REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fish and Migration

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fish and Migration

Postby Bernard » May 12th, 2020, 9:13 am

I have always found it entertaining how sometimes (barring the influence of human activity) one finds a good number of fish in a section of creek and then, on another outing, finds few (or the other way around). It's this nuttiness that often has me returning to a stream over and over again. I see this happen in our local creeks. This article was called to my attention by a friend (and also a post on Moldy Chum): https://missoulian.com/news/local/150-miles-33-days-1-fish-a-rainbow-trouts-epic-journey-up-the-clark-fork/article_a42a9ca1-e54c-5f24-82b5-406542b5c56f.html. Fun read.
Bernard

Re: Fish and Migration

Postby lucfish » May 12th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Pretty amazing, isn't it? Steelhead, a rainbow will travel a thousand miles to there spawning grounds. Bull trout too. What fish won't do for sex. ;)
lucfish

Postby clee » May 12th, 2020, 5:22 pm

lucfish wrote:Pretty amazing, isn't it? Steelhead, a rainbow will travel a thousand miles to there spawning grounds. Bull trout too. What fish won't do for sex. ;)

Uhhh...you mean what guys won't do for sex.
clee

Postby FIGHTONSC » May 13th, 2020, 5:18 am

Interesting read Bernard. Thanks for sharing it.

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby Ants » May 14th, 2020, 8:35 pm

Fish travels are amazing and mind boggling.

On one trip to Vancouver Island and British Columbia - (observations in chronological order in June).

Near Campbell River, nice water but essentially no fish since they had not arrived. Some holdover fish near a hatchery that were likely escapees.

Mid-island, beautiful rivers, but again too early for fish. Lakes had resident fish.

Northern island, small fish within mile of salt water.

Mainland Northern BC, first salmon were just arriving about 20-30 miles from saltwater.

Mid BC inland, lakes had fish but tributary spawing was too early.

Southern BC, lakes had year round fish.

Across border into WA state, salmon arrived through entire dam and hydropower system, but not a clue when the fish left saltwater.

Must have been my timing and about 150 miles away from correct location.

Ants

PS. The trip was based on chasing fish, it started with calendar date in early June. It was surprising to see how fishing changes without resident river fish.
Ants

Return to General Fly Fishing