REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

WFH?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

WFH?

Postby DarkShadow » June 10th, 2022, 4:17 pm

Hey,

Anybody been moved 100% remote for work?

Have you seen an uptick in days you spend on the water?

Is your management flexible enough to let you work from anywhere?
DarkShadow

Re: WFH?

Postby NorcalBob » June 10th, 2022, 8:55 pm

I probably shouldn't respond to this since I'm retired (so I don't need to worry about work) and my answer might get someone in trouble. :booty:
I know of a certain favorite fishing buddy of mine whose job went to tele-work due to COVID and we're certainly fishing together much more often than pre-COVID. And they do lap top computer stuff, phone calls, meetings, etc from the boat nowadays thanks to cell phones and data plans (but I at least turn the motor off and don't whoop and holler when I get a nice one! I know, I'm a nice guy!). So yes, COVID did have at least one beneficial effect for me! :bananadance:
NorcalBob

Re: WFH?

Postby DarkShadow » June 15th, 2022, 12:15 pm

I hate using the term "life changing," but this WFH has been that. I hope that ultimately more employers move towards this for employees who can work 100% remotely.

I've gotten 4 hours of my day back thanks to the lack of commute. Anybody who has gone from the east side of the city all the way to Westwood can attest how much fun that is. That alone has reduced my stress level tremendously, and considering how much gas is, I don't mind my commute being a few stairs to my home office.

Lunch now consists of grabbing a rod and heading down to the local pond 5 minutes away. That's the main reason I fished over 250 days last year. I fish it for an hour, and head back home. If the bite is good, I may take a 'long lunch.'

My boss also subscribes to the "as long as you're available, i could care less where you work from" mentality. The best office view I had last year was from Paradise Valley in MT, (which I know is going through some catastrophic flooding as we speak, so thoughts and prayers out to those affected.) Zoom calls while in waders on the Lower Owens? Conference calls in the middle of Texas while on a 3 week road trip? Sure.

My buddy has also moved to remote work, and found someone to sublet his house in LA for 2 months in the summer. He's looking for long term rental property in Oregon and Idaho, and from the looks of it, he'll be turning a good profit, and fly fishing in some pretty areas.
DarkShadow

Return to General Fly Fishing