REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

music

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

music

Postby gabe » August 5th, 2008, 8:11 pm

alrighty...
so I'm working on ripping a disc for my next trip out on the road.
I listen to most music, except for classical and maybe some others.
Most of the time I have Country, Classic Rock, and Alternative on my drives.
Such artist as:
CCR
Lynard Skynard
Doobie Brothers
Eagles
Journey
Phil Collins
Boston
Tim Mcgraw
Brad Paisley
Brooks & Dunn
Josh Turner
Sublime
Killers
Jack Johnson

Just to name a few

This pretty much is what I also listen to on the vice.
Anyhow, I'm not much of a music guy. Pretty much limited to what you could call "main stream" music.
Haven't had much time getting into anything new yet. So what kind of music are you all listening to?
Don't give me none of that Village People crap!!! ha!
oh I have recently started getting back into J-Pop. I know * huh... i don't give a rats butt, the chicks are cute.
k lets hear it, and no bagging on anyone except your selves please. Like I said, I know J-pop may be kinda * to some, but IDGAF...

thanks,

gabe

btw, maybe some of yea can refer some songs doing with fishing. Like my favorite by Brad Paisley, "I'm going to miss her."
gabe

Re: music

Postby JGray » August 5th, 2008, 9:16 pm

The tradition ColoradoXJ and I have had for awhile isn't music but a Jeff Foxworthy comedy album. I know we are strange. He does insist on Pantera once in awhile though. At least now I know where he gets it.
JGray

Postby darrin terry » August 5th, 2008, 9:22 pm

Crap. Can O Worms.

Over 1000 albums on my MacBook. An additional 100-200 on my G4.

3 Doors Down, Jackson Browne, Metallica, Whiskeytown, the Killers, Bob/Peter/Bunny, Eagles, Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, David Lindley, Jellyfish, Agent Orange, Alison Krauss, Bad Manners, Blue October, The The, Neville Brothers, Nil Lara, Pink Martini, the Pogues, Madness, John Denver, Jim Croce, Ivan Rosenberg, Imogen Heap, Gorillaz, Dean Martin, the Cure, Louis Prima, Louis Armstrong…

Basically I don't like disco, industrial (generally) and most country. Other than that, I try to limit my musical dislike to individual artists.

Lately, I've been listening to bluegrass & dobro guitar (Ivan Rosenberg).

Darrin
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby STMFlyGuide » August 5th, 2008, 9:36 pm

I have been hearing these song recently... I really think it is quality music..Wildfly probably will not think so though, I like hard stuff as well though... I am 31, so ya hard stuff and quality music like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq0tAoO3 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CcOx1ix ... re=related
Mammoth Lakes Fly Fishing Guide and Fly Shop in Bishop Ca

http://www.sierratroutmagnet.com
STMFlyGuide

Postby darrin terry » August 5th, 2008, 9:44 pm

Interesting that you picked two Neil Young tunes. And you say you like hard stuff. :D Still, quality will out, eh?
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby STMFlyGuide » August 5th, 2008, 10:05 pm

Hey, One of those is a Johnny Cash song... I like all music I guess..Like I said I have just been hearing those songs recently and it is catchy..ask me next month I will be on to something else... My dad is also a concert Flamence guitarist, I play some of that from growing up with it. I have three classical guitars at my house. The Emotional content is deep without all the words... Foreign music I like as well ..Saw metallica in concert right before coming to CA four years ago. some non overplayed Linkin parks songs kick some azz as well. What about Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. I almost forgot Korn... saw them in Mexico City.... remember I was in high school in the 90's..guess I am just full of contradictions Darrin ;) ...David

STMFlyGuide

Postby darrin terry » August 5th, 2008, 10:26 pm

I know what you mean about the contradictions. I really listen to a more varied selection of music than most folks I know.

I know that it was Johnny Cash singing it, but Heart of Gold is one of Neil Young's most famous tunes. There is even a documentary about him with that title. Thought it interesting that those are what have come up for you lately. I am not a big fan of his, but he is one of those artists whose contributions is without doubt. Cool. Kind of like Led Zeppelin. Not a fan, but their influence in modern music is major. Credited with basically creating the Heavy Metal genre.

Johnny rocks by the way. I've been listening to a live disc of Johnny Cash & Willie Nelson lately a good bit. Regular rotation in my player.
darrin terry

Postby STMFlyGuide » August 5th, 2008, 10:35 pm

Darrin,
Who actually wrote that song first? I do not even know..I had not even heard it until I came across it somewhere on the net recently..Overall music takes up about 1% of my thoughts while fly flinging takes up about 90% percent leaving about 9% for some unmentionables... :lol: ;) :D David

STMFlyGuide

Postby darrin terry » August 5th, 2008, 10:58 pm

Well, you gots to have your priorities in order. :D :D :D :lol:

I like that order. I shall make it mine, uh, after work. And on weekends and holidays and vacations that is.

Oh yeah, work. I guess a definition could be in order: 'work' is what happens when you are busy making fishing plans and realize you need more money to make the trip happen. Now in your case, just substitute the word 'fishing' for the word 'work'. Then add the words 'showing someone how/where/what to fish' for those times when you are guiding. *, you have cool job. :mrgreen: with envy.
darrin terry

Postby anacrime » August 6th, 2008, 12:41 am

Neutral Milk Hotel
Spoon
The Shins
Nickel Creek
The Fratellis
Matt Costa
The Decemberists
Regina Spektor
Sondre Lerch
Sufjan Stevens
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

All great driving music
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby flybob » August 6th, 2008, 11:07 am

WHAT! NO PAT METHENY! :o

"Letters from Home" my fave!

fb
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Type Cast » August 6th, 2008, 12:10 pm

Let me just say this.......

Whatever you, if you are driving up 395, alone, through the high desert at night, under no circumstances should you listen to THE DOORS.

talk about getting the heebie jeebies
Type Cast

Postby Justin » August 6th, 2008, 12:14 pm

John Butler Trio
Xavier Rudd
G Love & Special Sauce
311 (I think you said that already)
The Beautiful Girls
Slightly Stoopid
Mishka
Donavin Frankenrider
Hary Manx

Just my 2 c

Justin
Justin

Postby darrin terry » August 6th, 2008, 3:13 pm

Sounds of silence? I opened and played it but got no joy thru the speakers. My work computer does have weak speakers though. I'll try again when I get home.
darrin terry

Postby Papasequoia » August 6th, 2008, 5:56 pm

I was a sophmore in high school when Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon came out (1973). I had a friend named Ricky Robinson whose parents both worked. One day he told me and a couple of other guys that he had this great album that we just had to hear. So four or five of us skipped school and headed over to his place. We took out an ounce of pot (the good stuff, $20 an ounce instead of the usual $15) and dumped it out onto the Big Bambu album which could be opened like a book and got all of the seeds out of the oz. then sat back and smoked several joints. Ricky put on the album and I can still remember several things about it. The first was how some of the spacier songs would just carry you along with them with a great rhythm that hooked you whether you were stoned or not. That's part of the reason this album is still a classic today. The second thing I remember is all of those alarm clocks and bells going off and scaring the crap out of all of us as we had all been lying on our backs on the beds in the room spacing out to the music. The most important thing about that album for me though was the lyrics to the song "Time." I give partial credit to those lyrics for changing my life so that I didn't just turn into a stoner 'fritter and wast[ing] the hours in an offhand way' then finding that one day 'ten years had got behind [me]'. For some reason, every time in life I have found myself thinking of just resigning myself to wherever I had found myself, that song would come on a radio somewhere and inspire me to keep going and striving for something more. So, I would have to say if you are looking for classic rock, that is one must have album.

Recently though I found myself driving alone late at night and a song came on the radio that made me think of this album more than anything I've ever heard. It's by Death Cab for Cutie and the song is called "I Will Possess Your Heart." Something about the rhythms and the repetitiveness of them and the lyrics just reminded me so much of Dark Side that I had to go out and get it. So, if you are into it and are looking for something newer, try that one as well. The album is called Narrow Stairs.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing