REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Yellowstone Bans Felt Wading Soles

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Yellowstone Bans Felt Wading Soles

Postby NorcalBob » March 15th, 2018, 11:23 am

tomsakai wrote:
clee wrote:
NorcalBob wrote:I got less than a year on my Korkers until the retaining strap that secures the sole to the boot cracked and separated. Now they are useless. No more Korkers for me. :fireangry:
It's a great idea having interchangable soles but.......... :booty:

I'm with Bob. Korkers blow. I'll forever trash them to anyone who will listen.

I know Korkers has updated their boots several times. Clee and NorcalBob, are your boots the latest models? Did you see if Korkers would warranty their boots? Very curious since the Yellowstone ban has me considering Korkers due to their interchangeable soles. Thanks.

Mine are the KGB model which uses the latest Vibram sole. I did contact Korkers and they told me one year replacement for soles under warranty. By the time I got around to contacting them it was 13 months. So, no love there. They did offer to sell me replacement soles for $50, but I declined. My boots came with two sets of different soles so I just put on the studded rubbers ones. I've used them twice and guess what, the retaining strap is starting to crack again and will likely fail on the next trip. No more Korkers for me!!!! :fireangry:
NorcalBob

Postby DarkShadow » March 15th, 2018, 3:16 pm

NorcalBob wrote:No more Korkers for me!!!! :fireangry:

A bunch of people tout the "new generation" of Korkers, but they lost my business day 10 of wearing the first pair of boots.

Nothing like losing soles in the mud, then having your buddies ask you what happened to your boots.

The expression "you only get one chance to make a 1st impression," never held water, until I bought my first pair of Korkers.

They could be the most amazing boot on earth right now, but I wouldn't know, simply because they lost me years back.
DarkShadow

Postby NorcalBob » March 15th, 2018, 3:54 pm

DarkShadow wrote:
NorcalBob wrote:No more Korkers for me!!!! :fireangry:

A bunch of people tout the "new generation" of Korkers, but they lost my business day 10 of wearing the first pair of boots.

Nothing like losing soles in the mud, then having your buddies ask you what happened to your boots.

The expression "you only get one chance to make a 1st impression," never held water, until I bought my first pair of Korkers.

They could be the most amazing boot on earth right now, but I wouldn't know, simply because they lost me years back.

I agree 100% with this!!!! :bravo;
I think the Korkers interchangable soles idea is a fantastic idea and a great feature in a boot. Unfortunately, their execution of it is a total fail for me personally. I had only about 10 trips on the first set before the strap cracked and broke (less than a year on the boots), and my second set of soles have only been used twice before the strap cracked and it will likely fail next time I use them (which I won't be using them since I already see a potential fail). I'm sticking with Simms wading boots nowadays. No more Korkers for me!!!! :fireangry: :gun:
NorcalBob

Postby tomsakai » March 15th, 2018, 4:29 pm

NorcalBob wrote: :fireangry:
It's a great idea having interchangable soles but.......... :booty:

Clee wrote: I'm with Bob. Korkers blow. I'll forever trash them to anyone who will listen.

NorcalBob wrote: Mine are the KGB model which uses the latest Vibram sole. I did contact Korkers and they told me one year replacement for soles under warranty. By the time I got around to contacting them it was 13 months. So, no love there. They did offer to sell me replacement soles for $50, but I declined. My boots came with two sets of different soles so I just put on the studded rubbers ones. I've used them twice and guess what, the retaining strap is starting to crack again and will likely fail on the next trip. No more Korkers for me!!!! :fireangry:

Thanks Clee, Bob, and everyone else who answered. Will have to think hard before I buy Korkers.
tomsakai

Postby clee » March 15th, 2018, 7:41 pm

IMG_1811.JPG
IMG_1811.JPG (132.36 KiB) Viewed 2281 times

Paid a visit to Marriott's today. Look at what I saw. "All conditions. All terrain." Clearly marketed as light wading applications. Tom, I'd recommend buy something else.

Sorry but that photo won't rotate.
clee

Postby Wingnut » March 16th, 2018, 8:38 am

I've worn my Korkers from Slovenia to Oregon and never had a problem with them. I only use the studded bottoms. Yes, I have had to replace the bottoms twice over the past 6 years but other than that I have had zero issues. So I guess, to each their own. My 0.02
Wingnut

Postby DrCreek » March 16th, 2018, 2:45 pm

I only wear felt. One, because felt doesn't make me feel like I'm going to slide across the dance floor. And two, because they tend to "freak out" WanderingBlues. :funnyup: When I was last with Curtis up on the east side, I wore Simms RipRaps for a long dayhike session and just about lost all the skin on my knees and toe tops. So felt wins ! :bananadance:
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Papasequoia » March 16th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Wingnut wrote:I've worn my Korkers from Slovenia to Oregon and never had a problem with them. I only use the studded bottoms. Yes, I have had to replace the bottoms twice over the past 6 years but other than that I have had zero issues. So I guess, to each their own. My 0.02

Yes, I guess an endorsement should end with YMMV. I'm going on three years with mine now and never had a problem (also the KGB model). It saved me in Alaska to have that second option. I have swapped them back and forth (felt to rubber and vice versa) and no problem with the straps. Great for hiking in somewhere then switching to felt if needed. But, yeah, YMMV.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing