REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

East Side Rondezvous - a TR

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

East Side Rondezvous - a TR

Postby Artin » January 15th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Packed with intel on birds I headed up to the what is and always be an area that's very special to me. The East Side! I caught my first respectable trout here. I learned how to fly fish here which as time passed turned into fly tying and eventually trying to build bamboo fly rods. We didn't camp but rented a house. (a nice plug for AirBnb) Got a cozy place with a grill and the whole 9. Arrived at around 10 pm Friday night and went in. 1st things 1st. Start the fire and get those kebobs on the grill. We took marinated filet mignon tikka, marinated pork tikka, lamb chops and another type to tikka called ikkibir made with pork belly. Some veggies and lavash bread. Skewered up and ended with food coma. But when you're eating that good in air that clean with some nice single malt and quality tequila blanco it happens.
Saturday morning we woke and made breakfast. Not as elaborate as the dinner the night before. OJ, Tea and cream cheese and bagels. Hit the spot though. Went to the market and got coffee and hit the road. We had decided that we would look for birds in the morning until about 10-11 am and then start fishing. we went into a canyon where there was plenty of cover and a nice source for water in dem dar hills. Got out and assembled the OU's and hit the hills. We walked and walked. Stopped to do some calls and listen in the quiet of mountains and nothing. We continued to hike up and down a few more hills and canyons but still saw nothing. It looked very good for birds. We saw immense amounts of foot traffic (Deer) Fresh deer droppings and even deer. Not one bird.
So we decided to go fish. And I mean what a great idea that became.
I was not expecting this but it turned out that new honey holes can be found in an area that I have fished for about 26 years or so. We hit the jackpot. Not too much pressure. Mostly locals. Not the catch and release area. There were fish rising everywhere. Eating midges. (I need a good midge pattern). One method that worked was when I casted out a 2 fly rig (2 dries) and would very sloooowly pull them in. I would get hit almost every cast. We fished until dark and I lost count of the number of fish at that point. My brother and friends did really well too. Some nice size fish came out. A couple in the 3-4 lb range. (Not on midges). I did manage to hook a carp on a small black zebra which was a 1st for me there.
Sunday morning we went to our favorite tourist trap called Schats and I got some Olive Bread for home and made another stop to pick up some Baxter honey. I really like the clover one and only like their honey. I have tried others to see over the years but to me at least nothing comes close to the quality of honey Baxter produces.
Around 9:30-10 am we hit the river again with the same results. I switched over to a 2 zebra rig. 1st fly was an olive size 18 or 20 and the dropper was smaller. I mean I couldn’t keep the fish off. Almost every cast ended with a take. Not a catch, but a take. It was epic. One of the best catching trip I have had in a looooong time. I didn’t even change flies. It was good. I will be going back with the kids in a couple of weeks as this spot also is ideal for teaching fly fishing to the youngen.

Backdrop of some sexy mountains. One day I'll go nuts and buy a house in Bishop. I never tire of seeing the sierras with snow on them.

Proof positive that carp will take zebra midges in the winter. lol

Average and respectable sized browns that live here

we spoke to people about the birds as we didn't find or hear any. Apparently there were quail around in the beginning of the season in good numbers and were pushed off because of the amount of pressure. I was really looking forward to finding some and that didn't happen.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed my story.

Artin

PS. My grammar may not be the best but I know there are a couple of teachers here that can help. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Re: East Side Rondezvous - a TR

Postby Dry Fly Rie » January 15th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Sounds like an awesome trip. Glad you got into the fish. Thanks for sharing.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby stanbery » January 15th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Artin

Sorry about the birds but it still looks like you had a very nice time.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Artin » January 15th, 2019, 7:44 pm

It was a fantastic trip. The birds wised up and left probably deeper. I am not giving up on them. I have never hunted there there is probably a learning curve.

Artin
Artin

Postby WanderingBlues » January 16th, 2019, 6:41 am

Well done! The brown is a stunner. I really miss that place.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby FIGHTONSC » January 16th, 2019, 8:16 am

Nice report, Artin!

Like Curtis, I also miss that part of California.

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby dray » January 17th, 2019, 10:36 am

WTG Artin, thanks for the TR
dray

Postby lucfish » January 17th, 2019, 10:23 pm

Great report, love the brown. Thanks for posting.
lucfish

Postby Wildman » January 18th, 2019, 10:07 am

Artin-great trip report and photos! That area is like heaven this time of year. One of these days am going to have to try the airBnB thing/
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Artin » January 20th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Thanks guys. I'll throw more up as I go more often. I want to do more of two things this year. Hit the Kern river drainage more and the surf. Both of which are a reasonably close to me. Not to mention Castaic and Pyramid lake.

Wildman wrote:Artin-great trip report and photos! That area is like heaven this time of year. One of these days am going to have to try the airBnB thing/

It's very convenient actually. You should give it a go. With the reasonable pricing and comfort and the amenities of a house you can't go wrong. We normally also look for an onsite bbq. preferably charcoal.

Artin
Artin

Return to General Fly Fishing