REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

beware the roadside stop.

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

beware the roadside stop.

Postby fflutterffly » July 18th, 2010, 9:04 pm

Karen and I often 'grade' our roadside stops for lunch, shouting out the good finds and sharing with all who motor the 395. We have two new entre's. One is a warning the other a suggestion.
#1 The worst we've ever had.
This award is given to Big Pines road side diner The Country Kitchen. It doesn't even deserve the D+ we gave it, but we felt kind. It is a must to keep clear of the chili. I think they make it out of Chef boy O' D's sauce mixed with Ketchup. The salad was very watery and the dressing barely passable. I have to mention the equally watery shake that karen order. Just don't eat there. Save your money for... dare I say it... McDonald's.

#2 Habachi Grill Bishop
Sizzler vacated it's location and was briefly replaced with what could hardly be called eatable dining. However, we stopped at the new Habachi for Dinner on Saturday and found it reasonably good for $12.95. We stopped in again before leaving town for lunch but found that on Sundays they serve dinner all day at the above price, instead of the $9.95 lunch. That ticked me off a bit, but look what it got me.... Country Kitchen. We graded this place as a C+. A fast food, buffet, all you can eat faire and you get sushi, wok cooked side bar, and a bunch of other stuff. Service is fine.

As for the fishing... we killed them on dries in the evenings, but had a hard time fishing in the 100+ heat in PV. All fish were around 14-10", with beautiful color and nice weight. Go up, visit the shop, eat some food and have a great time!

Fly Addict gave me a call and said the upper O was dancing up a storm, from the sound of all the fish he released.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Re: beware the roadside stop.

Postby Raider » July 19th, 2010, 6:16 am

Ariel, Nice report. I tend to not be as adventurous in chosing my eating places and meals. There was a time that they didn't bother to take my order at Tom's Place. They just brought me my food when they saw me sitting there. It was nice talking with you Sat. I was very tempted by your offer to join you, I love a good hatch, but I had to get back and enjoy the free sauna that we lovingly call home(116 yesterday in Ridgecrest). I was worn out anyway. The UpperO was fishing very well and hoppers are now being given serious consideration by fishes there. Good thing they are more adventrous eaters than I. I wonder what grade all my flies really got?? Later, Raider
Raider

Postby WanderingBlues » July 19th, 2010, 9:55 am

Glad to see something replaced the buffet business in the Sizzler building. my son liked going there, but from my prespective, it was pretty nasty.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby gabe » July 19th, 2010, 12:53 pm

My favorite place to eat in Big Pine is Rossi's if I am ever lucky enough to pass through when they are open.
The Petite pantry next to David's shop is good eats for Bishop.
In Lone Pine me and linda tried Miguel's Totem Cafe. Not a bad spot. Very neat relics around the restaurant.

I can't recall any where we have eaten that I have anything bad to say. Guess we've been lucky so far.
gabe

Postby John Harper » July 26th, 2010, 12:43 pm

Sorry to hear about the Country Kitchen. My dad and I used stop there years ago, it was pretty good food then. Of course, it's hard to do too much damage at breakfast.

One of the best burgers is at the Astro Burger in Kramer Junction. Place looks closed, but if you catch it when open you will definitely come back. Great job on the fries too.

John
John Harper

Postby planettrout » July 26th, 2010, 2:10 pm

fflutterffly wrote:Karen and I often 'grade' our roadside stops for lunch, shouting out the good finds and sharing with all who motor the 395. We have two new entre's. One is a warning the other a suggestion.
#1 The worst we've ever had.
This award is given to Big Pines road side diner The Country Kitchen. It doesn't even deserve the D+ we gave it, but we felt kind.

FF,

Back in the day, when I used to varmint hunt, before sun up, in the Owens Valley, I would go into the CK for breakfast, cammo-ed out and covered in "skunk screen" and fox urine. I don't know who got the worse end of the deal..I certainly didn't have anyone sitting near me...

PT/TB :P
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby Trootfisher » July 29th, 2010, 11:17 am

I highly recommend Mahogany Smoked Meats in Bishop. In addition buying some of their delicious smoked meats to take home, they also make sandwiches out of their smoked meats. Best BLT I've ever had. It had about 10 pieces of their Mahogany Smoked Bacon on it.
Trootfisher

Postby darrin terry » July 29th, 2010, 12:51 pm

I picked up some of the bacon from Mahogany Smoked Meats when I was in Bishop in January along with a bunch differernt *. Fantastic stuff all around. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby FFFF » July 29th, 2010, 6:59 pm

Primo Burger on the corner of the 14 in Mojave does everything most excellent....and very reasonable prices too!!!!!
FFFF

Postby stickboy » July 31st, 2010, 4:56 am

Lots of good eats from Bishop and beyond but imo everything before that is sketchy. Starting in Bishop try Shahts, Amigos, Bishop Golf course and Jacks. In Mammoth The Stove, Robertos, Angels, Hot Chicks, Breakfast Club, Giovanis. Good eating
stickboy

Return to General Fly Fishing