REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Backpack to Glen Aulin HSC and Waterwheel Falls, 6/24/2021

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Backpack to Glen Aulin HSC and Waterwheel Falls, 6/24/2021

Postby Gary C. » July 8th, 2021, 7:50 pm

I thought that I got lucky drawing a permit for 7people in Yosemite but when I had a couple other friends that wanted to come along submit for walk-ups we ended up with permits for 11 people. It turned out to be the biggest group that I've ever planned for or participated in hiking with. Not a lot to report about except that the scenery was absolutely beautiful. We all drove up to Tuolumne Meadows on Wed and stayed in the backpackers camp. Thursday morning we we started hiking to the Glen Aulin High Sierra camp. The Parsons Lodge was closed but we did stop long enough to listen to one of the docents talk about the Soda Spring nearby. Later when we arrived at Glen Aulin we spread out to a couple camp sites. The HSC was closed but the Solar Decomposing toilet was open and working. Everyone was happy about that. After setting up camp and filtering water a couple of us strung our fly rods and headed for the river. Stuck a few small Brookies and my buddy Mark caught one small Rainbow. We didn't fish long because everyone was tired from the hike in.

Fridays morning we all day hike down the canyon to Waterwheel Falls and back. Despite the drought and low flows all of the falls were beautiful and worth the work hiking in. While in the canyon we started hearing that there had been a body reported under the water at the base of Waterwheel Falls. We didn't see anything until later back at camp we saw the helo fly down canyon from the HSC and come out just a few minutes later. About an hour later the same copter came back with a cable hanging and again shortly after flew out with a body hanging underneath. It was a pretty solemn moment for everyone. Not too long after that an armed LEO came through the HSC camp interviewing everyone. Not much else to report. We did see some great water to fish and some very nice trout down in the canyon on our day hike but we didn't take our rods with us. Saturday morning we broke camp early and headed back to Tuolumne and onward to home.

Tuolumne Falls

White Cascade Falls near the Glen Aulin HSC

My buddy Mark flinging to them at White Cascade

My wife and friend Mike at Waterwheel

A few more pics from the trip.

Not hardly anything about fly fishing. It's taken this long to get a post together because by the time I downloaded the pics I'm not very happy with them. Still figured I'd share with you all.
Gary C.

Re: Backpack to Glen Aulin HSC and Waterwheel Falls, 6/24/20

Postby Gary C. » July 8th, 2021, 7:59 pm

A link about the guy that was flown out.
https://kmph.com/news/local/hiker-found ... ional-park
Gary C.

Postby WanderingBlues » July 9th, 2021, 8:31 am

Beautiful place. Never made it to the Waterwheels yet. One day.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby lucfish » July 9th, 2021, 8:31 am

Thanks for posting, too bad about the hiker.
lucfish

Postby McFlyfi » July 9th, 2021, 10:25 am

I miss backpacking...

Nice trip, Gary.
McFlyfi

Postby Gary C. » July 13th, 2021, 11:22 am

McFlyfi wrote:I miss backpacking...

Nice trip, Gary.

So whats been stopping you Matt? Reese is big enough to help carry your stuff these days. :)
Gary C.

Postby Papasequoia » July 15th, 2021, 11:58 am

Love that area - thanks for the pics and report. That was one of my first trips when I lived in Yosemite (82-84) and I was lucky enough to do it in a high water year and see the waterwheels. That was also the second bp trip we took with our boys but only got about a half mile below the HSC which was in operation at the time. Good memories.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Dry Fly Rie » July 18th, 2021, 9:17 pm

There are so many cool places in the Sierras. Thanks for taking us along on your trip.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby 1mocast » July 25th, 2021, 7:13 pm

beautiful country.... Thank you for taking us along.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Return to General Fly Fishing