REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Best prescription glasses?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Best prescription glasses?

Postby Papasequoia » September 12th, 2019, 10:15 pm

My eyes just keep getting worse and it is time to upgrade to a stronger prescription again. The last few times I have just had the guy who works in the optometrist's office send them out for getting the prescription and polarization. He tells me that it is the same as the name brands, but I'm not so sure. Any recommendations for a company?
Color for all around use? I'll be using them for driving, hiking and tennis as well. Glass or plastic? Thanks!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: Best prescription glasses?

Postby FIGHTONSC » September 13th, 2019, 6:01 am

Jon,

Dr. Hyperopia did wonders for this guy!
ADCEA309-9FB0-4170-849E-4ADDF5543D70.jpeg
ADCEA309-9FB0-4170-849E-4ADDF5543D70.jpeg (69.68 KiB) Viewed 3796 times

We’ll see if we can get you an appointment when you get into Kansas.

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby DrCreek » September 13th, 2019, 7:01 am

Jon, I recently took a chance on an Internet company called GlassesUSA. My old pair was thrashed and just days away from death. Got on their website and found the frame I wanted. Sent them my prescription and ordered them. Several days later I get my glasses in the mail. They were exactly what I had hoped. The only reason I went with them is because I was looking for a particular shape and size frame - akin to the old John Denver granny glasses. Just can't find them anymore - I guess they aren't cool enough for this generation. I loved them so much that I ordered another pair for back-up that same day. With lenses (no special lens garbage added) I paid $108 per pair - and they're the thinnest lenses available. You just have to be pretty accurate knowing what size frame your face is capable of holding. They give you all of the numbers for each frame they sell, so there's no guesswork for you. Good luck !! I know what you're going thru !! M
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby lucfish » September 13th, 2019, 7:24 am

I can't speak for all glasses or sunglasses, but my prescription glasses were also just from the optometrist. They were ok. Over the years I tried several brands of prescription sunglasses, (Okley, Ray Ban, Costa, Smith.) Nothing but nothing compares to Maui Jim. They are the lightest, best * glasses and sunglasses, they have no equal. There bifocals are unbelievable. Instead of tipping your head in an unnatural position to read, it's just like gradual change. BUT, they have one big drawback, cost. They are twice as expensive as other name brands. For me, it's worth it as I'm always having to wear glasses now. I have 4 pairs, 2 sunglasses, amber and blue and two office glasses. Go into a store that carries them and try them on, you'll see what I mean. Plastic seems to work just fine.
lucfish

Postby Ants » September 13th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Per DrCreek-

I guess this is what you had in mind. The frames and lenses were $74 back in the early 70's. Numerous lenses have been installed. Maybe I got a lifetime warranty and didn't know it.

Ants

PS This version has bifocal lenses.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (139.1 KiB) Viewed 3758 times
Ants

Postby DrCreek » September 13th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Thats pretty much them !
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby clee » September 13th, 2019, 6:34 pm

If your glasses are made in Italy (though they also manufacture in China), it's almost a 100% certainty they are made by Luxottica. They have the license for just about all luxury or brand name glasses from Armani to Ray Ban to any other name. They own LensCrafters and have a monopoly on the eyeglass industry. If they're made by Luxottica, you're only paying a premium for the the label on the side of the frame.

As for plastic or glass I choose plastic if you're hucking heavy streamers or playing high impact sports. Glass shatters.
clee

Postby huntingtheriverking » September 13th, 2019, 8:45 pm

FIGHTONSC wrote:Jon,

Regards,

Jeff

Are those BCG glasses? Birth Control Glasses?
huntingtheriverking

Postby FIGHTONSC » September 14th, 2019, 6:14 am

huntingtheriverking wrote:
FIGHTONSC wrote:Jon,

Regards,

Jeff

Are those BCG glasses? Birth Control Glasses?

You may be onto something....in a pinch you could also use them to start a fire in a survival situation. :roll:
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby McFlyfi » September 16th, 2019, 9:44 am

I loved my Smith glasses when I was using them. But the cost got to be just too much. Last time I was tempted a couple of years ago, they were running north of $350.00. And that was for the basic photochromic polarized lenses- not the fancy "chroma pop". Now they have some other fancy lenses that run $550.00. No thanks. I break them far too often (seems like every third year).
For now, I use cheap clip ons, but will be exploring some of the discount on line options.
McFlyfi

Postby duckdog » September 18th, 2019, 7:46 pm

During the move to Boise I broke 2 pairs of glasses. Broke one pair, put on my back up pair and broke them 5 min. later. When I replaced them I got one pair of regular glasses and a pair of polarized sunglasses with brown lenses. I don't remember who makes their lenses. both are good, but , I've fished the Boise a few times since then. switching sunglasses between the new prescription glasses and my Smith sun glasses. Both have brown lenses. The Smiths are better. The new glasses cut the glare but the detail is just not as good. I can see things on the stream bottom a bit more clearly with the Smiths, and they are not prescription lenses. The new ones will be fine for driving and float tube fishing. but for spotting fish, i'll go with the Smiths. If I need prescription sunglasses for fishing in the future, I'll try to find the money for Smiths or Maui Jims. Don't know if any of this helps.
duckdog

Postby Papasequoia » September 20th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Thanks all for the replies. For me the decision is 'colored' by the fact that I am colorblind, so I often can't see the darn fish anyways! For me, their camouflage is great. I actually need a couple of pair, so I will probably do a quickie pair at lenscrafters or something and try one of the pricier ones as well then compare.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Ants » September 21st, 2019, 9:05 pm

Colorblind - oops, I forgot.

That situation puts things out of my realm. I wonder if there is a analytical approach, or it is try - and check for results?!?

Ants
Ants

Return to General Fly Fishing