REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Noah, I want you to build an ark

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Noah, I want you to build an ark

Postby WatchinTheWater » May 19th, 2022, 12:11 pm

What does a Fly Fishing Addict do during a mega-drought and worldwide pandemic? First try to get on the water and get a few fish before the water gets too low and warm to hold enough oxygen for the fish. Hike to get away from the pandemic van life crowd and first time ever campers that have stumbled onto my favorite riverside campsites. How about building a boat.
Since learning to fish and getting a few trips in drift boats and rafts I have always kept my eyes open for a raft or boat to buy. They are hard to find and expensive. Planning ahead for what looked like an upcoming dry summer I purchased a book and another set of plans early spring of last year.

After studying up and creating a material list I was off to the lumber yard for construction grade lumber for the strong back, the platform the boat would be built on. A quick trip down to Denver to buy some Douglas Fir for the frames and White Oak for rails and chines. Fortunately the price of hardwoods did not increase as drastically as construction grade lumber, I guess it was always more available. The first project after the strong back is to build the frames that make the skeleton of the boat. Getting the frames assembled, plum, square and fair before connecting them together and to the transom and bow stem is tricky.

The hull is constructed of 1/4” oak plywood. Scarp joining two sheets of plywood together gives you a sixteen feet sheet that both sides are cut from. Two layers are laminated together on the bottom for more strength. The sides are fiberglassed with 6oz cloth and the bottom gets 10oz. I coated the bottom with several coats of graphite strengthened epoxy.

With a hull starting to look like it might actually float it was exciting to get to work each morning. A couple of coats of flag blue then oak chine caps and bow stem cover and most of the bottom work is done!

The day the hull comes off of the strong back is momentous. There is still much to do but for the first time the hull is upright and it is easier to envision it as a stable whitewater craft.

Oak rails are the next step. First the outside then after trimming the frames and hull the inside rails are beveled into the frames. The hull is now complete for the most part.

Setting my two Yeti coolers as seats and getting a rough idea of the oar lock placement and angle was next up. With the seats in place the the oar locks were set up and the boat was ready for a row. The forward bulkhead and fly line deck added some cabinetry to the bow but from now on most additions will be interior “furniture.”

Construction began late April and by late June the projected launch date was August 9th, my 66th birthday. I managed to book a lakeside campsite at Pearl Lake for a couple of nights so I loaded up the seats/coolers with food and beverages. The boat was loaded on a borrowed trailer then christened in the upper Elk River Valley.

Rowing the boat around the lake for a couple of days was fantastic but some oarlock adjustments were required before it was put onto moving water. After getting the oar locks reset the anchor system was installed.

Bow and stern floor boards provided a comfortable place for the passenger to stand and cast and for the dog to stand or lay.

A couple of weeks later the boat was ready for a 15 mile run down the upper Colorado River. The water was getting low but the boat performed well and with a couple more tweaks will be a nice fishing platform.

Ordering things ahead of time kept supply chain issues at a minimum. A trip to the Front Range for a new trailer and the addition of a cabinet next to the rower’s seat had us ready for one more river run before the water level dropped below navigable for the winter.

Oak rub rails were added to protect the hull from any rocks we might run into and few fresh coats of varnish were applied before the boat was hung in the garage for ski season.

The second day of spring the boat came down and work began preparing for a season on the water. Over the winter I recovered a pair of antique spruce oars so I repaired, reinforced, and restored some pretty wooden oars to go with the boat. I put in an Adirondack style stern seat and gave Chipeta her proper name. With a decent snowpack starting to melt rivers are rising to the highest levels in several years. Big compared to drought years but really a pretty “normal” run off so far. A group of rafting friends and I spent the last week camped on the Colorado doing daily party floats. The river was completely blown out so I never put a rod in the boat, just plenty of cold beer.

Although muddy the Colorado appears to be in pretty good health this spring. Avian and aquatic life was abundant. One evening a fresh breeze was blowing a blizzard hatch of slate wing caddis through camp. If you knelt down at waters edge the shoreline 100 yards upstream was obscured by clouds of caddis coming off of the eddies.
In the past most of my fishing expeditions have been just me and Bear. Now to truly take advantage of the boat a partner will be very helpful. Ideally I would like a rower that doesn’t fish but I do enjoy rowing Chipeta and I’m sure I’ll enjoy others catching fish from her bow. I’m one hour from the Colorado, two hours to The Miracle Mile on the North Platte, three hours from Flaming Gorge, a day from “Kansas” and a couple days from Montana. So if you are planning on a trip into the central or northern Rockies get in touch, I always need a shuttle driver!
Happy Fishin’
Dave
WTW
WatchinTheWater

Re: Noah, I want you to build an ark

Postby lucfish » May 19th, 2022, 3:17 pm

Wow, that’s one * of a project. What a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. Thank you for spending the time to post it.
lucfish

Postby RichardCullip » May 19th, 2022, 8:19 pm

You've busy! What a great looking drift boat. Have fun floating your nearby rivers.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby clee » May 19th, 2022, 8:29 pm

One of the coolest posts on this forum in a long while. Good job.
clee

Postby McFlyfi » May 20th, 2022, 10:48 am

That is an awesome project!
I have no way to be able to do something like that. Hope you have many wonderful days fishing/drifting in her!

(First thing I thought of was the punchline to the Bill Cosby routine- "Lord, what's a cubit?"
McFlyfi

Postby Bernard » May 20th, 2022, 3:56 pm

Simply beautiful!
Bernard

Postby FIGHTONSC » May 20th, 2022, 4:17 pm

You’ve got some real craftsmanship talent in your bones….absolute beauty!
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby Ants » May 20th, 2022, 5:20 pm

Nice build and enjoy the drifting and fishing to come.

The forum - woodenboatpeople.org is loaded with abundant resources and advice / suggestions. The forum is located in the McKenzie River in OR, but covers the west for builds, organized activities and the such. It seems there is one or two organized events in CO. It never hurts to know who else may be out there.

Roger Fletcher’s book is a gem.

One of the memorable quotes from an old timer was that boats come and go, but when you get a good pair of oars dialed it, then you have something memorable.

Nice post on your build!

Ants
Ants

Postby Gary C. » May 21st, 2022, 1:06 pm

Outstanding job!!
That is so awesome and will be a heck of a lot of fun.
Gary C.

Postby John Harper » May 23rd, 2022, 8:24 am

What an awesome boat! Fantastic craftsmanship.

I'm headed back up to Wyoming around the middle of June. Found a few more nice spots last year, especially down on the Smith's Fork and over the Wyoming Range in the Cottonwood creeks.

John
John Harper

Postby WatchinTheWater » May 24th, 2022, 7:43 am

Thanks for the compliments but if you want to see true craftsmanship visit that wooden boat people site that Ants shared. I’m really a hack that can follow a recipe and directions pretty well. I did have some previous fiberglassing skills that came in handy but as Ants said the Fletcher book is great. The first part is a great read detailing the history of fishing in the Northwest. Material sourcing and instructions are included with the plans for several boats in the later parts. Chipeta has many flaws that some of those wooden boat people would not tolerate but she is watertight, sturdy, functional and with her imperfections still beautiful and something I am quite proud of. It is a working boat not a piece of art. The first boat ramp question is usually, “Nice boat, did you build that?” :) If you can operate power tools without a trip to the ER, can follow a recipe, have garage space and some time you can build a boat that you will enjoy the rest of your life.
John,
We’ve had some storms blow through this spring helping the snowpack with some extra snow and slowing down the melt off. This year will have more water and should last later than recent years. By mid June the upper Green should be good floating around Pinedale and if it hasn’t settled yet there are some floats lower below Fontenelle that I would like to check out. Let’s meet up.
Thanx Again & Happy Fishin’
Dave
WTW
Ants, I have the Colorado festival in the fall on my calendar, thanx
WatchinTheWater

Postby rayfound » May 26th, 2022, 7:02 am

this is so awesome and now I want to build a boat.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby 1mocast » May 26th, 2022, 2:19 pm

Dave,
WOW! Good to see you are enjoying life!
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby midger » May 29th, 2022, 12:29 pm

Truly a work of love and I'm sure you'll have many adventures floating many stretches of river. You may not think it perfect, but most woodworkers are too quick to find flaws with their own work. For a first time build it looks great to me.

Good luck finding rowers. I fished from a fully equipped whitewater raft equipped with rowing frame, braces, etc for fly fishing for the past 25 years or so and have rafted the Green (below Flaming Gorge), the Salmon, Hells Canyon, South Fork of the Boise, etc--mainly Class II to Class IV. Finding another good rower who doesn't like to fish is tough. Many have good intentions but most aren't that good on the sticks unless you're going through frog water. I found that most often I'd eddy out and fish good areas by wading or stay on the sticks and direct casts to likely looking holding water during the drift.

I am impressed with what you did though. I think it's great.

Tight Lines and happy rowing
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Papasequoia » June 2nd, 2022, 11:10 am

Wow, very impressive! I hope that you have many great trips with that.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing