REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

After the Fires

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

After the Fires

Postby Bernard » June 22nd, 2010, 11:12 am

Did a quick side trip yesterday while running an errand in the Sunland area. I am sure that many of you have seen some of this stuff already but it blows my mind what the damage was up in the local hills. This photo captures the essence of a massive wash made even more massive after the recent fires have removed the plant life that helped hold the soil. I'm sure this wash already was big but this photo still punctuates it all. It's intense. Oh 'vell ...
Bernard

Re: After the Fires

Postby WanderingBlues » June 22nd, 2010, 11:34 am

The post-fire damage is always far more extreme. The Old Fire in 2003 was bad, but the damage from the rains after was far worse.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Wildman » June 22nd, 2010, 12:01 pm

I was on both the Morris and the Station Fire and agree that the hillsides have been nuked. If it's any consolation, I was just in a drainage that was moonscaped a few years ago and has come back thick, strong and healthy. I was amazed at the regrowth and the variety of plant life and wild life as we climbed the very path of the fire. Here's hoping that area will regenerate as well.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Bernard » June 22nd, 2010, 1:59 pm

Wildman wrote:I was on both the Morris and the Station Fire and agree that the hillsides have been nuked. If it's any consolation, I was just in a drainage that was moonscaped a few years ago and has come back thick, strong and healthy. I was amazed at the regrowth and the variety of plant life and wild life as we climbed the very path of the fire. Here's hoping that area will regenerate as well.

Amen
Bernard

Postby FFFF » June 28th, 2010, 6:23 pm

I was on the station fire too..... You guys all know that fire is a natural part of the ecosystem here in SoCal.......and though things may get ruined for a year or two, nature has a way of coming back strong and regenerating herself. I am always amazed at the regrowth of the hills, even within one winter of a big fire in some places.
FFFF

Return to General Fly Fishing