REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Dumb Question of the Day

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Dumb Question of the Day

Postby WanderingBlues » December 9th, 2009, 2:40 pm

I'd like to pick up a pair of waders for creek/stream/river use, with maybe some float tubing in the warmer months. Would that be breathable with stockingfeet? Also, what's the poll on felt bottom vs. vibram type soles? Any product suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.
Curtis
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: Dumb Question of the Day

Postby rayfound » December 9th, 2009, 2:48 pm

You've got it.

I like Felt (Gasp!) for slippery freestone creeks we have around here.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Pete » December 9th, 2009, 2:53 pm

Personal opinion: Breathable with stocking feet. Probably the sticky sole wading boots. Sounds like some waters are starting to band felt soles.

Pete
Pete

Postby DubL HauL » December 9th, 2009, 2:54 pm

Curtis

Most guys use breathable stocking foot waders with wading boots. Then in summer you'll ditch the waders get some neoprene wading socks and rock the wading boots. The trend is moving to the vibram soles and felt will be a thing of the past. I'm in the market for a new pair of SIMMS wading boots with the new vibrams. On the waders you can go on the cheap like Hodgeman or spend a pretty penny for a pair of SIMMS. Just remember you usually get what you pay for.

I've heard good reviews on the SIMMS rivershed boots. My g/f has SIMMS Guide Boot with the Streamtread cause she needed them and I was at the mercy of what was in stock in her size a day before leaving for Montana. She loves them never needed to break them in fit like a glove.

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby beachbum » December 9th, 2009, 2:55 pm

Stocking foot breathable waders, with room for fleece underneath. I am sold on the sticky sole boots, for all around use. I haven't used my felt soles in a year.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby DubL HauL » December 9th, 2009, 3:00 pm

rayfound wrote:You've got it.

I like Felt (Gasp!) for slippery freestone creeks we have around here.

That's funny when did you start wearing felts?

hibbert
DubL HauL

Postby darrin terry » December 9th, 2009, 3:14 pm

Breathables and the non-felts. If you are wearing or going to be wearing the Simms with the Streamtread soles from Vibram, you might consider the new cleats they sell. They are specifically designed, shapewise, to fit between the lugs on them. You wont likely need them on most waters, but the slipperiest rivers might call for them. I just intalled two cleats at the front and two at the heel of mine. Much better on the local tailwater. Just a thought.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Rob909 » December 9th, 2009, 3:16 pm

Go breathable with stockingfoot and the vibram sole boots.

Just my $.02

Rob
Rob909

Postby midger » December 9th, 2009, 4:24 pm

As you can see, opinions are like certain body parts that everyone has one of. :booty:

Everyone has an opinion of what works best for them. I've been a user of felts and felts with carbide studs for many years. Thinking about getting a pair of the sticky soled Patagonias, but from what Jon (PapaS) says, they aren't all that.

It really depends on where you plan to fish. Don't take studded boots to any river with slick, smooth granite rocks (like the Kern) or you'll bust your tail--I speak from experience on this one. Don't try to wade without studs or cleats on the Klamath, or again, you'll bust your tail--again, experience.

If you float tube a lot of cold lakes, neoprene works well with surfing booties--no boots. For warmer lakes, breathables work fine, but if using a float tube, rubbing can wear holes in your breathables much more quickly than the neoprenes. The breathables do allow layering underneath (advantage), and they don't get as clammy and hot during the summer as the neoprenes do.

If limited to one pair of waders and boots for all round use (for my type fishing), I'd go with:

Breathable stockingfoot Simms or Patagonia waders and a pair of felt soled boots, and get a pair of overboot chains for those steelhead rivers and for when you are getting in a guide's boat--they're not fond of studded boots due to the damage they do to boot interiors.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » December 9th, 2009, 5:37 pm

IMHO, studded felt soles grip the best on slippery streams. With that said, I won't be buying anymore felt soled boots. What rubber soles lack in pure grip, they add in versatility. They are better for rock hopping, climbing up banks, snow, and trail walking. Add studs to rubber soles, and you are approaching studded felt grip....IMHO. They are also a bit more ecologically friendly. We now have to worry about destructive, invasive species like snails, and slime(didymo). http://www.fish.state.pa.us/water/habit ... didymo.htm I look at soles, like i do barbless hooks. If there's a small % I will cause less harm with barbless, or rubber soles, i'll take it. I may bust my tailbone, or lose a fish of a lifetime, but whatever........ :lol: :lol:

Hands down....IMHO, stockingfoot, breathable waders.

briansII
briansII

Postby tomsakai » December 9th, 2009, 6:04 pm

Curt, BTW, this is definitely the time to buy waders or boots. Lots of deals out there, check Marriott's website (deal section) for their deals. If you go with the new vibram boots, deals on those boots will probably be tough to find since they're so new.
tomsakai

Postby stanbery » December 10th, 2009, 3:39 am

Curt

Check this link out for a good deal on waders. On sale for $69.99, normal price is $180.00
FREE SHIPPING RIGHT NOW
http://www.albrightflyfish.com/waders-boots/trinity-waders.html

I still use felt sole.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby darrin terry » December 10th, 2009, 10:07 am

I've not used the waders myself. For a Christmas gift last year, I bought a set of them for a buddy. He does not fish anywhere close to as much as myself, so they've worked fine for him so far. On the other hand, Matt (Cheap Stuff) bought a pair at about the same time. He fishes at least as much as I do, likely a bit more. After about 3 months his started leaking. I believe near the knee seams or maybe near the calf/ankle area. He said he'd worn them3-4 days a week in that time, and had been doing a lot of exploring and fishing - 3-4 miles of bushwhacking along the local. Still, he said for the money he thought he'd got a good value. He still has them and has recently patched them.

I've had very few problems with my waders from Cabela's. But, they've stopped making the ones I have.

Like Craig said, try and get hands on with anything you are thinking about buying. If you can.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby briansII » December 10th, 2009, 10:41 am

Just bought a pair of the Albrights. I have not used them yet. They do fit really well, and _seem_ to be a lot of wader for the money. Time will tell.

ALL of my waders have leaked at one point or another. It's just part of the game. My favorite pair has over 30-40 spots of Aquaseal. They are leaking again, so it's time to find that tube of Aquaseal again.

briansII
briansII

Postby Papasequoia » December 10th, 2009, 10:50 am

Waders are for wimps. This is California; you should all be wet-wading! :bananadance:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing