REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

New Wright and McGill report

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

New Wright and McGill report

Postby fflutterffly » August 22nd, 2008, 1:43 pm

The maiden voyage of my 6-wt Wright and McGill took place at 6:15AM at Playa Del Rey. My report is as follows.
As no fish were caught because I forgot my license, I decided to practice my casting. I'm just a beginner at all this and it shows in my review. So..... some of the terms I’ve made up, but you get the idea.

Butt Cap: The Cap is finished well with attention to detail. I don’t know the correct wording, but the knurling along the edges gives the end a nice clean look. A nice touch would have been if the little circle held the W/G within, but that’s just me. (Picky)
Reel Seat: The reel seat guide looks well machined and threads clean. The thread collar is cutout and seated within a beautiful Rosewood shaft, rather then pushed over the wood.
Seat locking ring and lock collar: the seating lock seems to have greater then needed tolerances for the tread, but there must be a reason for that. the lock collar is simple and eloquent.
The wood Reel seat: Everything is so clean and smooth. Beveled out to take the reel, the lacquer job is impeccable giving the wood a deep Ferrari 24 coat look. Nice job.

Handle:
Cork: They call it Custom Cigar, I call it comfortable. The butt end of the cork is again adorned with an integrated metal collar where the reel foot fits. It too is knurled and understated. I could really feel the rod with this slim handle and would love to have one on my Sage XP. I believe the cork is Portuguese, a touch of some other dark colored cork in contrast.

Now to the rod:
The website says it like this:

1 Our 5-piece design travels easily and the high-performance, internal ferrules will maximize the power generated through each of the custom designed sections.
2 We use only Fuji SiC Stripping Guides for the highest possible line speeds and lifetime durability.
3 To keep these rods extremely light and to enhance line speed, we use only titanium snake foot guides.

It also comes with a handcrafted hard case that matches the color of the shaft. (As well as a sock)

The rod is made to look rich and finished, which it does, while delivering an effortless cast. It is said that the rods cast as if they are one weight up and I believe it. The action is all in the tip so forcing this tool is a waste of energy since it has excellent loading. I was able to cast about 50 feet my first time out using an Orvis Wonderline DC 250 line. I had to get use to the feel of the loading, but after a few cast it became second nature.

All in all... this is a very nice rod and one I’d like to say will serve me for both salt and steelhead. I’d really be interested in trying out the 4-wt 8’6”
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Re: New Wright and McGill report

Postby fflutterffly » August 22nd, 2008, 4:21 pm

Thanks for reminding me.

The reel is a Wright and McGill Dragonfly. Smooth with a very nice drag system controlled by the turn of a large easy to handle knob. I just might have to get one of these in a small size also. Yummmmmm
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Re: New Wright and McGill report

Postby KRoberts1 » August 22nd, 2008, 9:50 pm

ariel,

Am I reading this right, 50 yards off the bat? great timing.

keith
KRoberts1

Return to General Fly Fishing