REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Intriguing Legal Strategy

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Intriguing Legal Strategy

Postby WanderingBlues » July 13th, 2017, 8:25 am

An article on possible use of imminent domain and crowd funding to purchase back land from LADWP. Anyone want to weigh in on what could definitely impact fishing opportunities.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-owens-valley-eminent-domain-20170712-story.html
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: Intriguing Legal Strategy

Postby DrCreek » July 13th, 2017, 9:07 am

Whatever happens, I'm sure anyone losing money will find another way to get their hands deeper into our pockets to recoup any monies they feel they've lost.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby NorcalBob » July 13th, 2017, 9:13 am

Please remember that under state eminent domain laws, Inyo County would be required to pay "fair market value" for the lands they want. A big difference is using eminent domain to acquire the referenced landfill versus trying to get back all the "purchased" land in which LADWP acquired the water rights. Inyo County might have the funds to pay "fair market value" for the landfill (that's just speculation on my part that they have money), but I seriously doubt that they have the funds to acquire all LADWP lands. Plus, there's the added problem of valuation of said water rights that LADWP would be very reluctant to give up. IMNSHO, this is nothing more than masculine chest beating on Inyo County's part and will go nowhere (since I doubt the county has enough money). :Pop:
NorcalBob

Postby WanderingBlues » July 13th, 2017, 9:45 am

I'm not a fan of the way LA wastes water, but I defer to the esteemed BobK on this matter when he indicates that public fishing access exists because LADWP has allowed it, whereas private ranches would probably have not.

I actually thought post 9/11, access would be curtailed given the strategic nature of the water. I was surprised it wasn't fenced.

We'll see what happens.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby lucfish » July 13th, 2017, 9:57 am

WanderingBlues wrote:I'm not a fan of the way LA wastes water, but I defer to the esteemed BobK on this matter when he indicates that public fishing access exists because LADWP has allowed it, whereas private ranches would probably have not.

I actually thought post 9/11, access would be curtailed given the strategic nature of the water. I was surprised it wasn't fenced.

We'll see what happens.

You are correct.
lucfish

Postby DarkShadow » July 13th, 2017, 10:43 am

WanderingBlues wrote:I'm not a fan of the way LA wastes water, but I defer to the esteemed BobK on this matter when he indicates that public fishing access exists because LADWP has allowed it, whereas private ranches would probably have not.

Hit the nail on the head.
DarkShadow

Postby acorad » July 13th, 2017, 11:33 am

Not to mention the Owens Valley could very easily - perhaps very probably - have ended up looking more like Bakersfield or Fresno than any kind of ranch.

Andy
acorad

Postby DarkShadow » July 13th, 2017, 2:40 pm

acorad wrote:Not to mention the Owens Valley could very easily - perhaps very probably - have ended up looking more like Bakersfield or Fresno than any kind of ranch.

Andy

"But I love Bakertucky and Fresneck," says everybody I know, facetiously. "Let's spend the weekend there!"

I have a few high school friends who are Paiutes who spend some time at the res in Bishop. I'd love to hear their take on this.
DarkShadow

Postby yikes » July 17th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Years ago, Sunset magazine had an issue devoted to the Eastern Sierra, and they had commented that although LADWP decimated the Owens Valley communities, looking back after all these years it appears that their land and water grab actually saved the Eastern Sierra from overdevelopment.
yikes

Postby Wingnut » July 18th, 2017, 9:07 am

Hetch Hetchy was another land grab that made SF bay area spread possible.
Wingnut

Postby BobK » July 18th, 2017, 9:57 am

Just look at the land a mile north North of the confluence of Hot Creek and the Upper Owens. As soon as the land becomes private, there is no hunting, fishing or trespassing clear up to Big Springs, where it becomes federal property. One would be foolish to think that it would be any different down here. BobK
BobK

Postby Baughb » July 18th, 2017, 11:47 am

acorad wrote:Not to mention the Owens Valley could very easily - perhaps very probably - have ended up looking more like Bakersfield or Fresno than any kind of ranch.

Andy

So maybe the state would've built a high speed train to the Owens Valley if it was more like Fresno? ;)

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby acorad » July 18th, 2017, 4:29 pm

Baughb wrote:So maybe the state would've built a high speed train to the Owens Valley if it was more like Fresno? ;)

Bob

Ha! And it would've made hourly stops at Bishop International Airport.

Andy
acorad

Return to General Fly Fishing