REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

I didn't get the Memo

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

I didn't get the Memo

Postby gabe » August 4th, 2008, 3:21 pm

so this is where everyone has flocked to eh...?
tsk tsk... thanks for telling gabe...
gabe

Re: I didn't get the Memo

Postby STMFlyGuide » August 4th, 2008, 3:36 pm

Gabe! Good to see you here man!! I heard you are going to the E. Walker in search of some big browns... Make sure you get ahold of me before you go and I will point you in the right direction...David
Mammoth Lakes Fly Fishing Guide and Fly Shop in Bishop Ca

http://www.sierratroutmagnet.com
STMFlyGuide

Postby gabe » August 4th, 2008, 3:50 pm

David!!!
I'll shoot you a call this week if you still got the same number.
Or I'll just shoot you a message.

Thanks,

gabe
gabe

Postby STMFlyGuide » August 4th, 2008, 4:34 pm

I do have the same number!!
Mammoth Lakes Fly Fishing Guide and Fly Shop in Bishop Ca

http://www.sierratroutmagnet.com
STMFlyGuide

Postby flybob » August 5th, 2008, 5:36 am

gabe wrote:so this is where everyone has flocked to eh...?
tsk tsk... thanks for telling gabe...

And all this time I thought YOU were snubbing us!

Glad to see you here dude!
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby anacrime » August 5th, 2008, 9:46 am

dang he found this site
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Papasequoia » August 5th, 2008, 3:19 pm

I think the thing to do is change your name here so your reputation doesn't follow you. :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Sasha » August 6th, 2008, 8:34 am

Very true DR. I was thinking of posting on another site the URL for here but then I decided that would be a bad idea. I have PMed a few people who I fish with over there but I was talking to one of my friends and he said that he signed up but never got the conformation email. I asked and he said he used his correct email address.
Sasha

Postby Flyjunkie » August 7th, 2008, 7:22 am

we would have had to Kill you if we sent the Memo.... :lol:
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby stlhdr » August 7th, 2008, 9:56 am

this turned into a pretty interesting thread, and so, for my inaugural post...I will suggest that...

those of you who WILL emerge as the big guns here should take heed...and don't turn this forum into a cultural clone of the other(s) you are talking about...because as an outsider looking into those forums I find the interplay sad/comic/silly in many cases.

While I appreciate the knowledge that can be gained by asking reasonable questions about "topics" I find the rest of the interplay and treatment of those who don't fit the mold petty.

I hope this will be different...-Mike
stlhdr

Postby anacrime » August 7th, 2008, 10:01 am

stlhdr wrote:this turned into a pretty interesting thread, and so, for my inaugural post...I will suggest that...

those of you who WILL emerge as the big guns here should take heed...and don't turn this forum into a cultural clone of the other(s) you are talking about...because as an outsider looking into those forums I find the interplay sad/comic/silly in many cases.

While I appreciate the knowledge that can be gained by asking reasonable questions about "topics" I find the rest of the interplay and treatment of those who don't fit the mold petty.

I hope this will be different...-Mike
Agreed about the "mold" thing. So far it looks like we have a whole freakin BUS load of misfits, characters, goons, and style (mostly due to flybob's presence).
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby stlhdr » August 7th, 2008, 10:38 am

way to go flybob!
stlhdr

Postby Papasequoia » August 7th, 2008, 12:02 pm

stlhdr wrote:those of you who WILL emerge as the big guns here should take heed...and don't turn this forum into a cultural clone of the other(s) you are talking about...because as an outsider looking into those forums I find the interplay sad/comic/silly in many cases.

I hate to be a pessimist, I really do, but unfortunately I usually see the glass as half empty. I think what you have espoused is a noble sentiment but one that has about a glass half full/half empty chance. First of all, you are talking about a group of human beings who all have their own opinion which they feel is the right one, and a forum where they feel they have a right to express themselves. There are just certain topics that are going to generate controversy no matter what or on which forum they pop up. It will be interesting to see what happens when topics such as guns in the wilderness, who is responsible for the trash along river banks, pictures of a fish lying on it's side in the dirt, etc. show up here as they inevitably will.

Personally, I have no problem with these and similar controversial issues being discussed on a forum. There are always newbies who need to see that these are issues that people take seriously and I think frequent discussion of them is important. Nevertheless, while I think that the discussions are important, there are two things about where those discussions often head that really bother me a lot.

1) Responses from some that are rude, arrogant, abusive, sanctimonious, demeaning, insulting, etc. rather than a calm, rational, polite display of one's point of view.
2) When issues such as race, social class, politics or religion become entangled in the discussion.

I believe that if those two traps can be avoided that many of the issues that have generated controversy on other forums can be avoided and discussed in a rational manner. I hope that makes sense and that I have explained it fully, because I am on my way out the door for 6 days of fishing and backpacking so I won't be around to clarify myself. Oh, by the way, while in the backcountry I will be fishing a stream that is really overpopulated with small brookies, so I might keep a couple to eat. Discussion anyone? :o :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby darrin terry » August 7th, 2008, 12:16 pm

spandoc wrote:Discussion anyone?

Um, enjoy. :D I got no issues with your eating a few trout. Plus, while I cannot confirm it having not caught a brookie over 9 inches, I do hear that they are the best tasting of the trout. Have fun on the trip.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby anacrime » August 7th, 2008, 12:49 pm

spandoc wrote:who is reponsible for the trash along river banks

Definitely rednecks :lol: :lol: :lol:

I made a comment about rednecks and trash on the Kern on the other board and even included smileys and obvious language that it was a joke. I still got comments and PMs from people who were offended, or at least pretended to be offended. One guy even told me that he's probably a redneck and that "85%+" of the campers on the Kern are Hispanic. To his defense, he also said that one group is not necessarily responsible (which is obvious, I thought, when I made the joke). Perhaps it was in poor taste. I don't get offended easily so maybe my judgment is off.

One issue that I feel passionately about is nature. I too am guilty of leaving a bigger footprint than I should but strive to be better about not impacting my surroundings, and that includes the fish I catch. I have in the past gotten upset when people post pictures of man handled trout or trout covered in dirt. Unfortunately I didn't handle said issues with as much class as I would have liked to. Live and learn, I suppose.
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing