REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fishing meat & potatoes

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fishing meat & potatoes

Postby fish-on-bro » January 14th, 2010, 9:25 pm

OK guys, my fly fishing club had a special seminar last night. Now if your a streamer fisherman you will be droolling on this one. The seminar was done by the one the only, Kelly Galloup. This guy is a streamer and big fish guru. He started with a 2 hours of tying and then 2 hours of his style of fishing. Let me tell you, he fishes meat and potatoes, big streamers for big fish. He says when a fish hits 24''s they are not insect eaters anymore. He had a pic of a 16" brookie with a 48" water snake hanging out of its mouth, cool. If any of you guys get a chance to have Kelly talk at your club, do so, he is great speaker. Here are a couple of pics enjoy. Fish-on-bro, out....

Fish-on-bro & Kelly Galloup

Some meat and potatoes
fish-on-bro

Re: Fishing meat & potatoes

Postby WanderingBlues » January 14th, 2010, 10:35 pm

Nice! My biggest rainbow has been taken on a streamer. Could you send me his info? I can pass it on to the club I'm in.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby stanbery » January 15th, 2010, 3:48 am

Chuck

You suck :fireangry: So how much info did you learn? He would be a good speaker.

Curtis
Check out his info here
http://www.slideinn.com/

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Artin » January 15th, 2010, 8:50 am

Nice post...
I saw him speak @ the Fishermens Spot in Van Nuys last year I think. He is a good speaker and puts streamer fishing in perspective for many people. His advice is golden and should be considered.
Big flies = BIG FISH that's a given. But I think many people aren't mentally ready for a day on the water with one or two fish sometimes none (quality vs. quantity)
Or they don't know that streamers are that effective. What ever the reason, one event with someone like Galloup will turn a few to start or if they already dabble with streamers they will probably put more time into it!
I personally have had many 12" trout try to grab a 4" streamer... hehe pretty fun. :rockon:
That said, all hail to the mighty streamer.

Good luck all...

Nice post,

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby Eric » January 15th, 2010, 8:55 am

Thanks for the report Chuck. I also was at the Spot when Kelly when gave a demo. great speaker and a very nice guy.
Eric
Eric

Postby Flyjunkie » January 15th, 2010, 10:02 am

Yeah Kelly spreads the Streamer Gospel wonderfully to all who need converting... ;)

I honestly Know that a great Many Flyfishers are locked in this "size #16 or Smaller" Mindset with regards to Trout.. and while it holds true for Little Trout, ANY TROUT over 17 Inches has Added Baitfish, Baby Trout and Other Small Fish types to their Diet...

Personally, with a few exceptions, My largest Trout out of the Various Rivers and the Major Creeks of the Sierra have been caught on Streamers.. (and some of these Waters i've nailed big trout on streamers would Blow some Folks' Minds...)..

Yeah, as Artin stated, It's a Quality verses Quantity thing... I'll take Quality anyday.....

Plus the Best thing about fishing Streamers... those Arm Jarring, shoulder dislocating, Takes... Too Bloody Cool.... :rockon: :rockon:

Nothing less then 8 lb. Tippet.. or else Bye bye Streamer.... :lol:
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby briansII » January 15th, 2010, 10:48 am

.......so what do we call the guys who fish long leaders and small flies. Quiche' fishermen. ;)

Sounds like a really good program. I have his DVDs, and have stayed at The Slide Inn. While I was already a meat and potato kinda of guy, now I find myself lurking in the rodent section of pet stores looking for new ideas. 4 legged terrestrials baby!! ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby Jim T » January 15th, 2010, 11:23 am

I really wished I could make it to his presentation but couldn't swing driving all the way down there last night when I'm driving down there tonight for a bay outing tomorrow.

I have his videos and met him at his shop last year. He also has a Fishing Streamers for Trophy Trout podcast on Ask About Fly Fishing (http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/speakers/kelly/kelly.cfm). I really like his "Nymphing by the Numbers" dvd. Too bad I watched it after I returned from the Madison.

Did he talk at all about dropping anything behind a streamer? I've had good luck with soft hackles behind my streamers.

I'll check with our club speaker chair to see if we can get him at a meeting this year.

Jim T
Jim T

Postby pkonoske » January 15th, 2010, 2:22 pm

Great presentation, huh? He was up here (Walnut Creek, Calif.) on Tuesday.
~ Pat
pkonoske

Postby FFFF » January 15th, 2010, 8:48 pm

Check out the "Slide Inn" on the Madison River in SW Montana....Kelly owns it and I've stayed there. I think he ties the best flies I have ever used...period.
FFFF

Postby Flyjunkie » January 16th, 2010, 9:32 am

briansII wrote:.......so what do we call the guys who fish long leaders and small flies. Quiche' fishermen. ;)

briansII

That's a Great One Brian.... :funnyup: :rockon: :funnyup: :rockon: :funnyup: :rockon:

Last week I had assisted a Young Gent, CHRIS, with an introduction to Streamer fishing, Sold him some Patterns, some of those Sinking Leaders, some 8lb. & 10 lb. tippet, etc....

He went up to the Lower Kings and using the Methods and Flies I set him up with, Nailed 2 respectable Rainbows.. He had a Blast and really loved the Savage takes!!!! He is now a Confirmed Meat & Potatoes Flyfisher.. :rockon: :rockon:

He came in the other day, bought more streamers(Black Barr's Bouface) and was going to take his Girlfriend back to the Kings and get her going with Streamers... I'm trying to get him to Post the Pictures of his Rainbows here.... ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Return to General Fly Fishing