REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

American Flag patch

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

American Flag patch

Postby fish-on-bro » August 10th, 2010, 9:45 pm

OK, I am sewing a American Flag patch on my fly fishing vest, should it be sewn on my left pocket or right pocket. Orientation would be MY left and right. I know it might sound crazy, but I do not want to put it on a wrong side, if there is one. :?
Thanks,
Fish-on-bro, out....
fish-on-bro

Re: American Flag patch

Postby darrin terry » August 10th, 2010, 10:01 pm

I found the following at this website… http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/FAQs/faqs.aspx

This is from question 6:

"How should the American Flag patch be worn?

The U.S. Code states "no part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica should be worn on the left lapel near the heart."
The U.S. Code does not address the positioning of the flag patch. It is appropriate to wear an American flag patch on the left or right sleeve. When worn on the left sleeve, the union would appear towards the front and the stripes would run horizontally toward the back. When worn on the right sleeve, it is considered proper to reverse the design so that the union is at the observer’s right to suggest that the flag is flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward.
Since the law does not specifically address the positioning of the patch, a decision is left to the discretion of the organization prescribing the wear. As many states and cities have ordinances pertaining to the use of the flag, you may wish to contact the Attorney General of your state or the City Attorney’s office regarding this matter."

I must say I am pleased to see someone actually ask. I see the flag displayed in a disrespectful manner every day. I think many just do not realize there are established rules for its display and that is considered to be a living entity. The rules are intended to show respect for the flag and all it stands for. Thank you for understanding this. It does get noticed and it does matter.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » August 10th, 2010, 11:58 pm

Thanks for the info, I've been wondering this as well.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby fflutterffly » August 11th, 2010, 6:03 am

The flag is a very sentimental reminder of not only it's symbolism as a living item, but reminds me everyday of those who participate in keeping us all safe. I don't need a specific holiday to remind me of what is sacrificed. I still stand at home and do the pledge or anthem when it come on before the games. Great question. Perfect answer.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby RiverRat » August 11th, 2010, 7:14 am

great question. Side closest to the heart. That is also why Boy Scouts shake hands with their left hand. Closer to the heart than the right!

Nice research Darrin.

shane
RiverRat

Postby fish-on-bro » August 11th, 2010, 11:06 am

Thanks for the info Darrin. I wanted the right etiquette with no disrespect.

Fish-on-bro, out....
fish-on-bro

Postby darrin terry » August 11th, 2010, 11:38 am

RiverRat wrote:great question. Side closest to the heart. That is also why Boy Scouts shake hands with their left hand. Closer to the heart than the right!

Nice research Darrin.

shane

Interesting, Shane. I had known of Scouts using the left hand but had heard the reason/origin was much different. Something about the left hand/arm being the one which would bear a shield while right was the traditional sword arm. Supposedly when a truce or such was agreed upon the left hand would be used when shaking hands, thus leaving the shield side of the body vulnerable to attack if the other person still had a sword or dagger in his right hand.

I've seen this version several times, but never knew what the truth is. I suppose I could look it up on the Scouts website as I have done for many other things. :idea:

FOB, happy to help.

Darrin
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby darrin terry » August 11th, 2010, 11:51 am

I did not find what I was looking for on their website, but found some info at Wikipedia. Certainly not always the authority, but much good info is found there.

Here's as link to the Wikipedia page…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_handshake

Also this…

http://www.netpages.free-online.co.uk/sha/lhs.htm

Who knows. :?
darrin terry

Postby RiverRat » August 11th, 2010, 12:13 pm

Appreciate the proper etiquette in such important matters! The American flag is the most loved and abused flag in the world.

Boy Scout Handbook 2010
"The Scout Handshake is made with the hand nearest to the heart and is offered as a token of friendship. Extend your left hand to another Scout and firmly grasp his left hand. The finger do not interlock"

Who knows where it started but that is how it's taught now.

If any forum members need flags retired you can send them to me. Our troop does respectful flag retirement ceremonies with a bugler and everything! Our last one was up on the Kern and we invited everyone and had most of the campground in tears.

shane
RiverRat

Postby darrin terry » August 11th, 2010, 12:19 pm

Nice, Shane. I've a friend whose dad is an Elks Lodge member and we get our old flags to him for retirement as they do flag retirement ceremonies each year.
darrin terry

Postby FFFF » August 11th, 2010, 1:14 pm

The American Flag takes position to the right of any other flag as it would look out at something.....right side being the position of honor. I can't recall where we put it on our cammie sleeves when we were overseas.....but I seem to remember it being on the right side.
Booyah for you wanting to fly Old Glory!!!!!
FFFF

Postby ptflashback » August 13th, 2010, 7:20 am

Darrin:

First, thank you for asking. Additionally, I echo the above-mentioned. As Soldiers, we proudly wear the reverse American flag on the right shoulder while deployed. If you look at the uniform of troops overseas, the flag does appear mirrored or reversed. It is this way so as to create the visual impression that we are charging forward in battle with the guidon, the American flag, leading the charge. (Just as your description indicates.)

Tight lines, and thank you all for respecting what we fight to protect.

CPT S
ptflashback

Postby fly addict » August 13th, 2010, 8:13 am

This is how not to display the American Flag! The * that did this should be hung.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby FFFF » August 13th, 2010, 3:45 pm

The American Flag always takes precedence over any nation in when flown in our country. Flying it upside down is a signal for distress........there is some irony to that picture if you think about it.
FFFF

Return to General Fly Fishing