REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Line Recommendations

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Line Recommendations

Postby John Harper » May 25th, 2018, 9:10 am

Okay, so I'm about the pull the trigger on a 5wt TFO Axiom 2 rod. I have some Amazon points to purchase some new line as well. I recall Mark (flyaddict) mentioning Rio Gold as pretty good line. Would that be a good match for my new rod?

Looks like I have a place to stop/stay in Sun Valley, so the Wood River, Silver Creek, Henry's Fork and Yellowstone look like reasonable destinations for me this summer and probably sweep south through Wyoming on the way back south.

John
John Harper

Re: Line Recommendations

Postby FIGHTONSC » May 25th, 2018, 9:28 am

John Harper wrote:Okay, so I'm about the pull the trigger on a 5wt TFO Axiom 2 rod. I have some Amazon points to purchase some new line as well. I recall Mark (flyaddict) mentioning Rio Gold as pretty good line. Would that be a good match for my new rod?

Looks like I have a place to stop/stay in Sun Valley, so the Wood River, Silver Creek, Henry's Fork and Yellowstone look like reasonable destinations for me this summer and probably sweep south through Wyoming on the way back south.

John

You might also try the Big Lost since you're going to be in the Silver Creek area.

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby John Harper » May 25th, 2018, 10:46 am

FIGHTONSC wrote:
John Harper wrote:Okay, so I'm about the pull the trigger on a 5wt TFO Axiom 2 rod. I have some Amazon points to purchase some new line as well. I recall Mark (flyaddict) mentioning Rio Gold as pretty good line. Would that be a good match for my new rod?

John

You might also try the Big Lost since you're going to be in the Silver Creek area.

Regards,

Jeff

Never heard of it. I'll have to look it up. I'm hoping some smaller creeks are in the area as well.

John
John Harper

Postby NorcalBob » May 25th, 2018, 2:31 pm

All of the current generation flylines from major manufacturers are fantastic lines. You won't go wrong buying any of them. Rio, Orvis, Sci Angler, Airflo, Wulff, and on and on and on are all fantastic. Let your budget, product availability, and fishing requirements be the decision maker, not a random person on an internet forum. . Fly line choice should be determined by what you are actually going to use the flyline for, since every manufacturer has slightly different tapers, specs, etc. Rio Gold, for example, it's a fantastic flyline, but it is an overlined flyline (ie heavier than AFTMA specs) for easier distance casting. If you're planning on fishing spring creeks for fussy trout, it may not be the best line for that job because it's not a "delicate presentation" line. It's impossible for anyone but you to know exactly what line is best for you and your needs.
NorcalBob

Postby FIGHTONSC » May 25th, 2018, 3:21 pm

NorcalBob wrote:All of the current generation flylines from major manufacturers are fantastic lines. You won't go wrong buying any of them. Rio, Orvis, Sci Angler, Airflo, Wulff, and on and on and on are all fantastic. Let your budget, product availability, and fishing requirements be the decision maker, not a random person on an internet forum. . Fly line choice should be determined by what you are actually going to use the flyline for, since every manufacturer has slightly different tapers, specs, etc. Rio Gold, for example, it's a fantastic flyline, but it is an overlined flyline (ie heavier than AFTMA specs) for easier distance casting. If you're planning on fishing spring creeks for fussy trout, it may not be the best line for that job because it's not a "delicate presentation" line. It's impossible for anyone but you to know exactly what line is best for you and your needs.

Everything Bob said is correct about all of the manufacturers lines being very good.

A line you might consider is either Cabelas Prestige Plus or their Prestige Premier. Both are made by Rio (to Rio Specs) and like most Rio lines they are 1/2 weight over-weighted. At the Cabelas shop and at the fly fishing shows I could not tell them apart when demo casting except for the color differences and I also could not tell the difference between the plus and the premier which runs about twenty bucks more. I probably have 15 reels with the Prestige Plus lines on them and just picked up some more lines because they are currently on sale.

I don't work for Cabela's anymore, so I'm not putting in a plug for them...just giving you my two cents worth from my own experience.

Best regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby John Harper » May 25th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Interesting. I've been using the Allen Flyfishing line on my 3wt and it looks and feels the same as my SA Mastery line. I was looking at their (Allen) premium line, which looks just like Rio Gold but $20 less. I'm not very knowledgeable about the intricacies of lines, and I have no idea what to expect in Idaho or Yellowstone. I just know my 7 1/2 foot 3wt might not be useful in all the conditions I find.

John
John Harper

Postby NorcalBob » May 25th, 2018, 3:52 pm

If budget/cost is the most important requirement to you, then let that drive your flyline selection. As Jeff said, Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc have their lines made by a major manufacturer and they're all good (not all that familiar with Allen, but I'd bet that they also do) and you can save some serious $$$$. If you're just looking for an all around flyline to do many things well (as opposed to say a spring creek line), I'd go with cost as my driver.
John Harper wrote:Interesting. I've been using the Allen Flyfishing line on my 3wt and it looks and feels the same as my SA Mastery line. I was looking at their (Allen) premium line, which looks just like Rio Gold but $20 less. I'm not very knowledgeable about the intricacies of lines, and I have no idea what to expect in Idaho or Yellowstone. I just know my 7 1/2 foot 3wt might not be useful in all the conditions I find.

John
NorcalBob

Postby fly addict » May 25th, 2018, 6:56 pm

John,
Rio Grand fly line may be a better choice for that rod. It is designed for fast action rods and will load the rod easier at all distances because it is half a wt heavier.
https://www.rioproducts.com/products/floating/rio-grand

Rio Gold is a true wt flyline and works better with rods that are not fast action. It works great with my Winston IM6s & WTs which would be considered medium action rods.
Here is a review. https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blog/ ... endations/
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Return to General Fly Fishing