REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Traveling through Dakota's...Where to fish?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Traveling through Dakota's...Where to fish?

Postby Shequila » August 12th, 2009, 6:40 am

Driving through all on Minnesota, the Dakota's & to Western Montana.
Anywhere I should be stopping to fish on the way?
Shequila

Re: Traveling through Dakota's...Where to fish?

Postby Flyjunkie » August 12th, 2009, 6:45 am

From what I've heard over the years, the BLACK HILLS in South Dakota has Trout streams available..... I'm sure there are Bass and Bluegill in all the Reservoirs in those states..
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby rkfiske » August 12th, 2009, 7:03 am

I've driven through the black hills... if that stretch of land doesn't have fishable water then I am at a loss for words. It's worth just going up there to check out anyways, it's absolutely gorgeous. I remember my first trip through there when I was about maybe 9 years old and even at that age I was in complete awe.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby FFFF » August 12th, 2009, 8:22 am

Shequila.....what part of Montana are you going to? PM me for a couple of tips.......FFFF
FFFF

Postby NorcalBob » August 12th, 2009, 9:05 am

AHHHHHHH, memories!!!!! :bananadance:
My first USNPS ranger assignment was to Jewel Cave National Monument in the Black Hills!!!! But that was over 30 years ago!!!! ;)
Surprisingly, the fishing is not all that good in the Black Hills because it's a very dry environment. Fishing is dominated by lake/reservoir fishing with only a few streams worth fishing. Rapid Creek and Spearfish Creek being two of the best. Most of the streams rely heavily on hatchery planting, but some of the larger streams have hold over populations that can have good sized fish, notably brown trout. Considering you're traveling to the "promised land" (Montana) I'm not sure I'd spend any valuable fishing time in the Black Hills! That being said, our ranger staff had a gourmet cook (Yummmmm, trout almondine) and if I didn't bring back a limit of fish every time I was banished from "Jack Daniels Night"! Since we were all poor GS-4's rangers it was my "job" to keep the staff supplied with fish on my days off since we couldn't afford good food since we were blowing it all on booze. And I never got banished from "Jack Night"!!!! :rockon:
HMMMM, I wonder if the "Triple T Lounge & Cafe" still exists in Custer???? :twisted:
You probably know about all the famous MT waters (including YNP) so I won't repeat them! :gun:
NorcalBob

Postby Shequila » August 12th, 2009, 11:09 am

Right on guys!
since I won't be traveling through SD at all, just ND I believe the concensus is to crank some Thorogood and just keep on driving to the promise land.
I will be on the Clark Fork for the next three to four months so if anyone is in the area but sure to stop by!
Shequila

Postby McFlyfi » August 12th, 2009, 2:09 pm

Shequila wrote:Right on guys!
I believe the concensus is to crank some Thorogood and just keep on driving to the promise land.

"Gonna wake up inthe mornin' and hit that Highway 49..."

Just don't hit the Bourbon, Scotch and Beer until you get there!
McFlyfi

Postby Sheriff Joe » August 12th, 2009, 3:10 pm

I spent a nice afternoon on Castle Creek in the Black Hills 7 or 8 years ago. I remember a nice meadow, dry grass, cloudy water and small trout. It didn't suck.

Bob-that's cool that you were a ranger at Jewel Cave. I've taken the tour and I really liked that place. Black Hills/Badlands is a really quirky cool part of the country.
Slap a cold trout on it!
Sheriff Joe

Postby Shequila » August 12th, 2009, 4:23 pm

NorcalBob wrote:AHHHHHHH, memories!!!!! :bananadance:
My first USNPS ranger assignment was to Jewel Cave National Monument in the Black Hills!!!! But that was over 30 years ago!!!! ;)
Surprisingly, the fishing is not all that good in the Black Hills because it's a very dry environment. Fishing is dominated by lake/reservoir fishing with only a few streams worth fishing. Rapid Creek and Spearfish Creek being two of the best. Most of the streams rely heavily on hatchery planting, but some of the larger streams have hold over populations that can have good sized fish, notably brown trout. Considering you're traveling to the "promised land" (Montana) I'm not sure I'd spend any valuable fishing time in the Black Hills! That being said, our ranger staff had a gourmet cook (Yummmmm, trout almondine) and if I didn't bring back a limit of fish every time I was banished from "Jack Daniels Night"! Since we were all poor GS-4's rangers it was my "job" to keep the staff supplied with fish on my days off since we couldn't afford good food since we were blowing it all on booze. And I never got banished from "Jack Night"!!!! :rockon:
HMMMM, I wonder if the "Triple T Lounge & Cafe" still exists in Custer???? :twisted:
You probably know about all the famous MT waters (including YNP) so I won't repeat them! :gun:

Ummm...that sounds like an awesome job, I think I've had a similar job before! I miss it!
Shequila

Postby STMFlyGuide » August 12th, 2009, 10:07 pm

Have fun at my lodge Shequila... Dont forget where the St Regis hits the big river... remember to take my good old Dad with a grain of salt........ We will be in touch... If you are taking I 90 I can tell you so many places to fish you will never arrive in St Regis.....
Mammoth Lakes Fly Fishing Guide and Fly Shop in Bishop Ca

http://www.sierratroutmagnet.com
STMFlyGuide

Postby Shequila » August 13th, 2009, 7:00 am

TheFlyGuide wrote:Have fun at my lodge Shequila... Dont forget where the St Regis hits the big river... remember to take my good old Dad with a grain of salt........ We will be in touch... If you are taking I 90 I can tell you so many places to fish you will never arrive in St Regis.....

Apparently you know me all too well already! I did bring my backpacking stuff just in case....Yeah I am taking I90 but better get on in to St Regis as PJ will be gone on Saturday and he will need someone there. Apparently I am cooking for a few days for clients as well while PJ is gone, did you tell your dad I can cook?
first things first, sanding & re-finishing boats!

Talk to you soon!
Shequila

Return to General Fly Fishing