REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Is it Worth It?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Is it Worth It?

Postby WanderingBlues » January 19th, 2022, 8:28 am

I may be back in my old stomping grounds for a minute. My wife wants to visit her folks and I was thinking about bringing the 1wt. Are the locals worth it anymore?
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: Is it Worth It?

Postby DarkShadow » January 19th, 2022, 10:17 am

As I enter my mid 40s, I realize that Im no spring chicken and the amount of off trail bush wacking is no longer something that I'll do on a constant basis. Im sure the usual haunts will hold some fish, but for me, the locals have finally gotten to the point where the initial investment is not worth the reward anymore.

I don't know if the WF of the SG is open since the fires. I know the EF is, but I haven't had anything there of size in decades, even with a hike to the Bridge and fishing upstream from there, which I thought would produce better quality, and it really didn't.

The SBNF creeks should be running well, but last time, access was terrible in some stretches. It looks like they haven't graded it in a while. The stretch to the BC/SA confluence isn't too terrible, but the 2nd route further upstream was horrendous, even in my buddy's fully equipped Jeep. Did I catch fish? Yeah, a pair of 6 inch browns. Would I drive my own vehicle up there for 6 inch browns? Naw, dogg.

And then Piru, which would be my choice if I felt safe leaving my truck parked at the lot at FF. Had some pretty fantastic days out there this team of year, so that could be worth a looksie.

So, ultimately, "worth it" is relative.
DarkShadow

Postby John Harper » January 19th, 2022, 11:01 am

Have not seen any reports from anywhere for a while. I suppose DC is still harboring some trout, although I know Holcomb Creek was completely dry over the summer as my buddy rode his moto through the area.

John
John Harper

Postby huntingtheriverking » January 19th, 2022, 11:32 am

San Gabes: Lot of spots closed due to the damage from Bobcat Fire previously. However, EF is still open and still producing. Fished it myself and have seen plenty of reports. Still crowded and popular at times. Streams to the east of it also open.

San Berns: Several streams under closure from El Dorado, but Santa Ana is still good to go. Plenty of fish from reports I've seen and on a prior trip last year. Have had some recent rain so expect conditions to be runoff. Wet-ish season so far, good year coming up I think.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have specific blue line in question in either range.
huntingtheriverking

Postby WanderingBlues » January 19th, 2022, 8:38 pm

Just heartbreaking. I used to average 100+ days a year on DC alone, but the last year we lived in Arrowhead, I think I fished it once and spooked zero trout. Drought and fires had taken its toll. And that was in a section that a 20 fish day was considered slow… Maybe I’ll 4x down to where SA and BC meet for a look around.

I guess it’s true- you can’t go home again.
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby DarkShadow » January 20th, 2022, 10:03 am

WanderingBlues wrote:Maybe I’ll 4x down to where SA and BC meet for a look around.

Definitely let us know how that goes. Haven't been down there in ages.

Last time I hiked down a good 3 to 4 miles and even got to an amazing waterfall.
DarkShadow

Is it Worth It?

Postby Rasputinj » January 23rd, 2022, 12:02 am

I would target carp if you are in SoCal. With fires and drought it has been hard down here. Make a run up to east side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby FIGHTONSC » January 23rd, 2022, 7:53 am

Curtis,

I’d head to the Kern and fish the section parallel to the airport up to Caldwell Creek. That stretch always produced nice fish during the winter months before runoff starts.

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby clee » January 23rd, 2022, 10:25 pm

Fished a local just after New Years. Fishing was subpar but the "company" was good. Water was running fast and unlike the past two years when I could regularly get a 12 inchers or two this time only dinks and micordinks were taking. Not sure if it was because the "big" fish were gone or just not eating that day. I'm sure the water is just about right by now. Is it worth it to bring your rod? That's up to you.
clee

Postby FIGHTONSC » January 24th, 2022, 8:11 am

clee wrote:Fished a local just after New Years. Fishing was subpar but the "company" was good. Water was running fast and unlike the past two years when I could regularly get a 12 inchers or two this time only dinks and micordinks were taking. Not sure if it was because the "big" fish were gone or just not eating that day. I'm sure the water is just about right by now. Is it worth it to bring your rod? That's up to you.

Cool pics of the Big Horns, Charles! Glad to see that they (the sheep) are still doing well up in the drainage, even if the salmonids aren’t.

Happy New Years,

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Is it Worth It?

Postby Rasputinj » January 24th, 2022, 11:22 pm

DarkShadow wrote:
WanderingBlues wrote:Maybe I’ll 4x down to where SA and BC meet for a look around.

Definitely let us know how that goes. Haven't been down there in ages.

Last time I hiked down a good 3 to 4 miles and even got to an amazing waterfall.

That whole area used to be awesome. 25 years ago, I would work at Keller Peak in the morning and fish DC, BC or SA in afternoon.

I don’t think I have been to BC in 10+ years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby Bernard » January 26th, 2022, 7:18 pm

I have not necessarily "given up" but I have most certainly lowered my expectations. That said, even in streams that were hit hard by drought, there are those strange moments when the fish seem to appear out of nowhere. A recent volley of treks, intended for physical training, to the upper Piru drainage have shown some fish starting to show. It's not consistent but I think the "sweet spot" (season-wise) is around the corner. Fish are small but beautiful and wild. Bonus: Condor sightings. Condor clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vjLrvE_wkg. Disclaimer: This footage is from a different stretch of the drainage but not far and we saw the condors in the upper drainage as well. Best of luck. Tell us what you find and you have my support should you wish to not name exact spots by name. ;)
- B.
Bernard

Postby WanderingBlues » January 30th, 2022, 4:10 pm

Welllllllll, it wasn’t worth it.. Lucfish and I hit a former cherry patch for nada. The company, however, was excellent.
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby FIGHTONSC » January 30th, 2022, 4:45 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:Welllllllll, it wasn’t worth it.. Lucfish and I hit a former cherry patch for nada. The company, however, was excellent.

Sorry to hear about your old haunt not holding any fish. You and Luc should schedule a few days together in Kansas later in the Spring. The Big O should be very productive this year due to the abundance of 14-16 inch fish we caught in 2021. Those little fish will be 18 inches by summer time.

Who knows Curtis, I might even fire up the Barbie again!
FIGHTONSC

Postby WanderingBlues » January 30th, 2022, 6:24 pm

FIGHTONSC wrote:Sorry to hear about your old haunt not holding any fish. You and Luc should schedule a few days together in Kansas later in the Spring. The Big O should be very productive this year due to the abundance of 14-16 inch fish we caught in 2021. Those little fish will be 18 inches by summer time.

Who knows Curtis, I might even fire up the Barbie again!

Your cooking alone is worth the trip!
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing