REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Critter Spotting

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Critter Spotting

Postby Bernard » April 7th, 2020, 4:39 pm

I have noticed an uptick in the ease with which I am spotting animals. I think the correlation between the reduced number of people "out there" may be a contributing factor. Anyone else experience such? In addition to the actual animals (deer, skunks, various reptiles, birds of prey, rabbits, etc.) I am also seeing a lot more in the way of tracks. Here's a fun one from a few days ago in the locals. Enjoy: https://trouthugger.blogspot.com/2020/04/so-cal-mountains-april-4-2020-ursus.html.
Bernard
Bernard

Re: Critter Spotting

Postby lucfish » April 8th, 2020, 7:18 am

Yogi! I've seen a few more coyotes when fishing Canyon. They don't hang around for a pic though. Hopefully we will still be able to do some fishing after the meeting DFW is having 8:30 on Thursday.
lucfish

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 8th, 2020, 7:44 am

lucfish wrote:Yogi! I've seen a few more coyotes when fishing Canyon. They don't hang around for a pic though. Hopefully we will still be able to do some fishing after the meeting DFW is having 8:30 on Thursday.

I get the Covid Thing, but California not allowing people to get out in the great outdoors seems a bit draconian to me. The risk of contagion seems rather minimal hiking along a mountain trail or fishing a stream.

I feel for you guys!

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby NorcalBob » April 8th, 2020, 7:53 am

My son is a biologist on the Trinity River, and they just had the fly fishing only section of the Trinity open 1 April. It was a zoo (as expected on opening days) with little "social distancing" being practiced with the majority of the anglers coming from the Bay Area (a COVID hotspot). Needless to say, the locals are not pleased with all these "outsiders" coming up, especially when you consider Trinity County does not have a single COVID case (yet). Whilst most fishing activities can be done safely, not all fishing activities may be able to attain that goal. That's why WA state closed down their fishing season. And I expect other states to follow.
FIGHTONSC wrote:
lucfish wrote:Yogi! I've seen a few more coyotes when fishing Canyon. They don't hang around for a pic though. Hopefully we will still be able to do some fishing after the meeting DFW is having 8:30 on Thursday.

I get the Covid Thing, but California not allowing people to get out in the great outdoors seems a bit draconian to me. The risk of contagion seems rather minimal hiking along a mountain trail or fishing a stream.

I feel for you guys!

Regards,

Jeff
NorcalBob

Postby NorcalBob » April 8th, 2020, 8:05 am

As far as Bernards OP, up here in the bay area, the wildlife has mostly disappeared, due to the huge increase in human usage in the county park I live next to. I hike the trails there most every day (over the past 35 years) and on a "busy" day I used to see 2-4 people, pre-COVID. Most days I see no one! Not any longer! Now with the trails being the only thing still open to humans, I now see 20-40 people a day and the wildlife (which is usually quite abundant) have vanished. I do not hike those public trails any longer and I have blazed some new "trails" in the areas adjacent to the park, in which I've seen a total of one family group of three people, since COVID started. And I see my more normal amount of wildlife on that trail.
NorcalBob

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 8th, 2020, 8:12 am

NorcalBob wrote:My son is a biologist on the Trinity River, and they just had the fly fishing only section of the Trinity open 1 April. It was a zoo (as expected on opening days) with little "social distancing" being practiced with the majority of the anglers coming from the Bay Area (a COVID hotspot). Needless to say, the locals are not pleased with all these "outsiders" coming up, especially when you consider Trinity County does not have a single COVID case (yet). Whilst most fishing activities can be done safely, not all fishing activities may be able to attain that goal. That's why WA state closed down their fishing season. And I expect other states to follow.
FIGHTONSC wrote:

I feel for you guys!

Regards,

Jeff

I guess I was brought up in a generation where we actually tried to give space and stay away from other fly fisherman along the stream. Seems like bad manners being so close to each other, Covid or no Covid!

I believe that’s a part of the equation of why fly fishing is often referred to as ”the silent sport”

I’m pulling for you guys and hope that you can get back to fishing soon.

Regards,

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Postby clee » April 8th, 2020, 1:36 pm

I can't speak for recent times but even at full traffic mode I've run face to face with a Black Bear on the WF, Rams in another part of the San Gabes, deer in San Berns, another Black Bear 4x4ing into a creek with a similar name and multiple small game everywhere else.

Jeff I don't think the Trinity offers much social distancing for the on-foot-angler. That river only has a few areas that on can fish from shore or wade.

City Slickers stay home. I don't blame rural CA upset with city folk coming up. If one of those guys brings covid into any small rural community, they are screwed if there's a statewide outbreak. Sacramento wont give two stihs about them if they have to deal with LA, SF, SJ, OC SD etc being overwhelmed. Small communities won't get any resources, it'll all go to the big cities/counties.

I say fish local if you must.
clee

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 8th, 2020, 1:50 pm

clee wrote:
Jeff I don't think the Trinity offers much social distancing for the on-foot-angler. That river only has a few areas that on can fish from shore or wade.

I’ve never fished it (Trinity) Charles, but you know me.....I’m not much into crowds whether hunting or fishing.

I could see where an invasion of Bay Area city slickers could cause havoc and the possible spread the C virus in a tiny and isolated town.

I get Norcal’s and your points about staying local.

Regards,

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Postby Bernard » April 8th, 2020, 5:17 pm

NorCalBob and clee ... thanks for chiming-in. I realize now that my post does not address the distinction between "better known" waters/parks versus ones that are more obscure or under the radar. As a surfer in LA County, I am already at risk of an actual fine+ticket for going surfing or even playing frisbee on the beach because before the lockdown, people were out in big numbers and not practicing any sort of social distancing. Some of the spots I have been exploring are just obscure enough or require a little too much distance from the proverbial parking lot and restroom to find crowds. Very curious what Thursday's news brings. On a semi-related note, might anyone recommend a not too expensive motion-detecting critter cam?
B.
Bernard

Postby planettrout » April 8th, 2020, 8:22 pm

FYI: The California Fish and Game Commission will hold an emergency meeting Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 8:30 a.m.:

https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2020/04/ ... BHnxUKCGGY

The recreational fishing closure in Washington State has been extended to May 4, 2020:

https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/fishing-shellf ... -postponed

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby NorcalBob » April 9th, 2020, 10:23 am

Yes, there is a difference between heavily utilized areas and more remote locations. Unfortunately, the heavily utilized areas may need restrictions that the lower utilized areas do not. And I support those restrictions. I'm not hiking on the public county trails for the time being (way too many people), but I'm still utilizing my "unofficial" trails that are on lands adjacent to the park. But, should they close the county park trails (all parking areas are closed/gated, but trail access currently are open), I will not utilize my "unofficial" trails (even though they are not part of the county park and I do not cross county park land to access them).
Bernard wrote:NorCalBob and clee ... thanks for chiming-in. I realize now that my post does not address the distinction between "better known" waters/parks versus ones that are more obscure or under the radar. As a surfer in LA County, I am already at risk of an actual fine+ticket for going surfing or even playing frisbee on the beach because before the lockdown, people were out in big numbers and not practicing any sort of social distancing. Some of the spots I have been exploring are just obscure enough or require a little too much distance from the proverbial parking lot and restroom to find crowds. Very curious what Thursday's news brings. On a semi-related note, might anyone recommend a not too expensive motion-detecting critter cam?
B.
NorcalBob

Postby Craw14 » April 9th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Earlier this week in urban Los Angeles, I noticed 2 squirrels frolicking and a possum walking across a couple of lawns at 10am broad daylight.
Craw14

Postby Bernard » April 10th, 2020, 8:13 am

Craw14 wrote:Earlier this week in urban Los Angeles, I noticed 2 squirrels frolicking and a possum walking across a couple of lawns at 10am broad daylight.

There ya go. Similarly, I watched a skunk rooting for something (it was in hot pursuit) on a hillside during the late afternoon under cloudy skies. Did not expect that.
Bernard

Return to General Fly Fishing