REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Postby lucfish » February 14th, 2020, 2:47 pm

A few weeks ago on the addicts Facebook page, there was some talk about lack of posts and maybe we should let the addicts site just fade away. I believe (along with others, in particular, Jon Heaton) that there is still a place for this site. While I don't expect the viewership of pre Facebook, I still like to think that a few pictures along with a storyline is better than some quickie post on Facebook or Instagram. To prove my point, look up my last post in the warm water section. There were 16 responses. That was the most responses in four years on the warm water section. People still want to see and read fishing trips. I don't post every trip I do as some of it would be redundant as 90% of my fishing is now just at Canyon Lake, but I know many of you have trips that would be of interest to the group. Let's see if we can keep this going.

Thank for reading. Luc
lucfish

Re: Posts

Postby NorcalBob » February 14th, 2020, 3:20 pm

I agree with Luc. I have not been posting reports of late simply because I have not been fishing, not because of lack of interest or Facebook. I thank all of you that have been posting over the past months as I have been living vicariously through your reports. So keep 'em coming and I promise to do the same hopefully in the near future.
NorcalBob

Postby lucfish » February 14th, 2020, 4:04 pm

NorcalBob wrote:I agree with Luc. I have not been posting reports of late simply because I have not been fishing, not because of lack of interest or Facebook. I thank all of you that have been posting over the past months as I have been living vicariously through your reports. So keep 'em coming and I promise to do the same hopefully in the near future.

:bravo;
lucfish

Postby WanderingBlues » February 14th, 2020, 6:09 pm

I wish there were more postings. And anytime I’m on the water, you’ll see a post from me. When I read others experiences, it inspires me.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby John Harper » February 14th, 2020, 6:32 pm

It's been slow here and the surf fishing boards. But, it has been pretty cold this winter, although our rain seems to have petered out after a promising start. I'm headed back to my little creek in Baja in early April, so I will try to remember to take some photos (hopefully) and post a report.

John
John Harper

Postby Justin » February 14th, 2020, 11:06 pm

I try to post here when I have a decent trip but FB is a lot easier, but I do agree it’s not the same. I’ll try to keep posting here as I get some trips in. Should have some post worthy stuff after our Pyramid run in March.

Justin
Justin

Postby FIGHTONSC » February 15th, 2020, 8:19 am

lucfish wrote:A few weeks ago on the addicts Facebook page, there was some talk about lack of posts and maybe we should let the addicts site just fade away. I believe (along with others, in particular, Jon Heaton) that there is still a place for this site. While I don't expect the viewership of pre Facebook, I still like to think that a few pictures along with a storyline is better than some quickie post on Facebook or Instagram. To prove my point, look up my last post in the warm water section. There were 16 responses. That was the most responses in four years on the warm water section. People still want to see and read fishing trips. I don't post every trip I do as some of it would be redundant as 90% of my fishing is now just at Canyon Lake, but I know many of you have trips that would be of interest to the group. Let's see if we can keep this going.

Thank for reading. Luc

Luc,

I agree with everything you have stated above.

Personally, since I fish two or three locations regularly, and often catch the same fish repeatedly throughout the course of a season, I often feel guilty that I am boring my fellow addicts with redundancy, much like you. I’ll outright admit that I have curtailed my posts, not my fishing trips.

I feel that it is time for a “change of the guard“ (new blood) and for the perennial lurkers to step up and engage with their stories and adventures.

A lot of people comment, but very few make the effort to post their trips. We’re seeing this in the almost total absence of posting on the board that we’ve all enjoyed over the years.

My $0.02 worth.

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby Gary C. » February 15th, 2020, 12:40 pm

I know that I am guilty of not posting as much as I should also. Lots of excuses, hassle to load/host pictures, Facebook is easier, I really haven't been fishing as much, ect.

I truly believe that a major contributor to the board slowing down is the way that we have restricted ourselves. I mean the board itself. We all want to protect our fishing holes, and the resource itself. In doing so we have we have chose to eliminate much of what we all enjoyed about these forums. Also our restricted access and closed lips have discouraged new members from joining or sticking around.

I'm not saying that I don't agree with these things but I do believe that new blood is the life blood of any forum. I just think that we need to loosen it up a little so that trip reports and pictures can be about more than hard to access private lakes, open oceans, and remote backpacking trips. We have all seen sites that become closed to new members and outside views that just wither away. Any site with lets say has 50 active members will loose a couple every year. Several others will have health problems. And like many of us just not fish as much as we used to for whatever reason. Once it starts we all seem to put in less effort.

I'll admit that I don't know what the answer is. But I do think that we need find a way to open up the site and ourselves to be more appealing to new members. Even I'd enjoy seeing our reports open up and be a little more natural. I'm not saying everything should be put out there with maps and high res pictures but who are we kidding it's all being posted "live" and in real time on Facebook. I'm not suggesting that we sell out our resources for the sake of what we enjoy here but I do think there is a space for us a little more in the middle.
Gary C.

Postby Dry Fly Rie » February 15th, 2020, 10:30 pm

It's definitely been sad seeing the lack of activity on the board. Traditionally it slows down some during the winter time, but it's been especially sparse this season. I know for me personally, I just haven't been able to get out and fish much recently. I haven't touched a rod since my 2-day run to the Eastside at the end of September.

I'm personally looking forward to this upcoming Summer when I know I'll be able to wet a line with some more frequency. And after strictly spin fishing with sand crabs the past 3 summers in the surf, I'm committed to actually flinging some flies at the beach this year.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby stanbery » February 16th, 2020, 10:43 am

lucfish wrote:
NorcalBob wrote:I agree with Luc. I have not been posting reports of late simply because I have not been fishing, not because of lack of interest or Facebook. I thank all of you that have been posting over the past months as I have been living vicariously through your reports. So keep 'em coming and I promise to do the same hopefully in the near future.

:bravo;

Same here. I have not posted in awhile since I have not been fishing in too long of a time.
I do not even do facebook at all
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby rayfound » February 17th, 2020, 4:37 pm

I'll be the first to admit that mostly... its just that I haven't been fishing much between work, kids, sports, etc... my solo hobbies get crowded out.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Ants » February 17th, 2020, 8:30 pm

Gary C. wrote:I know that I am guilty of not posting as much as I should also. Lots of excuses, hassle to load/host pictures, Facebook is easier, I really haven't been fishing as much, ect.

I truly believe that a major contributor to the board slowing down is the way that we have restricted ourselves. I mean the board itself. We all want to protect our fishing holes, and the resource itself. In doing so we have we have chose to eliminate much of what we all enjoyed about these forums. Also our restricted access and closed lips have discouraged new members from joining or sticking around.

I'm not saying that I don't agree with these things but I do believe that new blood is the life blood of any forum. I just think that we need to loosen it up a little so that trip reports and pictures can be about more than hard to access private lakes, open oceans, and remote backpacking trips. We have all seen sites that become closed to new members and outside views that just wither away. Any site with lets say has 50 active members will loose a couple every year. Several others will have health problems. And like many of us just not fish as much as we used to for whatever reason. Once it starts we all seem to put in less effort.

I'll admit that I don't know what the answer is. But I do think that we need find a way to open up the site and ourselves to be more appealing to new members. Even I'd enjoy seeing our reports open up and be a little more natural. I'm not saying everything should be put out there with maps and high res pictures but who are we kidding it's all being posted "live" and in real time on Facebook. I'm not suggesting that we sell out our resources for the sake of what we enjoy here but I do think there is a space for us a little more in the middle.

It seems to me the posts as they are currently presented are good and sufficient. For folks that have fished an area, many photos give enough clue as to a more precise location.

Any one with a map or internet access can easily find dozens of useful fishing sites. Many of those sites may be better than the ones I prefer. So, I would prefer someone searches all 20 or 30 sites instead on my 3-5 favorites.

Information sharing occurs for forum members. At the most recent Volcano party, no one was holding back when telling their tales of the day. At other times, it seems forum members are willing to share by email or pm if the question comes from someone with a history of involvement.

I always enjoy reading posts. Some cover areas that I would never visit like the Asian and other overseas posts. FB has not yielded any useful information - too scattered.

Locally, the SSFF club changed information means when the Kern Board was closed. The alternative is Instagram with a slight repeat on FB. The club is growing since younger members enjoy the company of people of the same age. It makes the club gatherings more fun. However, no one makes an effort to post to this forum. The posts to Instagram, the club website, and FB seem to cover the needs.

Good topic to bring out different views.

Ants
Ants

Postby Papasequoia » February 18th, 2020, 11:49 am

I can't find the like button for your post, Luc. Stupid forum. :fireangry:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Bernard » February 19th, 2020, 7:44 pm

By spring and summer, I intend to be fishing a TON and would be beyond happy to be much more active. I like this community. Let's keep it going!
Bernard

Postby midger » February 19th, 2020, 8:53 pm

I also seldom post anymore, but I do visit often and check in to see how things are going in California. Since I moved to “Kansas” I haven’t felt I have much to offer to the gang down south as few, with the exception of Papa make it up north. Oh, there are a few who’ve moved here and we fish quite often, but I was sure y’all were tired of seeing our dinks.
I will keep reading and try to get to Volcano parties annually. If it’s any consolation I haven’t fished since November, but then it’s ski season, we have 137% of normal snowpack, and I have a season pass. When flows pick up on the O I’ll get out again and see if I can still remover how to post with pictures (or get Jeff to post the trip as he knows how)
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing