REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Well I took the plunge

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Well I took the plunge

Postby Sasha » October 1st, 2008, 2:32 pm

Well today I decided to take the plunge. I walked into my local fly shop and ordered a Sage 000710-3 TXL and 3/0 DT line. I gave him my reel and it should be here MON or TUE. He said he would give me a call when it is all spooled up and ready to go. I think I will break it in on that little river I go to with the Redbands.
Sasha

Re: Well I took the plunge

Postby darrin terry » October 1st, 2008, 2:46 pm

Triple eh? Nice. Can't wait for the telling. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby anacrime » October 1st, 2008, 4:53 pm

very cool dude
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby midger » October 1st, 2008, 5:03 pm

Here I thought you were talking about getting married, but no, you are just talking about buying another flyrod. Sheesh. I didn't know there were fish small enough for that rod in Idaho. I must fish the wrong areas, eh? :lol: :lol: I wonder how many of those small rods they actually sell up there?
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Eric » October 1st, 2008, 5:07 pm

Very nice Sasha..I can see Mike tearing up right now!!! Another one joins the ultra light gang :?: :?: looking forward to your first report.
Eric
Eric

Postby flybob » October 1st, 2008, 5:09 pm

Many congrats Sasha!
Welcome to the club!

Boy, you are sure going to stand out like the sore thumb up there! :lol:

That's OK. when you land that first hog on it, and everyone sees how much fun you have doing it, well let's just say the Sage is going to be happy!

If you are ever in S. Cal, pm me, or Creek or, mtnguru or one of the many others of the UL persuasion!
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby gabe » October 1st, 2008, 5:14 pm

congrats on the new rod
gabe

Postby Sasha » October 1st, 2008, 5:23 pm

Thanks guys! Yea the 1WT just was not UL enough for me ;)
Yea I will have to hit you guys up next time I am down there (well down there for fishing and not Disneyland). Oh I think I have found plenty of different waters where that rod will come in handy (you guys have seen my more recent reports right? :D ;) )

@ Midger: Dude I have been married for 6 yrs.
Sasha

Postby midger » October 1st, 2008, 5:32 pm

Sasha,
I knew that--3 children right?

I guess with the new rod, four. ;)
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Sasha » October 1st, 2008, 7:31 pm

midger wrote:Sasha,
I knew that--3 children right?

I guess with the new rod, four. ;)

Yup married with three kids.

Yes sadly I only own 4 rods and reels now a 000, 1, 5 and 9. I need to get out and buy some more rods ;)
Sasha

Postby Sasha » October 9th, 2008, 6:16 am

Ok I am starting to get nervous that I am not going to have my new toy in time for my trip this weekend :( . I ordered this thing last WED. I was told that it would be in MON or TUE. I called MON and I was told it would be in on WED. I went by yesterday and it still wasn’t there. (sorry for the rant)
Sasha

Postby flybob » October 9th, 2008, 7:05 am

Sasha wrote:Ok I am starting to get nervous that I am not going to have my new toy in time for my trip this weekend :( . I ordered this thing last WED. I was told that it would be in MON or TUE. I called MON and I was told it would be in on WED. I went by yesterday and it still wasn’t there. (sorry for the rant)

Hey Sash, I don't want to upset you or anything, but I ordered mine from Cabela's (am I allowed to say that? :lol: ) I was told it would be on backorder for a month!
Well I ended up getting it in two weeks but it was delivered directly from Sage!

Hope it comes today!

Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby RichardCullip » October 9th, 2008, 7:55 am

Congrats on finally taking the plunge. That light little rod will be great on small streams. You should have no worries about launching the little guys out of the water on the hook set (something that can and will happen with heavier rods) and, as I hope you find out real soon, the smaller rods have surprisingly good fish fighting ability. When needed, you can put quite a bit of pressure on the larger than expected fish with these small rods. With a good low rod angle you can easily supply enough force to test the limits of tippet strength. Go out and catch some fish with it and let us know how it was.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Sasha » October 9th, 2008, 8:38 am

RichardCullip wrote:Congrats on finally taking the plunge. That light little rod will be great on small streams. You should have no worries about launching the little guys out of the water on the hook set (something that can and will happen with heavier rods) and, as I hope you find out real soon, the smaller rods have surprisingly good fish fighting ability. When needed, you can put quite a bit of pressure on the larger than expected fish with these small rods. With a good low rod angle you can easily supply enough force to test the limits of tippet strength. Go out and catch some fish with it and let us know how it was.

Yea well I feel like a kid at frickin Christmas :D

I might have to retire the 1WT after I get it ;)
Sasha

Postby Sasha » October 9th, 2008, 8:44 am

DrCreek wrote:
Sasha wrote:...Well today I decided to take the plunge. I walked into my local fly shop and ordered a Sage 000710-3 TXL and 3/0 DT line....

I'm so proud of you ! Like a couple of the fellas mentioned, I have tears rolling as we speak. You're gonna have so much fun you won't be able to stand yourself ! Bring it along if/when you come down to Southern Cal. I'm betting there would be several of us willing to take you out to one or more of the more sacred runs.

Best, Dr

Thanks!

Yea the next time I am down there I will have to bring it with me. I want to get down there and fish with you guys but it probably will not be until 09.
Actually they are already calling for snow up here tonight thru this weekend so I might have some real fun fishing this weekend even without the 000WT rod. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it comes in today or tomorrow or I will just have to take the 1WT.
Sasha

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing