REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Small Stream Leader

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Small Stream Leader

Postby Gary C. » April 8th, 2020, 1:18 pm

One of the better threads that we've had for a while. I think that I remember something about the leader links from when I first started to fly fish? In any case I think that it sounds like a much better snag resistant system for my 2 and 3 weight rods when I'm on small water fighting with brush or moss. I just ordered a pack and will see how i like it.
Gary C.

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 8th, 2020, 2:08 pm

Guys,

Eagle Claw/Wright and McGill used to give me cartons of leader links to give out in Alaska on my trips. I have nine packages left in the small 2-3 wt.size for you light rod brush busters.

FE4C8001-25E8-4ECB-AC6F-79FB964A27BC.jpeg
Small 2-3 weight leader links
FE4C8001-25E8-4ECB-AC6F-79FB964A27BC.jpeg (248.47 KiB) Viewed 6285 times

The first six of you who pm me with your address, I’ll mail each one of you a package to try for yourselves.

I’ll let you know when I reach six pm’s.

********(They’re all gone fellas) 0 PACKAGES OF THE 2-3 WT. LEADER LINKS ARE LEFT********

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby DubL HauL » April 8th, 2020, 2:40 pm

FIGHTONSC wrote:
You might have a problem using a 3X, because you will have to almost go all the way down to the end of the leader due to taper thickness in order to fit it through/tie it to the tippet ring if using a 2 or 3 mm ring.

Thanks I don't have much experience with tippet rings and don't know enough yet about sizes etc. I got a few given to me that I started using on my euro nymphing rig and due to that began thinking about other applications.

For the small stream rig I wanted to end up with a 6-8 ft leader built from a store bought tapered leader. Wanting to modify the taper to 4 - 4 1/2 ft ending on a ring from which I'd like to add 2-4 ft of tippet material to finish the leader. If a 7 1/2-3X leader is too big would a 7 1/2-4x be better and what size ring is good for 4x?
DubL HauL

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 8th, 2020, 3:09 pm

DubL HauL wrote:
FIGHTONSC wrote:
You might have a problem using a 3X, because you will have to almost go all the way down to the end of the leader due to taper thickness in order to fit it through/tie it to the tippet ring if using a 2 or 3 mm ring.

Thanks I don't have much experience with tippet rings and don't know enough yet about sizes etc. I got a few given to me that I started using on my euro nymphing rig and due to that began thinking about other applications.

For the small stream rig I wanted to end up with a 6-8 ft leader built from a store bought tapered leader. Wanting to modify the taper to 4 - 4 1/2 ft ending on a ring from which I'd like to add 2-4 ft of tippet material to finish the leader. If a 7 1/2-3X leader is too big would a 7 1/2-4x be better and what size ring is good for 4x?

Yes, the 4X will be better, but you will still be limited by the small end taper thickness being able to adequately fit through the tippet ring and the ability to secure a decent clinch knot and still have enough room in the ring opening to attach your tippet knot.

You will probably only be able to use a three or four twist clinch knot instead of a normal 5-7 twist clinch knot. Three or four twists will work fine on little creeks for integrity and strength as long as they’re snugged up tight (which is not an easy task on tippet rings) since most of the fish you pursue will not exceed 12-14 inches.
FIGHTONSC

Postby Ants » April 9th, 2020, 9:38 pm

Thanks Jeff. I look forward to another fly fishing detail getting a better solution than what I did in the past.

Ants
Ants

Postby John Harper » April 12th, 2020, 1:35 pm

rayfound wrote: I have long been a fan of about a 4-5' furled leader + tippet on small streams - Usually about 18" of 6x.

I've had no problem getting furled leaders with tippet rings for about $7 delivered off Ebay. Makes life so easy, just carry some tippet (4lb. Trilene XL), those furled leaders last years.

I also wonder why 3wt and under lines come so long, not likely to be casting one 90 feet.

John
John Harper

Postby Ants » April 18th, 2020, 9:06 am

Here's some useful information on the Leader Links thanks to Jeff with the McGill Wright version and the three new types available.

The Wright-McGill in orange color and Leader Links in clear and fluorescent (orange) are all essentially the same size with a 0.038 diameter hole for fly line and leader. The installation for my creek rods with 3 wt lines went easily. The result looks nice and smooth.

The Leader Link version for Level Line has a larger hole (0.050 diameter) for larger size fly lines. The leader end of the resin casting has a similar 0.038 hole. I am awaiting a 4 wt DT Sylk line to check for sizes and installation.

Then, I will check some of my heavier wt rods to see where I can upgrade.

Finally, it seems the leader links are fairly easy to reuse, if needed. I would suggest doing any installation at home since the pieces are smaller and would disappear if not dropped onto a clear surface.

Ants
Ants

Postby Gary C. » April 18th, 2020, 11:26 am

Thanks for the post Ants. Mine came in the mail this week but I'm not sure when I'll put them to use.
Gary C.

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 18th, 2020, 1:25 pm

Ants wrote:Here's some useful information on the Leader Links thanks to Jeff with the McGill Wright version and the three new types available.

The Wright-McGill in orange color and Leader Links in clear and fluorescent (orange) are all essentially the same size with a 0.038 diameter hole for fly line and leader. The installation for my creek rods with 3 wt lines went easily. The result looks nice and smooth.

The Leader Link version for Level Line has a larger hole (0.050 diameter) for larger size fly lines. The leader end of the resin casting has a similar 0.038 hole. I am awaiting a 4 wt DT Sylk line to check for sizes and installation.

Then, I will check some of my heavier wt rods to see where I can upgrade.

Finally, it seems the leader links are fairly easy to reuse, if needed. I would suggest doing any installation at home since the pieces are smaller and would disappear if not dropped onto a clear surface.

Ants

The original Leader Links also had a large size, that I believe would handle up to a 9 wt. fly line.

Hope they work well for you guys!

Regards,

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Postby rayfound » April 19th, 2020, 10:30 am

I got mine, thank you. Look forward to trying.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 19th, 2020, 11:17 am

rayfound wrote:I got mine, thank you. Look forward to trying.

My pleasure....enjoy
FIGHTONSC

Postby Bernard » April 19th, 2020, 12:48 pm

Since some of my earlier posts, I have ramped-up efforts to better tune the leader game and have come up with the following. None of it is rocket science and I have yet to get to trying the furled leader approach (just got some via mail order) and not yet but soon will try those links. Anyways, for now, here are my tweaks/take-aways:

- Cheating with a pre-fab 7.5 foot machine tapered leader and cutting back a tiny bit on both ends. The result: knotless (except at butt/junction with main line) short leader. When the time comes to add tippet, I am making sure that I don't accidentally add too much length.

- Unless you are fishing with a rod under 6 feet, I see no need to have a leader longer than the rod. Again, keeping in mind that this is all about small stream stuff. This is a very loose rule of thumb but it helps one always have the leader outside of the top guide when one is going from spot to spot. Generally, I do not mind it if the leader is in behind the tip top (even if I am doing that wrap-around-the-reel trick with a much longer leader) BUT I have found that it has helped save some of the headache when fishing with my wife and others as I watch them get frustrated with the line/leader transition getting stuck, if even for a nano-second, behind the top guide.

Hope that all made sense! Oh and that said, I have begun experimenting with 1/2 of a 5wt DT on a 4wt rod and for the most part, am loving it. More on this soon.

Bernard
Bernard

Postby Justin » April 26th, 2020, 11:01 am

I got mine thanks Jeff!! I can’t wait to try them out.

Justin
Justin

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 26th, 2020, 6:42 pm

Great, Justin!

Let me know if you like them or not.

Regards,

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Postby rayfound » April 27th, 2020, 8:36 am

Bernard wrote:- Unless you are fishing with a rod under 6 feet, I see no need to have a leader longer than the rod. Again, keeping in mind that this is all about small stream stuff.

I agree with that: a leader/tippet combination about the same overall length as my rod is sort of my benchmark.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing