REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Is FFA Dead?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Is FFA Dead?

Postby NorcalBob » December 9th, 2022, 11:00 am

I did a couple posts yesterday with pixs and the "banned" issue did not arise on either. Worked as normal. Hopefully, that continues.
Wildman wrote:The "Banning" issue should be corrected.
NorcalBob

Postby Dry Fly Rie » December 11th, 2022, 9:11 pm

I, too, was unable to post for a long time, although I haven't actually been doing much fly-fishing of late. I have a couple of reports from the Summer that I'll add (I already put up a trip report from Park City back in July).

I miss the excitement and enjoyment of opening the FFA board and seeing new trip reports and pictures. I understand as well as anyone the difficulty of getting time on the water while balancing family, work, and other interests. With that being said, I would love to see this forum come back to life with the stories and pictures of everyone's adventures.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby FIGHTONSC » December 12th, 2022, 5:48 pm

NorcalBob wrote:I did a couple posts yesterday with pixs and the "banned" issue did not arise on either. Worked as normal. Hopefully, that continues.
Wildman wrote:The "Banning" issue should be corrected.

Glad to see things back to normal.

Too much snow and too cold to fish for a while. Midger and I will hit the South Fork as soon as things warm up a bit.

Tight lines,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby WanderingBlues » December 12th, 2022, 8:14 pm

Sadly, the obituary would read “Facebook and Instagram killed a good report.”
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby FIGHTONSC » December 13th, 2022, 8:25 am

WanderingBlues wrote:Sadly, the obituary would read “Facebook and Instagram killed a good report.”

Curtis,

Long time, no hear.

Hope you and Mrs. Blues are doing well.

Merry Christmas from Kansas,

Jeff & Helen
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby 1mocast » December 14th, 2022, 9:58 pm

With work going crazy the last couple of years, the lack of water, and raging fires, fishing has been zilch for me.

I have made some amazing friendships over the years on this site and hope to fish with some of you again.

I hope to have more time on the water in the future. And I hope this site doesn't disappear.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby DarkShadow » December 16th, 2022, 4:22 pm

Someone asked me what my biggest fly fishing memory was in 2022.

I had to think about it for quite a while, and then dig into my photo roll to see if I even fly fished this year. In fact, I can count the number of times I went to the Sierra this year, and it was ONCE.

We camped up along Robinson Creek in early July and while the conditions were amazing, the fishing was very not, from what I'm accustomed to.

I found a nice hole in the middle of no where on Robinson where I made my first cast and hooked this gargantuan trout that obviously was a brood stock or one of the special 'private' stocks that may have gone in. It shook it's head a few times and threw my fly after attempting to 'jump,' but when you're an obese 5 or 6 pounds, it's more of a belly flop than a jump. That was certainly a * moment as I've never run into fish that size in our small creeks in the Sierras.

I spent a few more days coming back to that same hole after spending the day in other locations, and caught some other specimens, but not as big, but even up to 15 inches, but nothing 'wild.' All these were stockers and I could not see one sign of any wild fish, not at our campsite close to Twin Lakes, nor in sections of Robinson that I fished through.

One of those days of the week long trip, I took off to Kennedy Meadows (North) thanks to some advice from some of the guys here. The drive was amazing, the scenery even more beautiful and the stretch of the MF Stani was gorgeous. When I arrived, I opened my fly bag to see that I had left EVERY single fly box back at the campsite at Twin Lakes. I had to literally dig through the nooks and crannies of my truck to find flies that I've cut off and thrown in there, and bought a dozen or so generic patterns from the store there. Regardless, it was a fun day with several beautiful wild fish. I fished the MF pretty quickly and was back to my truck in no time, and I found a pod of wily stockers to end that session with.

25 minutes later, I'm hitting the Clark's Fork, which again provided some good moving water. While I did get a few small wild fish to go, I was also able to fish some pools were some freshly stocked fish greeted me with open mouths.

But aside from that trip, I haven't really busted out my fly rod much. Work has me completely busy, so I think staying closer to home and wacking the bass on conventional gear has been keeping me occupied. I'll take the fly rods out to the local pond once in a while, but there hasn't been any type of focused fly fishing trip in a while.
DarkShadow

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing