REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Large Arbor Reels...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Large Arbor Reels...

Postby STMFlyGuide » August 29th, 2008, 10:50 am

Talking about reels, I have only mid and large arbors in width and diameter..Since the large arbor was finally introduced I have been a fan. I am on the move quickly and I appreciate the line pickup speed a large arbor offers, not to mention fish fighting capability. My dad and I had some old Hardy multiplying reels at one time with 2:1 and 3:1 crank ratios..those things could really pick up some line..

But now the large arbors rule the scene.. Some the largest and lightest large arbors for 3-6wt rods I can find are:

The largest diameter reel I can find is the LOOP OPTi...!! V-shaped spool, very slick reel...some of the spool diameters are almost 5"

http://www.pikefly.com/loo_opti.htm

The elkhorn MA series is not far behind..especially when considering price and weight..I own a couple of these..

http://www.elkhornflyrods.com/reels/ma.cfm

Also the ULA force is one sweet reel, but with a smaller overall diameter..but very light.

http://www.waterworks-lamson.com/force.html

Here is the company Scierra from Denmark...The drag system on this reel caught my eye.

http://www.scierra.com/?product=261

Anybody else know of any great, unique, or have any favorite large arbors? There are a lot of european reels out there as well...
Mammoth Lakes Fly Fishing Guide and Fly Shop in Bishop Ca

http://www.sierratroutmagnet.com
STMFlyGuide

Re: Large Arbor Reels...

Postby stlhdr » August 29th, 2008, 11:00 am

this is slightly off topic, but...I won a Scierra Ferox model 3 wt in a raffle last year and the quality and workmanship are excellent. I would give their reels a look...-Mike
stlhdr

Postby Rollincast » August 29th, 2008, 11:05 am

Hey David,

All sweet reels for sure.....but you didn't mention the "COBRA" Multiplier. :D :D With the xtra gears and spools it comes with you can get alot of milage for a good price. Fun Carpin reel. Also the older Martin M-72 multiplier disc drag, old school that still kicks butt. 8-) 8-) Thanks for the links. Very nice.
Always looking for brownie points
Rollincast

Postby STMFlyGuide » August 29th, 2008, 11:10 am

Thats right Randy! I forgot to mention the cobra large arbors multipliers we got for carpin'!! What were they $70? I can't find them on Ebay anymore....Carp shredded mine.... And yours?
Mammoth Lakes Fly Fishing Guide and Fly Shop in Bishop Ca

http://www.sierratroutmagnet.com
STMFlyGuide

Postby Rollincast » August 29th, 2008, 11:16 am

First set of gears....wasted. Second set still going strong. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I havn't seen them on e-bay for awhile. You can pick-up the Martin M-72 for about the same price. It is a TANK, serious drag and all metel construction. Just a little on the heavy side.
Always looking for brownie points
Rollincast

Postby RubiKinda » August 29th, 2008, 12:16 pm

Anyone ever had any crazy design ideas for a reel? I'm starting to do some prototyping of reels with the first one being an ultralight titanium to be paired with a new 00 wt. I need a creative mind to make it look right as I have pretty much nailed down the mechanical side of it. I made a replica of an aluminum Orvis Mach reel in titanium and was able to chop almost 40% of the weight from it by making thinner walls as the titanium is much stronger than the aluminum. I'm not planning to go into business with this, just had some free time at the shop to play around and have fun.
RubiKinda

Postby anacrime » August 29th, 2008, 2:32 pm

If I could afford it I'd have all Loop reels.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby dna » August 29th, 2008, 4:19 pm

I have the Sage 3100 for my 00 and a Waterworks Purist for my Winston 8'6" BIIt 4wt. 3100 is a great reel matches the 00 well. The fast pickup and light weight is really nice on such a combo.

The Purist is beautiful on my BIIt as that rod only weighs 2.5 oz. The Purist completes the package making what is probably one of the lightest, sweetest casting 4 wt combos around. The Purist is a dainty reel, though. It is made of titanium and aluminum and has incredibly tight tolerances. I have had to send mine in as it is seizing during the heat!? Who knows what will happen, but Waterworks has been great thus far.

Another reel that sparks my interest is the Hardy Marksman. I want!
dna

Postby dna » August 29th, 2008, 4:23 pm

RubiKinda wrote:Anyone ever had any crazy design ideas for a reel? I'm starting to do some prototyping of reels with the first one being an ultralight titanium to be paired with a new 00 wt. I need a creative mind to make it look right as I have pretty much nailed down the mechanical side of it. I made a replica of an aluminum Orvis Mach reel in titanium and was able to chop almost 40% of the weight from it by making thinner walls as the titanium is much stronger than the aluminum. I'm not planning to go into business with this, just had some free time at the shop to play around and have fun.

Are you kidding me!! You should go into business. I know I would be interested in all titanium reels for my rods!
dna

Postby RubiKinda » August 29th, 2008, 4:35 pm

Problem is it takes about 10 times the machining time to cut titanium than aluminum and although the material I'm using was a "donation" from my boss, it would be around $150 to buy. It's super corrosion resitant too. I'll start posting pics next week when I get into the new one. I need feedback on the style factor too.
RubiKinda

Postby KRoberts1 » August 29th, 2008, 9:32 pm

I like the looks of the Loop reels, but at 456 euro's ($670), that kinda outta my league. I'll stick with my Teton LA's, thank you. Nice thing about the Teton's, the regular arbors and the LA's fit the same frame.

keith
KRoberts1

Postby stanbery » August 30th, 2008, 6:19 am

I got a Albright GPX about 6 months ago and it is awesome.
Fast line pickup and a very good drag for bigger fish
Normally 200 on sale right now for 97 and change
http://www.albrighttackle.com/index.html

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby midger » August 30th, 2008, 6:34 pm

Jon,
Those are some great prices. Even the rods are at 50% off and you can get a 4 or 5 piece rod for a great price. I don't need any rods, but if I were looking, I'd sure consider them.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby RiverRat » August 31st, 2008, 6:49 am

Can we add large arbor reels that suck on this post?

I bought a Corland Endurance LA for my Sage Bass rod and it's horrible. The drag is either all the way on or off. The lack of adjustment causes the line to come off in wads and bunch up when you reel it in. Soon to be on Ebay.

RiverRat
RiverRat

Postby RubiKinda » August 31st, 2008, 9:20 pm

I will 2nd that the cortland sucks! I was going to sell it too, but decided to chop it up for research. So it still died a hero.
RubiKinda

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing