REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

State considering "putting a halt to fishing"

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

State considering "putting a halt to fishing"

Postby McFlyfi » April 9th, 2020, 2:43 pm

https://krcrtv.com/news/local/emergency ... 7ZZIyfxBgA
Seriously?
I get that rural locals don't want us unwashed city folk bringing the Dreaded Corona to their area, but closing the fishing season? I just bought my license a couple of weeks ago, do I get a refund?
Was hoping to get to Karen's Private creek in May, when I am required by the State to clear my lot (fire hazard reduction)by June 6 or whatever. We would be absolutely alone down there. And in making the trip, we could conceivably not stop anywhere, and not interact with anyone/anything (gas pump).
McFlyfi

Re: State considering "putting a halt to fishing"

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 9th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Does anybody know the outcome of today’s DFG or whatever they call themselves now meeting?

Just curious,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby Papasequoia » April 9th, 2020, 3:15 pm

I think they closed CA and recommended that we all go and fish in Idaho.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 9th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Papasequoia wrote:I think they closed CA and recommended that we all go and fish in Idaho.

We’re open for business, Brother!

Well, sorta. :)

Regards,

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Postby lucfish » April 9th, 2020, 4:04 pm

FIGHTONSC wrote:Does anybody know the outcome of today’s DFG or whatever they call themselves now meeting?

Just curious,

Jeff

They are rescheduling for next week. I guess it was mayhem. When they go to discuss, it will be with no input from outside people. I believe. From what I've read, a couple of counties want to delay the trout opener, Inyo, Mono, Alpine and another one I can't think of. If I was a betting man, that will be the extent of the closure. Now cities have closed fishing also, LA, San Diego to name a few.
lucfish

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 9th, 2020, 4:13 pm

lucfish wrote:
FIGHTONSC wrote:Does anybody know the outcome of today’s DFG or whatever they call themselves now meeting?

Just curious,

Jeff

They are rescheduling for next week. I guess it was mayhem. When they go to discuss, it will be with no input from outside people. I believe. From what I've read, a couple of counties want to delay the trout opener, Inyo, Mono, Alpine and another one I can't think of. If I was a betting man, that will be the extent of the closure. Now cities have closed fishing also, LA, San Diego to name a few.

Thanks, Luc!
FIGHTONSC

Postby clee » April 9th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Papasequoia wrote:I think they closed CA and recommended that we all go and fish in Idaho.

I bet they don't want us there either.
clee

Postby Ants » April 9th, 2020, 9:16 pm

The DFW notice specifically said a total ban was not under consideration.

But, things change quickly......

I guess this as good a place to put a photo of today's observation (9 April). As you pass through Riverkern along the N Fork of the Kern. My comments are being held for obvious reasons.

Ants
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (71.08 KiB) Viewed 12308 times
Ants

Postby Bernard » April 10th, 2020, 8:20 am

Wow that Tulare County sign ... don't know what to say.

I went down a slight rabbit-hole last night and read the initial meeting agenda:
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx ... 990&inline
and some additional materials that included comments. Really interesting and worth at least 10 minutes and a cup of coffee of skimming to get a bit of a handle on it all. Towards the latter part of this long document are emails and letters from guides and anglers and boat captains etc.

One interesting and sobering take-away is that through the per-capita lens, Mono County has the highest number of Covid cases. Posted here: https://www.sierrawave.net/covid-19-mon ... er-capita/

They are welcoming comment here: https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2020/04/ ... next-week/

B.
Bernard

Postby rayfound » April 10th, 2020, 10:12 am

It is a tough thing right, because fishing/hiking itself is obviously pretty minimal risk. But very few do those things only... fisherpeople travel usually a distance from home, they stop for coffee and lunch, they meet up with their friends, they visit gas stations, they stop in for bait and tackle... etc...

On the other hand, I recently ran up to a local creek for a couple hours, drive an EV and charge at home so no stopping for gas, never encountered another person nor used public facilities of any kind - while it is possible to maintain social distancing measures when doing some of these activities on an individual level, it is near impossible to accomplish this on the population level.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby huntingtheriverking » April 10th, 2020, 11:02 am

The LaTimes article is golden. I'm pleased that there is a strong support for fishing in California despite the overall decline in fishing license purchases:

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... an-meeting?

SacBee also: www.sacbee.com/news/local/article241897916.html

Basically, California is trying to restrict fishing in certain areas (specifically Eastern Sierra) supposedly due to potentially too many people in one place due to season opener, not close down fishing entirely.

The uproar was enough that Gavin Newsom had to address it in recent televised speech.

Regardless, I'm just glad that the fishing community isn't sitting back quietly.
huntingtheriverking

Postby WanderingBlues » April 12th, 2020, 6:56 am

I think the folks in Inyo/Mono county have a strong argument for delaying the opener. It’s a hot flippin mess on a normal opener what with tourist inundation. Unless you’re self contained with enough gas to make it there and back (and that disqualifies 99% of folks), there is going to be transient contact.

If Bluesapalooza or Mammoth Brewfest was happening, they would cancel. The mountain has amazing fresh powder, but no one is skiing.

And I’ve heard the argument that the locals don’t want outsiders so they can have it to themselves. Really? Yeah, the Troutfitter is throwing champagne parties with the huge financial reserves. The Looney Bean is roasting coffee over burners fueled with dollar bills. Their economics are so dire up there that even the most ardent hippie is probably nodding when 45 says “open the economy..”

Give those communities a break. The trout will still be there. And as soon as they can, they’ll roll out the welcome wagon with a sense of thanks and like no one can remember.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby tomsakai » April 12th, 2020, 5:43 pm

I agree with Curtis. The situation in Inyo and Mono counties is dire enough that they have closed all hotels, short term rentals, and public campgrounds in addition to the dining in restaurant closures that we’re experiencing. If the opener were to proceed where would people stay? I fear that many (most?) of them would elect dispersed camping; I’d hate to be walking anywhere near (especially downwind) those campsites.
tomsakai

Postby huntingtheriverking » April 13th, 2020, 9:15 pm

It's happening again on Wednesday (April 15th):

"The Commission is rescheduling to April 15, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. the emergency agenda item to consider a regulation that allows the California Department of Fish and Wildlife to suspend, delay, or restrict sport/recreational fishing in specific areas within the state due to public health concerns relating to COVID-19." (email I received from CDFW)

I recommend interested anglers keep a close eye here on how to joint the meeting (https://fgc.ca.gov/Meetings/2020 see the April 15th section). They haven't updated that portion of the website despite the new meeting being less than 2 days away (hmmm).
huntingtheriverking

Postby huntingtheriverking » April 16th, 2020, 10:42 am

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/outdoors/ ... 26491.html

It passed, unsurprisingly.

Comments from anglers raised concern, appropriately, about regulation creep into other regions.

A few other regional public service representatives called in to raise concerns about the specific wording of the authorization, and of potential impact on local communities that rely heavily on fishing for food (northern counties). Overall officials were highly in favor.
huntingtheriverking

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing