REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Park/Trail Closures

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Park/Trail Closures

Postby Bernard » March 23rd, 2020, 8:58 pm

Hello All,
Broadly defined be it Yosemite all the way to numerous Los Angeles City Park trails ( See: https://www.welikela.com/mrca-closes-parks-and-trails-because-angelenos-cant-keep-their-distance/ ) I am curious what closures are happening think it would be good to share insights or obervations etc. I am hoping that we are not too affected; us anglers.
Bernard
Bernard

Re: Park/Trail Closures

Postby RichardCullip » March 24th, 2020, 7:39 am

San Diego has closed beach parking lots, parks, launch ramps, popular trail heads and a few other places I like to go fishing. Access is getting tougher but, as one old enough to be in the high-risk group, I'm staying close to home. My float tube is gathering dust in the garage. I am getting out once a day to walk 3-5 miles in our neighborhood but am avoiding the more popular crowded trails.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Ants » March 24th, 2020, 7:53 am

I took out my social distance measuring tool (9 foot fly rod instead of 6). No one came close enough to be warned or measured.

I saw 4 other fishers and two were folks from Kernville. There may have been a dozen vehicles with campers along the river.

No signs of any closures. The ranger station has protocol listed if you want to talk with someone in person at their offices.

The fishing was good!

Ants
Ants

Postby Bernard » March 25th, 2020, 11:16 am

Thanks for chiming-in Ants!
Bernard

Postby Bernard » March 27th, 2020, 9:49 am

Washington state's declaration (ouch!):
https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/wdfw-closes-recreational-fishing-statewide-wake-governors-order-stay-home-stay-healthy
* Probably a response to abate shoulder-to-shoulder situations. Still ... wow.
B.
Bernard

Postby John Harper » March 27th, 2020, 3:37 pm

I was thinking of heading down to the beach after the water clears, but I think the state beaches (and some local) here in Carlsbad are closed. I know I took my motorcycle out and rode up to Oceanside Harbor, looked like the cops were closing the parking lots. Not sure which beaches may be open, since we have a mix of city and state along here. I think where I usually fish is Carlsbad, but south of the jetty is Encinitas. North of me is the campgrounds and Carlsbad State Beach.

I saw in the LA Times that maybe the PCT is closed, but I just looked at the picture, not read the article.

John
John Harper

Return to General Fly Fishing