REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

When Do You Stop?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

When Do You Stop?

Postby DarkShadow » July 19th, 2022, 10:51 am

So, question for the guys who have been fishing the locals for a while now.

Has it come to the point where you no longer do it? The last time I headed down 1N09, it was rutted, my poor Tacoma was shaking its head, and for what? To catch a pair of 6 inch fish. 2+ hours door to door, bunch of gas....

I tried heading up to the Slide and that path was down right treacherous in some spots and I had to turn back.

BUT, my buddy with a Jeep signed on to the mission a few weeks later, and we headed down there and hiked to the canyon and I thought it'd be epic, considering there was a chasm 10 feet wide and 6 feet deep on the road, and nobody had been there for a while.

A pair of 6 inch fish.

Do our locals go through cycles? And does it go into trends? And has it been on a downward trend it seems?

When is the initial investment no longer worth the reward?
DarkShadow

Re: When Do You Stop?

Postby John Harper » July 21st, 2022, 5:53 am

You're lucky. At least your local has not ceased to exist. Pine Valley Creek down here used to be a great spot for wild fish. Now, it's just a dry canyon.

John
John Harper

Postby NorcalBob » July 21st, 2022, 9:53 am

Yes, fish populations are highly cyclical and highly dependent on local conditions. The current drought is not helping out much, and I've stopped fishing my local redband creeks as the populations have taken a huge hit. At what point you choose to stop fishing and let them recover is a personal one. I haven't fished dinky creeks in a while, and have been fishing tailwaters instead. The good news is, that as long as there is just enough water to sustain some life, the populations will quickly rebound if conditions improve.
NorcalBob

Postby clee » July 21st, 2022, 7:30 pm

It's not worth fishing now. I know of a local fishery that still has "big" fish but I think its best to leave them alone. Water is low and they may not even survive the summer. If they survive I see them again when water levels increase.

Yes it is cyclical. Several years ago the locals were amazing. In some fisheries my average fish was 10 inches and getting more than one 14 -18 inch was not uncommon. Then the drought came. Changed everything. Fish were almost nonexistent. Few years ago the fish came back. Not as good as last time but it was on a upward swing and I would get get in the 12 inch range in multiple locations. Then the lockdowns and drought brought it downhill again to what it is now. I'm sure it'll come back when good water years come again.

With gas at what it is and how low the water is now, the juice is not worth the squeeze. I say focus on other fishing opportunities.
clee

Postby huntingtheriverking » August 3rd, 2022, 2:13 pm

I still find it satisfyingly to get out and catch local wild trout, even 6" trout. The thrill for me is the exploration, getting away, the hike, and the fish are icing on the cake.

Researching a local blue line extensively online then going there in person and finding water + fish is a great experience, even if the fish are tiny. I have fished a fair number of local creeks and there are still streams on the "to explore" list.

Agreed on the cyclical points. I used to have 20+ fish days with 14" + trout, haven't had those in a while.

For me, changes in life responsibilities makes it more difficult to get out than it used to be, not for a lack of interest.
huntingtheriverking

Postby 1mocast » August 18th, 2022, 7:04 am

Great question!
It will return with a couple good years of deluge. I remember in about 2008-ish when some of the locals were treeless around the streams and few trees remaining had debris/trash way over my head! The power of the water scoured everything and dug deep channels moving all the silt high up the stream banks.

For me, I am disheartened to go to the So Cal streams lately due to the droughts and epic fires. I still haven't been to some of my favorite blue lines. Yes I would love to just go and explore for a couple of 6 inch fish but, I know I will be disappointed by the nice deep holes filled in with silt and charred trees.

I am hopeful that time will heal and return with some nice fishing.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Return to General Fly Fishing