REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Is FFA Dead?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Is FFA Dead?

Postby clee » December 1st, 2022, 4:24 pm

Sweet fish bobby!!!
clee

Postby lucfish » December 2nd, 2022, 8:46 am

Got a hold of Jim Wilkens and he's going to try and get a hold of Craig to see if they can fix the bugs so we can easily post pics.
lucfish

Postby Wildman » December 2nd, 2022, 8:54 am

Jim Wilkins here-Wildman.

There are some issues with the forum. Since Jon had his stroke, I have had no way to troubleshoot the various things that can go wrong with something like the forum. I have a call into the companies that supply us with the site and software but haven't been able to talk with a human yet

I also have a call into Craig who started the forum. He might be able to see behind the curtain and see if there is a way to correct whatever is causing these problems.

I, along with some of the other regulars, took over admin of the forum so as not to see it die like the Kern Forum overnight. I apologize for not being a good steward but frankly, it has been difficult for me since that evening in 2019 that changed my life. This is a place where I have met and shared some water with some wonderful folks. Folks who taught me so much about fly fishing, tying, and even building rods. I've enjoyed reading about everyone's on water adventures and posting my own. Fly fishing filled a void for me after having to retire from the Fire Dept early.

Let's see I can find out. I'll do a separate post.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Ants » December 4th, 2022, 11:56 am

Here’s hoping the admin access issues are fixed.

I would love to see more of the huge fish from NorcalBob, but seeing any fish or photos is great. I have not been out myself.

Holiday Cheer!

Go FFA!

Ants
Ants

Postby lucfish » December 4th, 2022, 4:01 pm

Ants wrote:Here’s hoping the admin access issues are fixed.

I would love to see more of the huge fish from NorcalBob, but seeing any fish or photos is great. I have not been out myself.

Holiday Cheer!

Go FFA!

Ants

Doesn’t appear to be fixed. I tried to post pics and it locked me out.
lucfish

Postby NorcalBob » December 4th, 2022, 5:53 pm

Luc, the only way I can get it to work for me is to log out, then immediately log back in, and then immediately start a post.
Any other way and I get the "You're banned" message.

lucfish wrote:
Ants wrote:Here’s hoping the admin access issues are fixed.

Holiday Cheer!

Go FFA!

Ants

Doesn’t appear to be fixed. I tried to post pics and it locked me out.
NorcalBob

Postby Justin » December 4th, 2022, 7:29 pm

I’m still here and fishing quite a bit. I just suck at resizing pics to try to oust over here. I only have a work computer and my phone. So it’s challenging to post from my phone, so I don’t. I do try to post on the FB page but I know it’s not the same.

Justin
Justin

Postby rayfound » December 5th, 2022, 1:45 pm

I still check in from time to time. I haven't fished much at all in the last several years. Kids, work, and life just gets so busy.

I hate to say but I think the classic forum is kind of dying. Things like Reddit (and even facebook) do discussion so much better with conversation threading, notifications, etc... and photo sharing, etc...

It quite simply takes more work to overcome the friction of the forum structure than other "modern" social media.

But at the end of the day, I think there's a lot of us who were really passionate and active fishing for a period of time, and as we've devoted time and energy towards other things (kids sports, mountain biking, family leisure travel for me...) there hasn't been the influx of new members here to keep the activity level up.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby planettrout » December 5th, 2022, 9:39 pm

Jim suggested the log in log out method;

My Daughter Ally & HERO at the canal, behind the old Ford dealership...

Bugs on the Lower "O" over Veteran's Day weekend...

Small Brown, same location...

Preview works !!!

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby lucfish » December 5th, 2022, 9:41 pm

Jim just told me Craig fixed the problem, so I thought I'd post a few pics from the past couple months. First pic is of my brother with a 30 lb striper caught on the Lower Sac. Second picture is of a bull Dorado I managed off of Catalina (What a day) third pic is a pic Justin took of a nice bass caught on a popper on November 1st. First time I caught a bass on a popper in November. Next day a cold front blew in and the bass went deep until next April. :roll:

lucfish

Postby fivefish » December 5th, 2022, 9:49 pm

Hey everyone! Jim reached out to me and I have hopped on to see what's going on. First I wanted to say that it's INSANE that this forum is still going after so many years. While I'm more often found on Facebook and Ray is right that it's simply easier to use newer systems of social media to communicate, coming back to the site reminds me of just how much history, how much pieces of our lives are invested here. Many of us made friends, took amazing trips, watched each others' kids grow up, and even shared in hard times and lifting each other up. It would be a shame to lose all that, and there's no good way to migrate our history as a community to another platform, so I am in on helping Jim keep things alive.

Thank you all for the memories. For the friendships. For helping me become a better fisherman, to learn more about our amazing sport, and for all the joy that this has brought so many of us.

With that said, hit me up if there are any issues. I'd like to try to understand more about the patterns you are seeing with the banning and other issues. If you can share with me any particular steps you are taking that results in the situation, that would be great. Jim and I walked through on the phone and I had him turn off a remote blacklisting setting that uses third party blacklist lookup which might have contributed to the issue. Please let me know if you are seeing more success in posting, and if not, please also let me know.

I now live in the Bitterroot Valley in Montana. Here's a photo of last week's best fish for me, a nice westslope cutt from the Bitterroot River.

Thanks.

Craig Coston
fivefish

Postby NorcalBob » December 5th, 2022, 10:34 pm

I'm pretty sure that was the main source of my problem. The error message included a link to a third party blacklisting website and no way in (you know where) was I going to click on that link to find out. Hopefully, that issue is resolved.
I'll find out, maybe tomorrow, when I post some more pics/reports.

<<<Jim and I walked through on the phone and I had him turn off a remote blacklisting setting that uses third party blacklist lookup which might have contributed to the issue.>>>
NorcalBob

Postby Wildman » December 6th, 2022, 6:53 am

Wonderful! FIngers crossed that this will be the end of the issues with black listing.

I did share with Craig that I cannot log into the forum using FireFox, which I have used for years but can with Safari or Chrome. Other two , no issues.

Using Firefox, I get David's site and can't even see the forum. David's site has always been there but normally lives as link at the top of the entry page. Hoping we can at least identify why Firefox doesn't seem to see the site.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby lucfish » December 6th, 2022, 7:36 am

fivefish wrote:Hey everyone! Jim reached out to me and I have hopped on to see what's going on. First I wanted to say that it's INSANE that this forum is still going after so many years. While I'm more often found on Facebook and Ray is right that it's simply easier to use newer systems of social media to communicate, coming back to the site reminds me of just how much history, how much pieces of our lives are invested here. Many of us made friends, took amazing trips, watched each others' kids grow up, and even shared in hard times and lifting each other up. It would be a shame to lose all that, and there's no good way to migrate our history as a community to another platform, so I am in on helping Jim keep things alive.

Thank you all for the memories. For the friendships. For helping me become a better fisherman, to learn more about our amazing sport, and for all the joy that this has brought so many of us.

With that said, hit me up if there are any issues. I'd like to try to understand more about the patterns you are seeing with the banning and other issues. If you can share with me any particular steps you are taking that results in the situation, that would be great. Jim and I walked through on the phone and I had him turn off a remote blacklisting setting that uses third party blacklist lookup which might have contributed to the issue. Please let me know if you are seeing more success in posting, and if not, please also let me know.

I now live in the Bitterroot Valley in Montana. Here's a photo of last week's best fish for me, a nice westslope cutt from the Bitterroot River.

Craig Coston

You’re right Craig. A lot of friendships are directly from this forum. Thanks for jumping in and help save it.
lucfish

Postby Wildman » December 9th, 2022, 8:21 am

The "Banning" issue should be corrected.
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing