REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Smith River

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Smith River

Postby Flyjunkie » February 7th, 2010, 2:00 pm

NorcalBob wrote:Well, to put things into perspective, if I went to the Smith and the biggest fish I caught was a 24" trout, I'd be ecstatic and call that epic fishing. If I went to the Kenai and the biggest fish I caught was a 24" trout, I'd be * and say that the fishing sucked!!!! :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
Both trips cost about the same!!!!! :booty: :booty: :deadhorse:

Well..... I can go to Baja, catch 25 LB. Dorado alot... and pay less then 1/2 the amount for Either trip for Trout... for a 6 day run..... :booty: :booty: :rockon: :rockon: (ha ha ha LOL!!!)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby NorcalBob » February 7th, 2010, 2:05 pm

$3K a week is about the standard price for a completely outfitted (ie, they do everything) float to most every spot in Alaska. You can do it much cheaper if you DIY (especially the Kenai, but I wouldn't recommend that option for a first timer to AK). The float portions of the Kenai isn't really combat fishing since a boat is required, but it is not a wilderness experience either. Now, the Upper Kenai (no boat required) is combat fishing!!!
Here's a full service lodge on the Kenai- http://www.towerrocklodge.com/package.html
(I recommend the Fall Flyfishing Special in September)
And here is a float outfitter who's very good - http://www.ultimaterivers.com/default.asp
These are only two of many, and if you are interested in some specific fishing adventure (ie, King Salmon) let me know what you're interested in.
Don't get me wrong, the Smith is a very nice adventure, but in terms of value for your $$$$$$, I really don't understand why MT is more popular than AK!!!!!
NorcalBob

Postby NorcalBob » February 7th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Yeah Dean, so can I !!!!!! :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart:
Baja is an incredible value. :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
But it looks like Benny wants trout!!!! :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:
NorcalBob

Postby Flyjunkie » February 7th, 2010, 2:12 pm

NorcalBob wrote:$3K a week is about the standard price for a completely outfitted (ie, they do everything) float to most every spot in Alaska. You can do it much cheaper if you DIY (especially the Kenai, but I wouldn't recommend that option for a first timer to AK). The float portions of the Kenai isn't really combat fishing since a boat is required, but it is not a wilderness experience either. Now, the Upper Kenai (no boat required) is combat fishing!!!
Here's a full service lodge on the Kenai- http://www.towerrocklodge.com/package.html
(I recommend the Fall Flyfishing Special in September)
And here is a float outfitter who's very good - http://www.ultimaterivers.com/default.asp
These are only two of many, and if you are interested in some specific fishing adventure (ie, King Salmon) let me know what you're interested in.
Don't get me wrong, the Smith is a very nice adventure, but in terms of value for your $$$$$$, I really don't understand why MT is more popular than AK!!!!!

Good Points Bob.. Probably because Montana has a Long History of Flyfishing.. and that Most folks can just Drive there.. and drive along the highways and just get out & fish... Never been to Montana myself (although that free week at the 5 Rivers Lodge is still open to me...).....
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby Flyjunkie » February 7th, 2010, 2:14 pm

NorcalBob wrote:Yeah Dean, so can I !!!!!! :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart:
Baja is an incredible value. :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
But it looks like Benny wants trout!!!! :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:

Yeah, got get those "Trout Itus" sufferers to Cure that ailment... :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Heading to Loreto June 10th thru the 15th... Yeah Baby!!!!!! :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:
Flyjunkie

Postby Benny » February 7th, 2010, 2:28 pm

What I'm looking for in the float trips, is a bit of adventure, some beautiful country and of course some decent fly fishing. It seems like you would be able to get really intimate with the river when spending close to a week floating it. Some of the videos I have seen are very intriguing.

Dean, fly fishing in Baja would definitely not be out of the question. I'm off the week of June 19-27, I believe that's one week after your Loreto Trip :doh:
Benny

Postby STMFlyGuide » February 8th, 2010, 8:52 am

Benny,
I have done the Smith River Float you speak of two times. Caves, Pictographs, Petroglyphs, Canyon Walls and Brown Trout! And once you put in you are on the water for usually five days! Its about the total experience, not how big of fish you can catch on this one. I have buddies in MT that guide it and it has changed a lot recently.. Call me if you want to know exactly what to expect if you go there. Oh, and Midger is correct, you cant just put in and float it.. It is now highly managed.. Each outfitter is given so many trips... To float it on your own you must enter a drawing like a hunting tag and it is very popular so good luck... Also the first * you take goes with you all the way to the end in a 5-gallon bucket. David
Mammoth Lakes Fly Fishing Guide and Fly Shop in Bishop Ca

http://www.sierratroutmagnet.com
STMFlyGuide

Postby briansII » February 8th, 2010, 12:49 pm

Benny,

I have buddies who have been doing a Alaska DIY float for quite a while now. Outfitter drops you off on a remote river, with your gear and his rafts. You have a scheduled pickup about a week later. Fishing can be incredible, as long as the weather(rain)cooperates. Price is much cheaper than a full service float trip......but it's also a lot more work on your part. If you're interested, I can get you more info.

briansII
briansII

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » February 8th, 2010, 9:34 pm

I just got a notification email from travelzoo.com that has some really good deals on flights to Alaska from SoCal that go all the way through June......... Might want to look into soon if you're considering Alaska.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing