REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The Backpacking Angler

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

The Backpacking Angler

Postby rkfiske » June 8th, 2009, 10:40 pm

So, I've recently taken a dive into backpacking and have hit somewhat of a problem. I have a fanny pack that I pack with me for backpacking trips but it seems to take up a little more room in my pack than what I would prefer. Do any of you guys who backpack into remote places have any comments or suggestions on what you guys bring in with you? I'm trying to lighten my load and simplify what I bring in with me. I'd love to hear what you guys take with you!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Re: The Backpacking Angler

Postby Sheriff Joe » June 8th, 2009, 10:49 pm

I'd recommend going as light as possible. I usually take a few (3-4) spools of tippet, a small fly box, gink and a leatherman. I can fit all these in my shorts pockets, or a fleece if its colder. And a camera in my other pocket. I know it's a stretch to leave some things at home, and I usually take a quart ziploc filled with other things I might need at some point in the trip (splitshot, extra leaders, streamers). Mike and some other guys like the lanyard to cut down on pocket use. I'd cut out the fanny pack. Remember, you have to carry whatever extra crap you bring. And, 99% of backcountry fish will take any fly you put in the right spot and aren't picky at all. I could seriously catch almost any high sierra fish with either an EHC, a hopper, a parachute adams or a small wooly bugger. GO light; it's liberating to have exactly what you need to be successful catching trout, and not any more or less....

Joe

PS- Shane and I are starting the JMT on July 1, so I can pm you my complete gear/fishing list if you'd like.
Slap a cold trout on it!
Sheriff Joe

Postby rayfound » June 8th, 2009, 10:53 pm

I just pack my mesh fishing vest. its light, carries all sorts of stuff, and packs super easy. (like a T-shirt)

I know vests aren't like the cool-kid "in" thing in flyfishing anymore... but I still really like the functionality of them.

I don't know what all you pack in, but I always find I brought more clothes and food than I needed... For my upcoming trip (2 nights), i'm packin' around 25 lbs including food and everything... but my problem seems to be volume (I'm using a REI Cruise UL 60 - 3661 cu in capacity) , not weight... so if your weight is OK, maybe you could just clip your fanny pack to the outside of the pack somehow and not worry about it. I mean, why does it have to be "In" your pack at all?

Unlike Joe, I have a hard time leaving fishing stuff at home. I mean, everything he says is right... its just that I'm not going to have the willpower to leave stuff that can catch fish.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby anacrime » June 8th, 2009, 11:20 pm

i'm a pocket angler like the sheriff. packing light is about packing smart. pack what you think you'll most likely need, leave the rest. more often then not you're in good shape. if you plan for every possible situation you'll end up with a 25lb weekend pack :lol: :lol: just kidding yo

i was just thinking the other day about those old (typically neon (rad)) fanny packs from the 80's and early 90's. i remember they were super light (like sub 4oz) and might make a good backpacking item. something similar would be quite simple to make with a bit of silnylon and straps. just enough to hold the essentials and a bar or something.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Gary C. » June 9th, 2009, 6:45 am

I carry a clip-on retractor with my forceps and nippers, 2-3 spools of tippet, 2 extra leaders, floatant, splitshot, strike indicators, it all fits in one pocket. I carry a large flybox that fits in a cargo pocket of my convertable pants. If I'm going to be making a long day hike to a nearby lake or somplace the top of my pack can be taken off and used as a lumbar pack for things like a shell jacket and snacks.
Gary C.
Gary C.

Postby rkfiske » June 9th, 2009, 7:23 am

Thanks guys all your comments were pretty insightful. I have a tough time leaving the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink mentality behind but I might have to try fishing with a couple of stuffed pockets.

Joe - I would be very interested in your pack list for the muir trail. I always like to see what more experienced guys are carrying.

Ray - Though fishing vests may not be en vogue anymore, I still like the way they look and how they function, they've just gotten a bit too hot for me and a bit on the bulky side. I still love my otter creek vest from orvis, that thing has awesome pockets all over it! Bulk is an issue for me as well with a 65L pack. It's probably plenty big for me, I just need to figure out ways to make a little more room is all. And more organization would help tremendously I think.

Shane - I was thinking about a small little fanny pack just like you were mentioning, I might have to look into that. Your comment about a weekend 25lb pack made me a bit sad cuz I do tend to haul probably close to that for an overnighter. I haven't weighed my pack though so maybe I'm nowhere near that and I just feel like I am.

Thanks for the input guys!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby rayfound » June 9th, 2009, 9:17 am

Hey, I'm thrilled with a 25lb pack. That's UL for me!

Previously, for a 6-7 day trip, I've never been under about 42-43 lbs... this year with the changes I made, I think I would still be under 30lbs for a week long trip.... that's pretty great to me, and I still have a few major areas to shave weight. My sleeping bag and tent (my weight included the poles and stakes, my hiking partner will carry the body) could both stand to be a lot lighter (and more compact)... so maybe next year I'll be even better.

There's lots of ways to save more weight too... but its always a tradeoff between comfort/luxuries and pack weight. I use a full length thermarest, a 3/4 or a simple foam pad would be quite a bit lighter. I carry a LOT of fishing gear (as discussed), less would save a lot of weight, I carry a jetboil (which saved a ton of weight from my old big-ole propane stove with pans and fuel cans and such), but I could be lighter using a tuna-can stove like shane. I could pack less extra clothes, a lighter jacket, etc, etc, etc... But I'm really quite happy with my new pack weight.

