REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Streamer Junkie

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Streamer Junkie

Postby stanbery » November 21st, 2009, 8:32 am

2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Re: Streamer Junkie

Postby midger » November 21st, 2009, 9:18 am

Good short story. Lots of truth to it also, and it's a lot like steelhead/salmon fishermen.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby RichardCullip » November 21st, 2009, 9:42 am

Good writing there. I loved the His box of flies looks like a truck hit the Muppet band phrase.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby beachbum » November 21st, 2009, 9:58 am

Good article! I spent the 70's living in Colorado, throwing streamers on some of the best brown waters in the USA. Somehow over the years I aquired the love of fishing dry flies, to rising fish. Fishing this week, I hooked a big brown, on a conehead spuddler pattern, and was reminded of why I love to fish streamers.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby rkfiske » November 21st, 2009, 10:47 am

RichardCullip wrote:Good writing there. I loved the His box of flies looks like a truck hit the Muppet band phrase.

Agreed! That totally got me laughing. I always think my streamer box looks pretty strange and that pretty much summed up what I think they look like!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby meb » November 21st, 2009, 11:38 am

That's funny. I have a few newly tied streamers on my bench, so this caught my attention. I spend almost all of my fishing time with streamers or dry flies.

Mark
meb

Postby STMFlyGuide » November 21st, 2009, 1:45 pm

Oh Ya :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: That writer sure knows the addiction!! :bananadance: :rockon: :bananadance: :mrgreen: .....

Like I say........ The Tug IS the Drug!!
Mammoth Lakes Fly Fishing Guide and Fly Shop in Bishop Ca

http://www.sierratroutmagnet.com
STMFlyGuide

Postby KRoberts1 » November 21st, 2009, 4:05 pm

Love it. I've often wondered why its an awful long walk back to the truck. When you get into that "zone", that "high" YA JUST CAN'T STOP". That next drop off, ox-bow bend, tail-out sure is calling out. CAst, strip, move, cast, strip move. It becomes a cadence, a rhythum, a heart beat. Its life at its best.
KRoberts1

Postby flybob » November 21st, 2009, 6:03 pm

Hey Jon, I have yet to master the streamers, fact is I don't use them much, and the real irony is that my very first wild trout ever, was caught on a black wooley bugger loaned to me by 1mocast, darn thing shot out from under a rock and slammed it!

I have never caught another fish on a bugger since, that was 4 years ago last month!

But addictions are addictions, and we all have our faves!
Definitey appropriate!
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby castaway » November 21st, 2009, 6:25 pm

Although I have had little success with streamers on larger waters... one of my new found addictions is tossing small streamers into plunge pools of the little creeks.

toss em into the turbulant water at the base of the plunge... two quick strips... imitating a fish escaping the froth... and bammmmmm

I think the big creek boys sit and watch for a stunned little piece of food to dart out of the plunges... very addicting.

tossing small streamers with an ultralight rod... mmmmmmmm good times.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby Eric » November 21st, 2009, 6:37 pm

That is so you Jon!!!!
Eric
Eric

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » November 22nd, 2009, 2:45 am

Jon, I didn't realize you had a magaznine writer with you the last time you hit up the East side :D :D

I spent a lot of time the past 2 years trying to get used to fishing streamers and learning a lot about them, they're my favorite when there isn't a hatch with rising fish all over the place. When you feel that tug, well David said it best earlier.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby Jim T » November 22nd, 2009, 10:39 pm

Jon,

I'm not quite there yet but I can tell I'm on my way.

Let me know if you find any weekly meetings where this is discussed.

Jim
Jim T

Postby briansII » November 23rd, 2009, 11:16 am

Brotherhood of 3X Long 2X Strong. :rockon: To be a member, swinging and stripping is mandatory. :o Our Creed. You can have my 2X leader when you pry it from my cold, dead hand. 8-)

briansII
briansII

Postby fly addict » November 23rd, 2009, 1:42 pm

Jon,

That is so you. As you know I don’t even have one streamer, :o Let alone a box full of them. If they won’t eat a dry fly, it’s their loss. :roll: :lol:

Thanks for the check.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Return to General Fly Fishing