REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Chris Laskodi Redding Fire Update

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Chris Laskodi Redding Fire Update

Postby NorcalBob » July 28th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Since my son, Chris Laskodi, was active in the SJ flyfishing community when he lived here, I have received some inquiries about his status during the Carr (Redding) Fire. So I figured I'd post an update here for more to see. First off, good news, Chris, his wife Liz, new baby Charlie, and dog Bruce are all safe and sound and have safely evacuated to grandparents house in Chico. Chris lives in the mandatory fire evacuation zone in West Redding and his neighborhood was impacted by the fire. Fortunately, Chris' house is on the southwest side of the subdivision, and that part appears to have escaped the brunt of the fire. However, as of now, there has not been confirmation of that as access has not been allowed. Unfortunately, the north side of the subdivision was impacted by the fire and about a dozen homes were damaged/destroyed. The fire has now been knocked down in his area and has spread to the southwest, past their subdivision. They are not out of the woods yet, but unless the fire radically changes direction it's looking good that their home will likely escape serious damage. Chris can not get to work since the fire has closed all the major roads to his fishery biologist job on the Trinity River at Weaverville, and it looks like he's going to be on an extended vacation. They are not expecting the evacuation order to be lifted for their neighborhood for several days due to infrastructure damage so they will be staying at grandparents house in Chico, and grandma/grandpa are enjoying an extended visit with their grandson. Chris is going to try and walk in to his house today to retrieve some more important belongings and I will post updates as I get more information.
NorcalBob

Re: Chris Laskodi Redding Fire Update

Postby Dry Fly Rie » July 28th, 2018, 1:40 pm

Glad your son and his family are okay, Bob.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby RichardCullip » July 28th, 2018, 1:46 pm

Thanks for the good news update
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Papasequoia » July 28th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Based on the latest news reports this fire is still out of control. Hoping and wishing for the best for Chris and his family as well as everyone else in the area.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby NorcalBob » July 28th, 2018, 4:23 pm

The fire is still burning out of control (< 5% containment) and is very dangerous. Death toll up to five. It's almost doubled in size from yesterday to over 80,000 acres. The only somewhat good news is that it is currently burning towards rural/unpopulated areas instead of towards the city of Redding. However, winds are expected to shift soon and that may change.
Papasequoia wrote:Based on the latest news reports this fire is still out of control. Hoping and wishing for the best for Chris and his family as well as everyone else in the area.
NorcalBob

Postby NorcalBob » July 28th, 2018, 6:15 pm

Update as of 6 PM. The situation is still very volatile. Even though the front of the fire is over 3 miles from Chris' house, a spot fire erupted near his house (two streets over) this afternoon. Fortunately, there are plenty of fire assets stationed in his neighborhood and they quickly contained the fire. Unfortunately, it ain't over yet, not by a long shot. Chris cancelled his walk in attempt due to the spot fire.
NorcalBob

Postby NorcalBob » July 30th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Good news finally! Chris' home and entire street is completely undamaged! The fire swung to the north around a small hill and completely avoided their section of the subdivision. Mandatory evacuation still in place though, and since the northern portion of the subdivision had many damaged/destroyed homes along with infrastructure damage, they probably won't be allowed to reoccupy any time soon.
NorcalBob

Postby lucfish » July 30th, 2018, 6:29 pm

Great news Bob. I can say there are 3 guides I know that were in the line of fire and for the most part their houses were saved. Unfortunately some of their neighbors were not as fortunate. Here is a picture of Brads house and backyard. Lost most his trees and vinyl fence but the house is intact.

Imagetemporary image upload
lucfish

Postby stanbery » July 30th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Good news Bob

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Papasequoia » July 31st, 2018, 12:07 pm

Great news, Bob. Thanks for letting us know.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby tomsakai » July 31st, 2018, 1:20 pm

lucfish wrote:Great news Bob. I can say there are 3 guides I know that were in the line of fire and for the most part their houses were saved.

Luc, was wondering about Dave Neal's home? The only other guide I know up there is Scott Saiki who said a couple of days ago that his home was ok.
tomsakai

Postby NorcalBob » August 1st, 2018, 10:46 am

More good news!!!! Even though Chris' subdivision is still under mandatory evacuation orders, they are allowing residents access to inspect their properties and retrieve belongings. Chris went in this morning and his house and property are completely undamaged and there does not appear to be any smoke damage. Police and fire presence is very high with 3 police cars and a fire truck on just his street alone!
NorcalBob

Return to General Fly Fishing