Ryan, don't worry about getting too caught up with how others do it, or comparing your pack weights... I think 25lbs is fine for an overnighter, but Shane is more of a minimalist (I think), and that seems excessive to him. If you're comfortable carrying it, and you're comfortable at camp, your pack weight is good.

I do think the new internal frame packs leave a little to be desired though... I mean they are great... but they are a * of a lot harder to attach things to the outside of than the external frame packs are. This will be my first time with an internal pack... and packing it is was harder. (Though, like you Ryan, I'm a small pack (60L)... I'm sure the big packs are easier)
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby John Harper » June 9th, 2009, 10:11 am

I got the backpacking bug last year after a trip to the KR carrying about 25lb. using a pack I bought in high school (1974) and a heavy synthetic bag. That was still a lot of weight, so I now have it down to:

Pack: 1lb 5oz (GoLite Jam2)
Bag: 1lb 7oz (30 degree rated, 800 down, Lafuma brand)
Pad: 2lb (could even go lighter, thermarest std length)
Tarp: 8oz (6 x 8' tyvek)

5lb 4oz before clothes,food, stove/fuel/pot, tent which I split the weight with a partner. Fishing gear would be minimal as per the other comments. Hoppers, adams, gnats, mosquitos all would work well in the backcountry Sierra.

I keep my heavy synthetic bag for car camping, probably use it a HM in a couple weeks, the lighter bag is fine for the KR elevations and later season ES.

John
John Harper

Postby Benny » June 9th, 2009, 10:57 am

Hey Ryan, this site has some really great advise on going lite.
Backpacking.net
Benny

Postby BirdDog » June 9th, 2009, 2:38 pm

I agree with the Sherffif. Go light. High Sierra trout are not picky...you arent really matching hatches. I take one of those bright green meiho fly boxes that so easily fits into a pocket, my hemos attached to my shirt, and a few leaders/spools of tippet. I do tend to take more stuff when it is a fishing directed backcountry trip, where I may be hiking into a base camp and fishing a few days.

I am planning a huge trip where I am hiking in Waders, wading boots, vest, net, you name it.....33 miles to a basecamp.

If you are backpacking...moving 10-15 mile/day....it all about leaving everything at home.
FISH BIG BUSHY DRIES!!!!
BirdDog

Postby anacrime » June 9th, 2009, 2:40 pm

"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Papasequoia » June 9th, 2009, 2:42 pm

If your backpack has a detachable top pocket, consider using that as your fanny pack if you just don't think you can stuff all of your gear into shirt pockets. Also, don't forget the "10 essentials" (you can probably google it and get lists with 15-20 items instead of 10, here's a good one: http://www.backpacking.net/ten-essl.html). Now that I am, ahem, a bit older and have a wife and kids, I take my safety a bit more seriously. I don't hike 10 yards from camp without at least a few of the essentials in addition to fishing gear. One of these days, I swear, I am going to come up with a single flybox for backpacking. Joe is right, most of the time in most conditions you can catch backcountry fish on a relatively small selection of flies.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby AddictedtotheFLY » June 9th, 2009, 3:27 pm

too many answers for me to read!!! in case this hasn't been suggested....here is what i do:

I have a Camel Pack...one of the original ones...it only has the bladder, and 2 small pockets....i strap this on the side of my backpack...obviously i use it for water storage/drinking while hiking...and then i can un-hook it and use it as a "backpack" for my fishing gear.....i usually oly bring tippet, flybox, gink, and nippers......i never use weights when i am fishing small creeks in the backcountry anyways

this method i use works great...i have used in many times......really no extra weight
A bad day of fishin' beats a good day at work!!
AddictedtotheFLY

Postby Ol' Bedford » June 9th, 2009, 4:04 pm

rkfiske wrote:So, I've recently taken a dive into backpacking and have hit somewhat of a problem. I have a fanny pack that I pack with me for backpacking trips but it seems to take up a little more room in my pack than what I would prefer. Do any of you guys who backpack into remote places have any comments or suggestions on what you guys bring in with you? I'm trying to lighten my load and simplify what I bring in with me. I'd love to hear what you guys take with you!

My general suggestion is that you should go to your most conveniently located REI or other outdoor store & buy a good book on backpacking with helpful chapters on how to pack. There are several good books available. Also, depending on the store I would bring in your pack & ask the salespeople for advice on how to pack it.

More specifically, I would say the answer to your question depends on the type of pack you have. Is it an "expedition" size pack or smaller? The smaller the pack, the more judicious you have to be about what to carry.

I have an Osprey 4500 cu.in. internal-frame pack that accommodates me well. The must haves are a bear canister; clothes (including a zipper-legged pair of lightweight pants; tent; lightweight down sleeping bag, portable stove w/fuel & utensils; sleeping pad; a couple of small bags for toothbrush, etc.; 4-pc. pack fishing rod & reel, and tackle; lightweight waders & boots. For food I bring nothing that will not fit in the canister, for water I have a plastic bottle with a filtered top. Overall, the most weight I will carry is about 35lbs. The rod and sleeping pad are attached to the outside of the pack.
Ol' Bedford

Postby anacrime » June 9th, 2009, 4:07 pm

REI does have the backpacking lite book. HIGHLY recommend. it's seriously like learning a science
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing