REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

whats next

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

whats next

Postby gabe » October 1st, 2008, 8:01 pm

so whats next on your tick list?
anything in the sport...

for me I'd like to strike off a few species, tilapia and a striper.
i'm also hoping to get a brown in the 20's this fall. keeping my fingers crossed.
gabe

Re: whats next

Postby Sheriff Joe » October 1st, 2008, 8:05 pm

A 20" fish on the 0wt is up there for me. Also to get competent at surf fishing. And to kick it with you more on some water, my little friend! :D
Slap a cold trout on it!
Sheriff Joe

Postby Sasha » October 2nd, 2008, 6:40 am

Oh I don’t know I think I might want to check out some alpine lakes up here that are rumored to hold CA golden trout. I also would like to get into some Bull trout.
Sasha

Postby RichardCullip » October 2nd, 2008, 3:04 pm

I recently ticked off a Calico Bass (SD Bay) and Black Croaker (unexpectly caught down in SD Bay) and Snake River Fine-spotted Cutthroat (intentionally targeted in Jackson Hole, Wy) from my list of critters to be caught with a fly rod.

I'd love to get a channel catfish (from the Kern or Isabella) in the near future as I haven't yet caught one of those on a fly rod. I'd also love to get a Spotfin Croaker from the beach since that's one surf species that's eluded me in spite of trying hard the last few visits down to San Diego.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby fflutterffly » October 2nd, 2008, 6:46 pm

I really like to get a handle on Entomology. Really understand it. so when I see a hatch, instead of just guessing I know what is needed. As for which fish to go after next. Simplicity: Bass and Carp, some sea stuff.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby gabe » October 2nd, 2008, 6:58 pm

fflutterffly wrote:I really like to get a handle on Entomology. Really understand it. so when I see a hatch, instead of just guessing I know what is needed. As for which fish to go after next. Simplicity: Bass and Carp, some sea stuff.

thats a good one. I could also use some entomology knowledge as well.

RichardCullip wrote:I'd also love to get a Spotfin Croaker from the beach since that's one surf species that's eluded me in spite of trying hard the last few visits down to San Diego.

those spotfin croakers sure are illusive, even to the convention tackle fisherman.
I've spotted a school before, and they wouldn't have anything to do with my flies.
It was so frustrating seeing those big huge fish just swim by.
gabe

Postby Rollincast » October 3rd, 2008, 8:30 am

Double digit Striper on top water and a Rooster from the Surf. :D :D :D

Randy
Always looking for brownie points
Rollincast

Postby RichardCullip » October 3rd, 2008, 8:41 am

Rollincast wrote:Double digit Striper on top water and a Rooster from the Surf. :D :D :D

Randy

When are you going to Baja? Can I tag along?
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Benny » October 3rd, 2008, 9:15 am

Randy & Richard, here is a little sneak peek at some Rooster on the Fly.

Benny

Postby Benny » October 3rd, 2008, 9:20 am

gabe wrote:i'm also hoping to get a brown in the 20's this fall

Story of my life brotha, I have been trying for a nice brown for a long time. Looks like I'm going to have to wait on that this fall :(
Benny

Postby Sasha » October 3rd, 2008, 9:24 am

Benny wrote:
gabe wrote:i'm also hoping to get a brown in the 20's this fall

Story of my life brotha, I have been trying for a nice brown for a long time. Looks like I'm going to have to wait on that this fall :(

Well you guys get your butts up here and I will take you to a spot where you can get them :D
Sasha

Postby Benny » October 3rd, 2008, 9:29 am

Sasha wrote:

Well you guys get your butts up here and I will take you to a spot where you can get them :D

I guess Gabe & I are going to be taken a road trip to IdahoImage
Benny

Postby Sasha » October 3rd, 2008, 9:31 am

Sweet! Just dont bring any of those crappy rods that are 600.00 dollars (599.99 and below are fine) I dont want to look like a poser ;) :lol:
Sasha

Postby darrin terry » October 3rd, 2008, 9:46 am

Benny wrote:Story of my life brotha, I have been trying for a nice brown for a long time…

Me too. Had an unexpected chance to go fish the LO in March. Unexpected as in two days notice. Made the decision to go. Two hours later had that ripped from my grasp. :evil: :( I've caught a grand total of 3 browns, two of them on the fly. Best brown so far? 9-inches. But the 5-6 inch one was prettier. The LO will happen this coming winter.

I also spend quite a few fishing days chasing brookies in small creeks. Small fish, and that's ok, but I would still like to get me a 12-15 inch brook some time. Personally, I think that brook trout, at their pretties, are at least as pretty as goldens.

I guess that at this point in flyfishing my "What's next?" would be to get into at least a double digit brown, and the same with a brook trout.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Sasha » October 3rd, 2008, 1:06 pm

Actually guys I would not rush up here. The browns are spawning right now so I am going to leave them alone for a while.
Sasha

Return to General Fly Fishing