are fun to cast, nymph or swing a fly with.
The simplicity takes the focus off the equipment.
Without a reel there is no easy way to relieve the pressure of a hard pulling fish.
The battles get very intense as you have to bow to the fish when he throws you a jab.

If I fished tiny streams I would be all over a Tenkara or make my own out of a single piece of bamboo.

Thanks for the links. jon
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl.
Ernest Hemingway

hip

Postby rkfiske » August 19th, 2010, 4:48 pm

Dude Hip that is pretty rockin. I'm sure you confuse the * out of people when you're down there swinging that thing around ;)
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby RSetina » August 19th, 2010, 4:56 pm

That's so cool Jon. I know of a couple of guys that have used their Tenkara rods in the surf and had so good fights with perch. I haven't been so brave yet, but maybe someday. I've mentioned to Daniel that he should make a longer rod than the 13.5 foot Amago but there are no plans in the works to make anything longer at this time. Too bad, I'd probably buy one or two. (Sherry) I'd like to see a 15 or 16 footer. Where do you fish for the carp? I'd like to see that one day.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby darrin terry » August 19th, 2010, 5:29 pm

Nice, Rick. I just noticed an email from the Fresno Fly Fishers last night saying your friend Daniel is presenting here in Fresno next week. Seeing as I was semi-seriously looking at tenkara rods again recently, I thought I'd try to remember to show up next Thursday. :D

Excellent reads so far. I'll try and finish them tonight. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby FlyinFish » August 19th, 2010, 6:49 pm

Hahaha, Jon, Kim Chee Spey Rod... that's hilarious... I was thinking myself when I read this that a nice long piece of bamboo would be quite fun on the creeks. It would definitely be heavier, but a lot of fun. I'll have to swing by the gardening shop...

Rick, take the single digit freeway from where you live until it hits the other single digit freeway and that's around where the carping goes down. I'd tell you more if I knew it, but I don't have specifics and haven't had a chance yet to try it.
FlyinFish

Postby RSetina » August 19th, 2010, 8:13 pm

FlyinFish wrote:Hahaha, Jon, Kim Chee Spey Rod... that's hilarious... I was thinking myself when I read this that a nice long piece of bamboo would be quite fun on the creeks. It would definitely be heavier, but a lot of fun. I'll have to swing by the gardening shop...

Rick, take the single digit freeway from where you live until it hits the other single digit freeway and that's around where the carping goes down. I'd tell you more if I knew it, but I don't have specifics and haven't had a chance yet to try it.

I know were it is and after taking a second look at the photo of Jon carping I realized I'd fished there before with Eric. I know there are a few places to fish for carp, I just wasn't sure where he was. Thanks for the info though. Much appreciated.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby Eric » August 19th, 2010, 8:41 pm

Rick you really need to take the tenkara along on one of the surf runs. it would be a blast for the perch fishing
Eric
Eric

Postby hip » August 19th, 2010, 10:48 pm

RSetina wrote:
FlyinFish wrote:Hahaha, Jon, Kim Chee Spey Rod... that's hilarious... I was thinking myself when I read this that a nice long piece of bamboo would be quite fun on the creeks. It would definitely be heavier, but a lot of fun. I'll have to swing by the gardening shop...

I know were it is and after taking a second look at the photo of Jon carping I realized I'd fished there before with Eric. I know there are a few places to fish for carp, I just wasn't sure where he was. Thanks for the info though. Much appreciated.

Cool you figured it out 8-)

Flexing the big boy in the salt....
Before I could fish the rod I had to figure out what kind of line was going to work best from scratch.
After lots of trial and error at the park I was able to match the right head , weight and length of fly line to get maximum loopage.
An 18' foot rod throws a mean loop :D

On the saltwater front I have caught small Halibut a YFC and lots of Perch with my fixed stick.
It's a harder to use in the surf because on a stream or river the moving water works with the nymphing presentation.
In the surf since you impart motion in your fly by stripping it's harder to replicate using a fixed line rod.

To fish the fixed stick I would cast as far as I could then slowly swing the rod parallel to the water and at the same time I would walk backwards keeping a tight line.
Which gives me an idea for my next outing.
I think I will tie up some flies that are almost like puff balls that would have better movement dead sticking them in the surf instead of fishing a fly that you have to strip. jon
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl.
Ernest Hemingway

hip

Postby FishingHiker » August 20th, 2010, 12:03 am

DrCreek wrote:... (in thought)... Hmmm... a Tenkara SPL... hmmm... :bananadance:

Hmmm? 8' SPL 0wt.? Go find the old Sage DT 0wt. line, measure out 18' of line, tie line to or near hook keeper, bimini twist or furled leader and 4' of 6x.
FishingHiker

Postby 1mocast » August 21st, 2010, 1:46 pm

FishingHiker wrote:
DrCreek wrote:... (in thought)... Hmmm... a Tenkara SPL... hmmm... :bananadance:

Hmmm? 8' SPL 0wt.? Go find the old Sage DT 0wt. line, measure out 18' of line, tie line to or near hook keeper, bimini twist or furled leader and 4' of 6x.

We can do that right now with any rod...tie the leader to the tip section....And Off you go. Now if we can make a 12 ft. 0wt...Hmmmm
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Sasha » August 21st, 2010, 2:24 pm

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:
Sasha

Postby darrin terry » August 27th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Hey Rick,

I made the meeting last night and met your friend Daniel. Nice guy. His presentation was mostly the same material I'd seen through his website, but there was some cool history of Tenkara included. I also got the chance to cast his 13.5-foot Ayu. I was impressed at the delicate presentation of the fly (bit of red yarn). The sportsman's club where the meetings are held has a pond which we used for the casting.

I must say I was impressed with the rod and while it would not be my choice for ponds from shore, it might be fun from a tube on bluegill and such. It is certainly well suited to smaller creeks. Tenkara perfect, Daniel calls them. Looking forward to giving one a go very soon.

Darrin
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing