REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Backcountry books

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Backcountry books

Postby rkfiske » May 6th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Hey guys, I am looking to start heading out into the deep wilderness for some good trout fishing. Does anyone have any good book recommendations for good trails to check out and difficulty ratings and the like? I saw a backpacking the golden trout wilderness book that looked good but I wanted to know if any of you had some personal suggestions before I shell out money on a regretful purchase. Also wouldn't mind finding any like minded guys to head out with some time.

- Ryan
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Re: Backcountry books

Postby Autodave » May 6th, 2009, 5:50 pm

Hiking the GTW by Suzanne Sweedo is a great book,along with a Tom Harrison GTW map,can't go wrong.
Autodave

Postby rkfiske » May 7th, 2009, 11:24 am

Autodave wrote:Hiking the GTW by Suzanne Sweedo is a great book,along with a Tom Harrison GTW map,can't go wrong.

Ah yes, that is the book I was talking about. Good to know it's worthwhile. I'm up for books on any sierra locations if anyone has some other good books or resources. I've been checking out Steven Ojai's site now trying to figure out a good starter weekend trip.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby Wildman » May 7th, 2009, 12:21 pm

Try Fishing The John Muir Trail by Beck. Here is a link. http://www.amazon.com/Trout-Fishing-John-Muir-Trail/dp/1571881883 I have it and it is very informative and gives lots of useful information about the fishing.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Flyjunkie » May 10th, 2009, 8:52 am

If you can get your hands on them...: The 2 Books by Charles McDermand from the 1940's... "Waters of the Golden Trout Country" and "Waters of the Kings and Yosemite National Parks"(?)... Nice History pieces and One wishes there was still as few Folks in the Back Country nowadays as back in Mr. McDermand's days (like not seeing anyone for afew weeks at a time). I own both Books and re-read them about once a year....

Cutter's "Sierra Trout Guide" is a must read, not specific Locations, but a bunch of Basic Information that will allow one to decide on where to go...

The Two volume Southern Sierra guides by JENKINS is a Great reference for all of the Kern Drainage and the Tule as well......

Yeah, a Tom Harrison Map for the area you plan to visit is a Must Have... ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby rkfiske » May 10th, 2009, 11:00 am

Thanks Dean & Wildman!
I think that gives me a good head start for reading material. Tom Harrison maps are great aren't they? I just wish they were a little less than 9 bucks a pop. They are really durable though so maybe I shouldn't complain haha.
rkfiske

Postby Alpine Angler » June 3rd, 2009, 9:07 am

I have a question about Suzanne Sweedo's book " Hiking the GTW". From glancing at her book it seems to have lots of good info regarding the actual hikes. But does it tell whether there are trout in the waters the hikes will take you to. I hike to get to good fishing sites. I'd hate to hike to some lake, river or creek in the book just to find out it doesn't hold trout. From the little I was able to check out the book I didn't see any mention of fish or fishing.

Joe
Alpine Angler

Postby Ol' Bedford » June 4th, 2009, 4:23 pm

That's because the book is one of a series of trail guides published by Falcon Press - their primary target audience is hikers, not anglers.

Alpine Angler wrote:I have a question about Suzanne Sweedo's book " Hiking the GTW". From glancing at her book it seems to have lots of good info regarding the actual hikes. But does it tell whether there are trout in the waters the hikes will take you to. I hike to get to good fishing sites. I'd hate to hike to some lake, river or creek in the book just to find out it doesn't hold trout. From the little I was able to check out the book I didn't see any mention of fish or fishing.

Joe
Ol' Bedford

Return to General Fly Fishing